• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV hot wire and steering lock

Gunfreak25

Shes home. Pics and story tomorrow. The tow dolly worked great. Not optimal but it was a short straight boring drive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had an 82 chevy swb with 33s on it and a dempco car dolly. It did not fit forward. Did not try backwards. Granted, the car haulers may be different sizes, don't know. If you have, or have anybody you can borrow from, a set of later model (88-98, or such) stock wheels and tires might help. They were more inset, so may give more clearance. Good luck.

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oops, looks like I missed your last post before I replied. Congrats on getting it home. Looking forward to pics and "the rest of the story".

Gunfreak25

So here's the story. I'll try to be short. I traded this M1009 to a man 3 years ago for an m35a2. It was a good trade. We spoke a weeks before he trailered his m35 to me about an hour away (on company equipment). On arrival, he said he'd forgotten the title at home. But hed mail it ASAP. Well being 24 years old and my dream m35 in my driveway.....we traded right there....and again being 24....no bill of sale on either end. Well, the months passed and he stopped returning my calls. I was stuck with an m35 and no title while he had my perfect running titled 1009. The m35 ended up being sold to some folks who used it on the farm. WITH and bill of sale this time...notarized..

This was 3 years ago. Monday I received a letter from the El Centro Cali police. My blazer had been sitting on the street with expired tags, my old plate still on it. Still in my name. It was at a tow yard in El Centro. A dozen phone calls later to confirm the legalities, I had a fresh title at the local DMV, new registration and insurance. It was time to go get what was still mine. Legally.

We dollied it back. Worked great. Inspection reveals the truck sat very unused. He only put 1000 miles on it. Hard to believe with no Insurance and expired tags. Yeah I know, I got lucky from a liability standpoint. Real lucky. But we learn.....

Truck wasnt touched at all. The local yard did steal the batteries. That's my gut feeling anyway.

I bought this originally in 2013 for $1300.
I replaced everything on the truck almost, including a repaint, an aux stacked plate trans cooler, resealed the motor, axles, trans, tcase, etc. My parts list was still in the glovebox.

My ex girlfriend and I had amazing memories in this thing. We went everywhere. She cried when I traded it. We both deeply regretted it for years. It's not often you get something back you thought youd never see again.

The truck will need the following

-all new matching locks for 1 key
-all rubber fuel lines replaced
-oil changes
-tcase rear output seal
-new front and rear driveshaft u joints
-front battery bracket with hardware
-batteries
-horn button rebuild kit

If anyone can help with any parts I'd be most appreciative.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations. It is a rare opportunity to relive the past. Hopefully she will be up and running soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks