• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Door Latch Post replacement

Barrman

I remember a thread from years ago about the plate in the B pillar with a threaded hole. This plate is what the post screws into. The plate is also made to move so the post can be adjusted. The thread from years ago which I could not find today talked about how the plate could fall down into the bottom of the B pillar when the post was removed. There is no way to access the bottom of the B pillar to get the plate back.

With that in mind, I used big welding magnets around the post and very carefully removed the post and carefully screwed in a new one that was round and had the plastic bushing on it. I did the same for the other side of the truck.

I tried the same method a few months ago on the Blue Bomber. The ex USAF Suburban needed all 4 post changed out. I put my magnets on the B pillar, removed the post and heard "CLUNK" as the drivers door plate hit the bottom of the B pillar. Not a good feeling. Thankfully, the Suburban has an access hole down there behind the plastic trim. I was able to put it back in place and replace the post. The same thing happened on the passenger door. I went to do the rear door post and didn't because there is no access of any kind from the C pillar. I didn't change them out.

Today, Colton and I went to change the post out on RED. Before we started, we tried to look behind the plate or inside the B pillar. Since the seat belt reel is not installed yet, we could see the plate through a small hole. Along with the retaining pieces to hold the plate up. I still didn't trust it, so a screw driver was put in behind the plate as I unscrewed the post. The retainers actually held it in place and I was able to take the attached picture of the plate held up with a bit of room between the threads and the bottom of the hole in the B pillar.

That gap means you can probably loosen your post, let if go as far down as possible, look at it from the bottom and see if there is a gap. If you have the gap, chances are your plate will not fall and it is held up by the retaining pieces. If there is no gap. Then I would suggest you pull the seat belt reel off, look in the hole behind it at the back of the plate and see if you still have retaining pieces there. I couldn't get a picture of the retaining pieces through the hole. Sorry.

Those of you who have no plastic bushing on your door latch post will really benefit from changing in a set of new ones. Most auto stores have them for around $7.00. They make a huge difference on how easy the door closes. I figured somebody out there was a worried as me about the plate falling down and then having to cut a hole in the B pillar to get it out. Hope this helps.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did them on my bambalance Saturday. I bought a box of 25 striker bushings on an auction site for less than $10. I replace them on everything I own. I remember the clunk on my burb when I did it. Was a pretty easy fix. On the CUCV you can reach around and hold it. I've sent out several sets of them to friends and still have some left. They make a world of difference on these trucks. Pointer, lift up and down on the back of the door when barely open. If it has play you may need a pin and bushing kit. Good post Barrman

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Earlier today, I just changed out the strikers on my '86 M1008 with Dorman ones (made in china though...) and on the pickups, nothing holds the threaded backing plate - you just reach around and hold it in place.

I changed out the strikers on my two M1009s and must have got lucky as the backing plates stayed in place during the switch...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks