• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv glow plug wiring

MarcusOReallyus

Hmmm. Shooting from the hip (so I'm probably wrong) I'd say it's 14-ish. Mebbe 12. Each GP is pulling roughly 12-13 amps peak, and its not a long distance, so I doubt you really need to go to 10 gauge. It's been a few years since I changed out the stock connectors (replaced with .250 connects for the AC60Gs), so I'm going from memory.

saltman

Marcus I’m with you and that is EXACTLY why I am asking, because if one goes by the book here at least from the images posted it’s looking like 18, call me crazy, but I really don’t think those oem green wires are 18 gauge 🤷‍♂️

SomeNewGuy

Hmmm. Shooting from the hip (so I'm probably wrong) I'd say it's 14-ish. Mebbe 12. Each GP is pulling roughly 12-13 amps peak, and its not a long distance, so I doubt you really need to go to 10 gauge. It's been a few years since I changed out the stock connectors (replaced with .250 connects for the AC60Gs), so I'm going from memory.
With electronics, I dunno my elbow from my... whatever. Question is, inst it better to go UP in guage when in doubt, assuming the proper fuse is 'up river' to ensure the electromatronic doesnt fry itself, but the extra wire to ensure it can pull enough power? Or am I more ignorant than I think I am?

MarcusOReallyus

Which is bigger? A 12 gauge shotgun or a 20 gauge shotgun?

With shotguns, sheet metal, and wire gauge, a bigger number is a smaller thing.

But when it comes to railroad gauge, I have no idea! :D

You won't hurt anything by going to one gauge size bigger (smaller number) than stock. So if the stock was 16 gauge, then 14 gauge would be a nice upgrade.

(y)

SomeNewGuy

Which is bigger? A 12 gauge shotgun or a 20 gauge shotgun?

With shotguns, sheet metal, and wire gauge, a bigger number is a smaller thing.

But when it comes to railroad gauge, I have no idea! :D

You won't hurt anything by going to one gauge size bigger (smaller number) than stock. So if the stock was 16 gauge, then 14 gauge would be a nice upgrade.

(y)
Man... only thing I know is green tastes better than blue

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using on an online voltage drop calculator.
Voltage Drop Calculator

Stock 18ga wire 5ft in length will have a drop of .796212 volts.

An upgrade to a 14ga wire 5ft in length will have a drop of .394920 volts.
So one can expect a .401292 volt increase by going to a 14ga wire at 12 volts with a 12.5 amp draw.

The above calculations are based on the following parameters:
5ft long copper wire
12.0 VDC
12.5 amp draw

I used 5ft as a guess for the longest GP wire length. Some of the GP wires will be shorter.

M1009_SPAIN

Hi Antennaclimber,

Had a look at the wiring diagram here and compared with the actual wiring in my M1009.
Please see attached picture, Green arrow and circle near the bottom.
May I ask you to have an expert look at that connection?
Could it be that GM by mistake crossed the wires in the green box, when they were drawing the diagram?
There are physically 2 black wires coming off the first (bottom) post which is the "ground", so I understand and the yellow wire from the temp sensor goes to the second post, which then is "Temp Sensor (+)".
Not that this is a major change but for correctness, in particular for simple minds like myself, who have a hard time understanding any electronics and schematics...

Thank you,
Jake
Could the temperature sensor on the driver's side rear part be used to install a temperature sensor on the dashboard? and leave the yellow + cable and the black - cable of the sensor without connection, since my GP card is dead and I had to make a manual switch to the glow plug and the wait light that has never turned on since I bought the truck.

thank you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks