• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Cooling System Upgrade Kit

Bighorn

View attachment 698983Still have the crossover gaskets that came with my intake kit from doing my injection pump.

View attachment 698984By the way, I found this replacement airfilter on the shelf at Carquest in Lovell Wy.
I like the protective outer cover.

View attachment 698985Here is the part number for the filter on the left.

Supposedly my radiator will finally arrive tomorrow.
I love Wyoming.. just sometimes gotta wait for things.
Small price to pay for being able to shoot my .30-06 from the back door of my hou.. eh.. camper.

BTW, make sure to use permatex thermostat housing sealant on everything. I guess the new "Mix with anything" coolant eats normal gasket sealer.
Oh yea.
Forget Chevrolet Small Block thermostat spacer mentioned as a potential solution.
Just measured mine on my SBC 400 ci 76 K5- 3" across the bolts.
379 cu diesel measures about 3.5" between the bolts.
I think at the moment the crossover swap is the best solution unless a custom port tee is made that incorporates the thermister and the coolant connection on the back of the motor.

Last edited:

Bighorn

Well that's a bummer.
Nah.
An opportunity.
I see a crossover tube with the bypass and two threaded holes; one of which holds my glow plug thermister and the other the bulb of my temperature gauge.
Currently my aftermarket temp gauge is reading the water inside the water pump housing which has just freshly returned from the radiator.
With the HMWWV crossover, and the temp bulb up top, I will be reading the hottest water just before it enters the radiator.
Much more useful measure of how hard the engine is working.
When I install a turbo I will want an Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor.
The next best thing is an accurate coolant sensor.
My stock m1009 crossover doesn't have a place for anything but a bypass and a heater core supply nipple.

View attachment 698992
That Hmwwv crossover is just the place for the temp sensor.

Ooo_OOoo. IDEA HERE!
When 911JoeBlow makes the m1009 block off plate with the tee for the glow plug thermister; offer two of them to m1009 owners.
The driver side bock off plate can hold the coolant supply nipple to the crossover and the glow plug thermister.
The passenger side block off plate holds the coolant supply nipple to the crossover and another threaded hole with a threaded plug into which the bulb of an aftermarket coolant temperature gauge can be threaded.
Simplicity.
You make both block off plates the same.
They each have a tee with two threaded holes; one of which comes with a plug in case the owner doesn't want to run a gauge.
The advantage is versatility, and not having to touch the factory wire harness because the m1009 glow plug thermister just goes right back into place perhaps an inch higher.
AND m1009 owners will not need to swap an HMWWV crossover as a bonus!

Drock

I think at the end of the day the HMWWV cross over is the best solution. Having a boss for your temp gauge just behind the thermostat is worth it alone. And now it just makes it easier to install this kit, and have the boss for your glow plug sensor. I'm the worst when it comes to wiring and it only took me 15-20 minutes to solder two extension wires.

911joeblow

Nah.
An opportunity.
I see a crossover tube with the bypass and two threaded holes; one of which holds my glow plug thermister and the other the bulb of my temperature gauge.
Currently my aftermarket temp gauge is reading the water inside the water pump housing which has just freshly returned from the radiator.
With the HMWWV crossover, and the temp bulb up top, I will be reading the hottest water just before it enters the radiator.
Much more useful measure of how hard the engine is working.
When I install a turbo I will want an Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor.
The next best thing is an accurate coolant sensor.
My stock m1009 crossover doesn't have a place for anything but a bypass and a heater core supply nipple.

View attachment 698992
That Hmwwv crossover is just the place for the temp sensor.

Ooo_OOoo. IDEA HERE!
When 911JoeBlow makes the m1009 block off plate with the tee for the glow plug thermister; offer two of them to m1009 owners.
The driver side bock off plate can hold the coolant supply nipple to the crossover and the glow plug thermister.
The passenger side block off plate holds the coolant supply nipple to the crossover and another threaded hole with a threaded plug into which the bulb of an aftermarket coolant temperature gauge can be threaded.
Simplicity.
You make both block off plates the same.
They each have a tee with two threaded holes; one of which comes with a plug in case the owner doesn't want to run a gauge.
The advantage is versatility, and not having to touch the factory wire harness because the m1009 glow plug thermister just goes right back into place perhaps an inch higher.
AND m1009 owners will not need to swap an HMWWV crossover as a bonus!
Sorry guys, I have been off the grid for a bit.

I am a little worried that our CUCV block off plates that incorporate the sensor as well as the coolant fitting for our kits might be too tight for the available space. Now that I have established that the CUCV we used was a Frankenstein I am REALLY concerned. So before we put the finishing touches on could one of you guys that does not yet have a kit take pics of both sides of the rear block area around the block off plates? It would really help get these finished up. Thanks in advance!

BTW the plan is to source the male and female connectors for the temp sensor extension so it is a plug and play. Internally it will be soldered and weather sealed for fording and such. 24" has been mentioned as a good number but is there consensus on this or would 1-2" more or less be ideal?

The commercially available thermostat spacers will not work as they are very different than what our engines use. Ours looks similar but unlike the rest of the kit is natural aluminum to match the thermostat piping. We are adding additional ports for gauges and such you all might want to add. They will be 1/8NPT for standard sensors.

So just to keep everybody up to speed in addition to the existing HMMWV kits, we are going to offer both a full CUCV kit for those with no mods and then the kit for use with the HMMWV crossover. We are changing the CUCV-HV (HMMWV crossover version) as we speak to accommodate the extra length hose needed once we get some measurements we have asked for. We are also releasing a Humvee H1 kit and an 'All Others' civilian kit for GMC/Chevy trucks with 6.2, 6.5, 6.5T engines very shortly as well. With several Army units testing now we expect a busy winter ahead so we are ramping up to get all the private enthusiast and civi kits well stocked before the military kicks in.

Thanks again guys for all the support!

Bighorn

I will get you some measurements and pictures.
First have to cook breakfast for the guests.
And shovel a foot of snow off the hood!
Oh Wyoming.

I was going to swap a tee in to relocate my oil pressure idiot light and install the tube for a real oil pressure gauge on my break today anyways.

911joeblow

There have been several requests for an option to be made available with the kits to add an aftermarket gauge sender into the kit. Well it is now available. It can be added to any of the kits and placed in either rear block port as it sits in-line between the rear block plates and the hoses. It has a 1/8NPT port on the side to place a standard temp sender. They are $15+shipping if anybody wants them. Thanks!

GaugeAdapter.jpg

Ilikemtb999

There have been several requests for an option to be made available with the kits to add an aftermarket gauge sender into the kit. Well it is now available. It can be added to any of the kits and placed in either rear block port as it sits in-line between the rear block plates and the hoses. It has a 1/8NPT port on the side to place a standard temp sender. They are $15+shipping if anybody wants them. Thanks!

View attachment 701583
Any chance you’d offer your kit in all black? Or would you be willing to sell just the plates for the heads?

Bbcjake95

Got a few questions and suggestions. Would the 6.5 kit work on a civvy 6.5? also have you expressed this idea on some of the other 6.5 specific forums? Based on the feedback from people on this thread having good results, i could see this really taking off. I could see every 6.5 fan buying a kit like this. You could probably even get in with one of the big 6.5 performance vendors such as heath or ssd, and possibly get help with development and production into the civvy and performance world. I personally am VERY interested in this mod for my 6.5 rebuild when i can get around to it, because ive seen where you should spec wider clearances on the rear cylinders during rebuild because of this issue, and would love to be able to just have a uniform build. Be even better if it can be integrated into both single and dual thermostat crossovers for the 6.5, seeing as i currently have the single, but would love to upgrade to the dual, because hey better flows always better right? Would love to hear some feedback, and could potentially supply some parts for development from the civvy 6.5 in the future. Also how do you read the front and rear temp difference for development? Do you have a pair of sending units one at front and one at back? If not, that would be a good idea to build a setup such as this solely for your development, even if it would only work on the bench, so that you can have hard evidence to support your claims. Just in case you get someone who wants to try to slander your name, and turn away people before they even try the product, or attempt to steal your idea and market it as their own. Would love to see your business really take off, and potentially turn into an established 6.5 vendor. The website is well made and has a modern feel, the product looks well made, feedback is good, and the business concept seems good. Name is perfect for 6.5 performance, since those two together is normally quite a paradox! lol. Very eager to see how all this works out for you and the 6.5 community, LETS KEEP EM ON THE ROAD FOR YEARS TO COME!:grin:

911joeblow

Got a few questions and suggestions. Would the 6.5 kit work on a civvy 6.5? also have you expressed this idea on some of the other 6.5 specific forums? Based on the feedback from people on this thread having good results, i could see this really taking off. I could see every 6.5 fan buying a kit like this. You could probably even get in with one of the big 6.5 performance vendors such as heath or ssd, and possibly get help with development and production into the civvy and performance world. I personally am VERY interested in this mod for my 6.5 rebuild when i can get around to it, because ive seen where you should spec wider clearances on the rear cylinders during rebuild because of this issue, and would love to be able to just have a uniform build. Be even better if it can be integrated into both single and dual thermostat crossovers for the 6.5, seeing as i currently have the single, but would love to upgrade to the dual, because hey better flows always better right? Would love to hear some feedback, and could potentially supply some parts for development from the civvy 6.5 in the future. Also how do you read the front and rear temp difference for development? Do you have a pair of sending units one at front and one at back? If not, that would be a good idea to build a setup such as this solely for your development, even if it would only work on the bench, so that you can have hard evidence to support your claims. Just in case you get someone who wants to try to slander your name, and turn away people before they even try the product, or attempt to steal your idea and market it as their own. Would love to see your business really take off, and potentially turn into an established 6.5 vendor. The website is well made and has a modern feel, the product looks well made, feedback is good, and the business concept seems good. Name is perfect for 6.5 performance, since those two together is normally quite a paradox! lol. Very eager to see how all this works out for you and the 6.5 community, LETS KEEP EM ON THE ROAD FOR YEARS TO COME!:grin:
Thank you for your input and comments. We have a patent pending so we do have some protections in place for those that want to try to copy our system. We have completed the R&D and have civilian kits shopping the first of November. In fact you can pre-order right now on our site. We have not pushed sales for those kits to other markets as it is still in low production till the end of November. Our set-up for civi-6.5s fits both single and dual thermostat housings. The dual thermostat housings are a double edged sword. They move more coolant but they also don't give the coolant enough time to transfer heat inside the radiator. They do help with pump cavitation but we are not big fans of the set-up. That being said both will work and our system will balance both.

Bbcjake95

Yeah, they seem to be a love or hate thing. My dad said the dual setup also created some issues when working on a certain part, however i dont remember what specifically. Hmmm, that does make sense though... I wonder if theres a way to slow the flow through the rad, or if theres a way to provide better heat transfer... Maybe you could start producing a nice big aluminum rad setup to combat that issue in the future...8) What are your plans for the future? Do you intend to stick to just this type of mod, or are you shooting for development of other product/solutions for other issues as well?

911joeblow

Many years ago there was a movement to improve cooling and reliability in race engines by not running a thermostat. The theory was that they might fail closed and kill an engine and that more flow was better. Well they quickly found that the high flow did not give the coolant sufficient saturation time in the radiator to remove enough heat before flowing back into the block/heads. So soon after several builders started to use various sizes of restrictors in place of the thermostat to reintroduce the needed restriction to the coolant flow.

In another thread in this site, my conversation with a buyer was quoted who was concerned that the kits looked too small to flow enough coolant to have effect. Well the size is critical to balance the temperatures and not overcool the rear and in effect cause the front of the block to overheat, in other words reversing the problem. It is all a careful balance.

We are doing complete truck builds but for mail order we are finishing up the following:

We have an aftermarket visor set for sale now for Humvee trucks on our site now.

Fully mechanical overdrive 4spd automatic bolt in conversion for all 3spd Humvee and H1 trucks. Everything needed is included.

Aftermarket turbocharged and intercooled system for all military and civilian 6.2 and 6.5 and OEM 6.5T engines. Again everything needed is included.

Bolt on full length rocker and wheel well armored rock sliders (jack plates).

Seems small but, rear seat belt head protection pads for the OEM 'C' pillar. We feel these are needed and they should have been made by the OEM but weren't.

Dual heat and a/c systems for the front and rear of 4 door trucks or just front for 2 door trucks. We have a few different options with these we are working on. Again full bolt in kits.

We have a couple of roll bars and a full exoskeleton cage but we are having a hard time making them mail order friendly and retain the integrity of a real safety device.

There is more.....

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

Most of those companies already had kits pretty much exactly like this and have been phased out probably because of demand. This is not a new idea in the least bit.

911joeblow

We are not a large shop and we are OK with low production numbers so long as the product is top notch and is an improvement over what is or was out there. So far we have only done things that we found were substandard to our expectations and could be done better. I don't want to be a mass producer, if I did I would be working on KIA's. ��

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks