• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV extended crew cab 2 ton build?

wayne pick

That's very tempting! But I really want to keep the 2 sp rear, I think that will make my drivability while towing much better. I dought the 4x4 versions came with the 2 sp rear.
These trucks seem to be scarce around here. If anyone knows where I can get a grill, let me know. I am having a hard time finding one, and mine was busted in 3 pieces.
The 2sp rear is a great idea, but im pretty sure it will only work in either high or low range. Splitting gears with an auto trans may cause the trans to shift up when you shift the rear down, and vice versa. Depending on the axle ratio, the 2sp rear in high may not benefit you at all and only give you a super low ratio when the rear is in low.

4x4e350

The 2sp rear is a great idea, but im pretty sure it will only work in either high or low range. Splitting gears with an auto trans may cause the trans to shift up when you shift the rear down, and vice versa. Depending on the axle ratio, the 2sp rear in high may not benefit you at all and only give you a super low ratio when the rear is in low.
You are correct, you can't split shift with the auto, but you can use the rear and shift into high once moving at higher speeds. I find with a auto, you dont lose engine RPM's as you do with a stick, and the gear spread isn't as noticable, so split shifting really isn't necessary.
I have a 2 sp rear in a 64 CO International, with a 350, 700R4 (a long story), NP230 TC. I use low gear to take off with a load, then once in 3rd, I shift the rear into high, it works out very well.

4x4e350

Great project, thanks for the pics!

It looks like you have the skills, why not fab up a custom grill?

Rick
Thanks!
I had considered fabbing one up, but the way this grill is designed, I just don't think a fabbed up one would look right, atleast not as good as a stock one. I will eventually make a grill gaurd.

wayne pick

Wild build e350, nice and neat. I believe a four headlight Kodiak grill will fit your truck but I think you would have to change the radiator support for the headlight buckets. It may look too modern though and take away from it's looks.

4x4e350

Can you post some pics of the rear bumper? Are you planning on pulling a gooseneck? I'd like to see it converted to 4x4...
I'll get some pics tonight, but there isn't much to see. I kept the frame about 24" long in the back and attached the bumper to it, so I could have the tailgate down, and use the bumper as a step, plus hall lumber. Not planning on pulling a goose, but probably a 5th wheel. I set the axle about 5" farther back in relation to the bed, you can't see this because of the dually fenders, I did this to give me more room for pulling a 5er.
I've converted 3 different vehicles to 4x4, for what I plan on using this truck for I just don't see any reason to add the extra weight. I built this truck to pull my boat, so it will mainly be used on good roads.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks