• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV community tool box

richingalveston

I was considering trying to start a community tool box, for tools specific to the CUCV or tools that are rarely used but needed such as my compression testing kit and the Tiny Tach I am about to buy.
I don't plan on installing the tach permanently, I only plan to use it to calibrate my in dash tach that uses the Dakota Digital interface.
I have used my compression tester once and it sits on the shelf. The Dakota Digital will do the same.
I have not come up with other tools to do the same with but I am sure there are many that could be put in the seldom or barely used category.
User's would have to pay the shipping both ways but it is better than shelling out a lot of cash for something that is rarely needed.

Not sure if this is something that could be added to the forum classifieds. I have found most people here are good people and I do not believe anyone would not return a borrowed tool.

Like to here what others think.
Rich

AECS

Sounds great, but I don't know of to many SS members in CA central Valley... Now in Jan when I move to Millington TN that will be a different story...

richingalveston

No one is close enough to each other to make this work on a local basis. Most tools I can think of would fit in a flat rate box. The borrower would have to pay the fees for shipping to and from but $20 to $30 bucks to get the use of a tool that would cost much more and be seldom used would be a benefit that most would enjoy.

I have a snap-on diesel compression tester that will test through the glow plug connection. The set cost about $250. I have used it once. It has adaptors for most diesels but I would just ship the gauge and adapter that would be needed to save on shipping.
I am in the process of buying a tiny tach to use just for calibration.
Glow plug removing tools would be nice to borrow if I ever needed it.
I have two spare glow plug controller cards, they can be used as a tester to make sure that is your problem before purchasing a new one.
I do not know if you could ever get some venders involved with this to offer a try before you buy. I sold my tires and rims to another member here and I also shipped him my centramatic balancers so he could try them before he bought some. if he likes them he can keep mine and can buy me a set and have them shipped to me. If not he is only out return shipping to me for the opportunity to try them.
There are many items that would fit the try before you buy category.
I have found the SS community to be made up of very honorable people and I do not believe getting tools returned would be a problem. In some cases tools can just be shipped to the next person that needs it instead of back to the owner. Last person to use sends back to owner.

Rich

richingalveston

Send me a pm with your info, I will see what it cost to send you my tester. All you have to do is remove the glow plugs, screw in the adapter, hook up the gauge and turn it over a couple of times and record your readings. Engine to engine the test will vary some but the important thing is to see that all cylinders are close to each other.

Takes an hour or two to fully test and put your truck back together

Soaper

it works when you think about it.
we do this on our lightning forum alot. 04 lightining go fast truck... anyway simple tools like an flywheel lock so we can remove the lower pulley to put an different one on etc... weve done alot of crazinees in sending parts.tools to help people. its fun but its also alot of trust in the people sending the stuff to.

and usually it dont cost much to send it.

rusty if your in fear of the glowplugs going out update to the 60gs . dont drive for an couple days. soak with pb blaster and remove. ive seen swollen plugs but honestly maybe an few on 100s of engines ive done. i figured my 86 chevy van 6.2 with manual glowplugs were swollen since i had an switch on/off and i left it on for about 50 minutes while driving... oops. so once i killed the original plugs they came out without an hitch. i now have an heavy duty push button switch but not like it matters since that 6.2 blew apart... lol

anyway good idea Richingalveston once i get moved ill go through all my kent moore tools specific to the 6.2

Last edited:

rsh4364

the only CUCV specific tool I have is a OTC 5060 Detroit Diesel injector socket which I used today,made in USA,I had to use a hammer to pound in a 3/8 drive ext. to get a rachet to fit on socket,after that deburring all went well.I kind of expected a better socket since it cost 52.$If anyone needs to borrow let me know.

Last edited:
it works when you think about it.
we do this on our lightning forum alot. 04 lightining go fast truck... anyway simple tools like an flywheel lock so we can remove the lower pulley to put an different one on etc... weve done alot of crazinees in sending parts.tools to help people. its fun but its also alot of trust in the people sending the stuff to.

and usually it dont cost much to send it.

rusty if your in fear of the glowplugs going out update to the 60gs . dont drive for an couple days. soak with pb blaster and remove. ive seen swollen plugs but honestly maybe an few on 100s of engines ive done. i figured my 86 chevy van 6.2 with manual glowplugs were swollen since i had an switch on/off and i left it on for about 50 minutes while driving... oops. so once i killed the original plugs they came out without an hitch. i now have an heavy duty push button switch but not like it matters since that 6.2 blew apart... lol

anyway good idea Richingalveston once i get moved ill go through all my kent moore tools specific to the 6.2
i have the 60gs waiting to go in. Only need about 2-3 seconds with the glow plugs on for her to start right up. This winter should be a good test to how they are performing.

Brett

Mg84648

I've got the Cox 200ml epoxy gun used for glueing panels and floor repairs. 3M makes a gun which runs around $70 and this one is $40 so if anyone needs to borrow it let me know.
I know for a fact it works with 3M and SEM 200 ml panel epoxies.

Attachments

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the tool sharing idea. Seems like the specialty tools group in project categories like brakes, suspension, steering, etc. For example I just had to buy a 7/16 12 pt socket , 18mm tubing wrench, and pickle fork to do some steering work. Any one particular tool isn't so expensive but its a lot of time collecting ALL the specialty tools for a particular task.

richingalveston

I have the steering wheel puller, lock ring remover and pivot pin tool for anyone working on a tilt steering wheel. I also have a pitman arm puller. If someone wanted to rework their steering then they would need all of them which is around $50 plus.

Many items would be better in a local loop. where they could be handed off and not mailed. The cost of shipping both ways may be more than what the tool cost.

cucvrus

I just use a 15m/m swivel socket on the bottom 2 and an open end wrench on the top one. Takes about 2 minutes. Does this tool also set the timing? Never heard of it. I use line on line timing. Hasn't failed me yet. Merry Christmas.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks