• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv Hard Start

Macmatrix

I have a 86 m1008 that cranks very slow (like dead batteries) when you first turn the key. After turning the key after a minute or two it will crank fast enough to start. After it is warmed up it will start right up. The truck has good batteries, new battery cables,new positive starter cable, doghead relay mod and a rebuilt starter.

acesneights1

I have had a few 12v 6.2s do that . Something was wrong with the starters in them.Never had it with a 24v though. Also sometimes the ground cable can be bad. I actually found a bad cable using a battery load tester. Try load testing the batts using the cables (not hooking directly to the batt). The cables should carry a decent load. It the batt tests good hooked directly but not when testing it via the cable might be your probably.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You didn't mention any thing about glow plugs. Did you check to see if they are
functioning normaly? Is it possible that they are responsible for the parasitic load
on the batteries. Just throwing a few things out there for the experts to comment on.

Assel

Im 90% sure its a dead battery / bad connection, if your Batteries are 100% good it could be a messy connection point right under that small plastic cover behind the batteries where all the thick cables head to.

I once had exactly those symptoms on a 87' BMW e30 , if started cold it was like "tok...tok....tok...tok" after 4-5 attempts (each one about 20 sec of cranking, on each additional try it was faster) it would start. Warm it fired right up when the key was turned. Replaced the Battery and never had any more problems.

rustystud

Why would the truck start right up after running?
The truck is already warm and the fuel is already at the pump. Warm engines always turn over easier. Cold oil is like molasses, warm oil is like water. I also would check the battery ends for corrosion. My CUCV had great looking cables. Then I unwrapped the ends and found mass corrosion eating the cables. I ended up replacing all my battery cables with 2/0 cable.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks