• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV hot wire and steering lock

Gunfreak25

CUCV returns to me after 3 years.

In a bit of a pickle here, wow it's been years since i've posted.......anywho.....my old M1009 is coming back to me. Driving an hour to pick it up tomorrow and trailer her home. She's in a tow yard, no key's. Unknown running condition (hence the trailer).

However, if I can start it or at least get the steering wheel unlocked it would make it a world easier getting it on the trailer.

I know 12V to the IP solenoid will energize it. Now I believe the starter solenoid can be jumped from under the dash. Purple wire?? Don't remember.

More importantly how difficult is it to disable the steering lock pin? If anyone can link a youtube video i'd appreciate it. I'll be in El Centro California tomorrow afternoon to pick her up and bring her home to Yuma.

Appreciate the help guys, I miss this place!

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

I'm also going to re-key the entire vehicle as they are all different. So if jamming a darn tool into the ignition lock works.....i'll do it.

Merddin

If ignition cylinder has not been changed previously, then any cucv key could work. They were all the same. Don't know if you have a buddy with a cucv that would let you try his key to unlock steering wheel. That would be easiest!

If that won't work, you will need a puller to remove wheel from splines at a minimum.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont know anyone with a key locally. I'll bring a puller.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Do you have a decent locksmith in town ?

"The key blank required for the CUCV is called a "B" blank. The code used to copy the key is 73Y2. Same key for doors and ignition." Thanks to Warthog for this information.

[h=1]CUCV key[/h]

Gunfreak25

That is awesome, thank you. Local shop said they can make one for $15 or $20 buck's. If memory serves the truck had the original ign cylinder in it when it left me 3 years ago. I doubt it's been changed.

cucvrus

When you have the steering wheel off to change the lock cylinder get the lock pin moving freely. It will make everything work better as afar as the key and ignition switch goes. I have a car with no key. It is great. Push the button and go. Have a Great Day.

Gunfreak25

Got my key, 15 bucks. Does it look correct?
I'll be heading to pick the truck up this afternoon. It's a crazy story that I will explain later.

From my reading here it says if towing (dolly) putting the tcase in neutral is sufficient.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got my key, 15 bucks. Does it look correct?
I'll be heading to pick the truck up this afternoon. It's a crazy story that I will explain later.

From my reading here it says if towing (dolly) putting the tcase in neutral is sufficient.

Yep.

Attachments

Gunfreak25

We are using a UHaul tow dolly to bring this back home. It's only 75 miles or so. I just thought, will an M1009 front axle fit on a tow dolly? I read a couple places the wheel base is too wide, gonna have to figure something else out maybe.......I know the rear axle is narrower. So a backwards tow might be my only option, and pulling the front prop shaft of course if we decide to go that route.

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check if the 1986 K5 blazer/pickup will fit. If so, you're good. Otherwise, I'd personally go with their largest car-hauler vs. the tow dolly, although I know it's more expensive.

Gunfreak25

As it is this was a total surprise and I've had to scrape the barrel to come up with the roughly $900 to bring it home. The tow dolly is all I can afford at the moment. The man on the phone took information for a 1986 K5 full size so if the computer say's it fits....well see i guess.

cucvrus

If you were closer I would have left you borrow my CUCV tow bar. All is well. The dolly will get the job done just fine. Drive safe and easy. No racing. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks