• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Cooling System Upgrade Kit

911joeblow

Interesting solution. The rear pistons have looser fit for this very reason. How much flow do you get through this small hose?
The total amount of flow we adjust is not a lot. We spent a lot of time testing and adjusting until we found the right amount to flow to truely balance the temps.

911joeblow

Guys we are tooling up for another batch but until they are ready we are down to only two full CUCV kits and two CUCV-Hybrid (with HMMWV crossover) kits. I wanted to give my SS brethren first crack before they are gone with summer here and all!

85CUCVtom

Guys we are tooling up for another batch but until they are ready we are down to only two full CUCV kits and two CUCV-Hybrid (with HMMWV crossover) kits. I wanted to give my SS brethren first crack before they are gone with summer here and all!
Good looking out! When is the turnaround on the next batch? I’m a little short on cash at the moment- that happens sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

911joeblow

We will be out of the full CUCV kits for 4-6 weeks. The Hybrid kits, 2-3 weeks. After we get back in stock we should be good for the remainder of the summer. You should be good on a kit later on when budget allows.

KamikazeKunze

Not sure they exist. Ordered my kit on 5/27. Was told they needed a few days to ship it and I’d get a tracking number.
I’ve PM’d them, left a VM and emailed direct from their website......incommunicado!aua

rsh4364

They do exist, and I am sure your kit is on its way. I am also sure it won't help you with your over heating problems. Between gm and amg the 6.2/6.5 diesel engine has been in production for 36 years and not once have they used a rear cylinder head coolant bypass system. There just isn't any scientific proof that the bypass helps. There have been several companies that made a bypass system but no evidence of really good data. Just good testimonials from guys who received the kits for free.

Last edited:

911joeblow

We dropped the ball on this one. I have been overseas for several days and the guys back at the shop messed up. Heads will roll when I get back. For now we are overnight shipping the package this AM. There is no excuse for this.

Not sure they exist. Ordered my kit on 5/27. Was told they needed a few days to ship it and I’d get a tracking number.
I’ve PM’d them, left a VM and emailed direct from their website......incommunicado!aua

911joeblow

Take a look at our blog article which gives you the details on the tech... https://paradoxbydesign.com/blogs/news/the-humvee-diesel-engine-cooling-paradox but for your comments specifically, GM started putting in a system like ours with the LS based engines. GM calls it a steam vent pipe, but it is the same concept. The latest engines no longer need the steam vent as they have re-balanced the coolant distribution with internal restrictions now that they have advanced 3D modeling to do it.

They do exist, and I am sure your kit is on its way. I am also sure it won't help you with your over heating problems. Between gm and amg the 6.2/6.5 diesel engine has been in production for 36 years and not once have they used a rear cylinder head coolant bypass system. There just isn't any scientific proof that the bypass helps. There have been several companies that made a bypass system but no evidence of really good data. Just good testimonials from guys who received the kits for free.

KamikazeKunze

Thanks a bunch 911joeblow,
I appreciate you overnighting the package got everything installed today!!!!!
I do have a question for you and others here who have used the kit......what’s the sensor located on the drivers side block off plate. I’ve been all over the Google and can’t seem to get it. I know the coolant temp sensor is at the front on the driver side near the exhaust manifold is this sensor for the glow plug controller to figure out if it need to run the GP’s?
If so what’s it officially called?

Edit: never mind, per the info on this site I think it’s the glow plug inhibitor sensor....however mine looks nothing like the part number listed here.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?81104-Glow-Plug-Inhibit-Switch

thanks again!

Last edited:

Bighorn

That is the temperature sensor that tells your glow plug card how much time to keep the glow plugs on.
If you plan on keeping your glow plug card active, not convert to manual glow plugs only, you need to put that sensor back into the cooling system somewhere.
Some of us put it back into the crossover pipe on the front of the engine.
Humvee crossovers have extra threaded ports that m1009 crossovers lack.
If you leave the temp sensor disconnected, your glow plug controller card will basically think the coolant is extrememely cold all the time.
Long glow times will result.
Potentially shortening the life of the glow plugs.

Kisssniper

911Joeblow,

I am currently running a 2006 6.5 Optimiser diesel in my CUCV, your kit sounds interesting after reading many of the post in SS. Would the kit even be beneficial to the newer motor I am running? I'm tracking that the newer engines had improvements in the heads that facilitated engine cooling. Please anyone feel free to chime in.

911joeblow

911Joeblow,

I am currently running a 2006 6.5 Optimiser diesel in my CUCV, your kit sounds interesting after reading many of the post in SS. Would the kit even be beneficial to the newer motor I am running? I'm tracking that the newer engines had improvements in the heads that facilitated engine cooling. Please anyone feel free to chime in.
We are officially back open from our summer shop vacation Monday but I personally just got back this AM so why put off till Monday what I can do now! The Optimizer, GEP and Navistar 6.5 engines are all upgraded from the 6.2ltr. Depending on the vintage and manufacturer you will have any combination of metallurgy improvements, main cap design changes, block casting differences and my personal favorite the over sized rear two cylinders ONLY to allow for the known overheating there to not score the cylinders and pistons when those two grow more than the other pistons due to the heat. There were other design changes in the civilian and/or military engines like the dual thermostat crossover, larger water pump with reverse rotation, the angled fan on the HMMWVs, etc all to attempt to fix this issue. None of these do we recommend spending money on by the way. The inherent imbalance issue remains in every 6.2 and 6.5 built.

So though you have a better engine than the original 6.2, more power, and improved rigidity in the block, you still have overheated rear cylinders and undercooled front cylinders. Our kit will fix this. Have a good weekend.

Last edited:

911joeblow

Product NEWS!

We have officially released V2 of the CUCV Cooling Upgrade Kit. V2 now includes several manufacturing changes we have been slowing integrating into V1 kits over the last several months so in order to properly maintain both the older build kits and these new ones we added the new version number. The end result for you guys is that if you buy a kit from today on, several of the fittings that you once had to assemble are no pre-built and permanently joined during manufacturing. The new kits are now assembled into a part count that is 1/2 the old total part count. So when you install this new version there is much less to do and it will take 1/3 or so less time.

In other news, we have been in the news! We are getting a lot of good press out in the wild on the CUCV and the Civilian 6.2L kits and as such these are really moving now. To keep up we have increased our production on these kits to try to have them on the shelf for everybody. More news: We are going to offer our soon to be released military fan controller for sale for those who want to build their own electric fan conversion and will offer the 24V fans separately as well. These will work well with the CUCV but will need some custom installation at this stage as we have not built a bolt-on kit. That is all for now, dismissed!

dougco1

I'm sure they will make it up to you somehow. Word of mouth is the best advertisement. How does your kit work? Thinking of adding them to my CUCVs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks