• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV m1008 bed conversion

cook6657

I think if I weld a frame at the bottom of the trailer around the wheel wells I can keep the shape of the original bed. I will play with photoshop tonight and see what I can get it to look like. I agree that the frame showing doesn't look as good. My current bed is more fiberglass than steel, so I am going to do the swap. I am going to start repairing the trailer this weekend. Anyone have any experience with permatex or CRC rust converter?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will preface this by saying when I was trying to doctor this pic, it was with the intent to use the bedsides on a wrecker body. The back was chopped short for the cause but you will see the general gist of it.

Attachments

cucvrus

What if you started out with a clean CUCV bed floor with the front wall , bed sides and tailgate removed. Wheel wells still attached. You could build on it from there. Put the sheet steel on the sides and the tubing and cap it all around with angle. I think that would work well as the floor would then be the exact height and mounting would be a breeze as would the rear bumper. Just a thought. Seems pretty easy.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What if you started out with a clean CUCV bed floor with the front wall , bed sides and tailgate removed. Wheel wells still attached. You could build on it from there. Put the sheet steel on the sides and the tubing and cap it all around with angle. I think that would work well as the floor would then be the exact height and mounting would be a breeze as would the rear bumper. Just a thought. Seems pretty easy.
This is the basic plan with my wrecker project.

cucvrus

We did this before. Used the bare bed floor bolted 2 wheel houses together and used it to make a utility bed with dual rear wheels. It was not all that hard if you have a welder , plasma cutter , and are good at fabrication. We put store bought truck tool boxes behind the cab under the sides at the same level as the bed floor. I have 35mm pictures somewhere. It was on a M1031 cab chassis that was sitting for about 10 years and never had any updates or upfits done to it. I don't know why the M1031 cab chassis had duals but it did. That cab chassis had less then 1K on it when we did the upfit. Keeping the body line straight is the key to a good upfit. And not making it so ungodly heavy. Thus the OEM bed floor. We used 12 GA. galvaneal steel , box tubing and angle. The rear bumper remained stock.

cook6657

Well the cucv is all done. 6 inch lift recentered hummer wheels on board air and welder. I did do the bed conversion, and I will post pics tomorrow. Going to help my brother get his Cherokee with gen 1 350 running. I think it turned out well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks