• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV M1008 trailer hitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

coecamo

Has anyone installed a reciever hitch on a M1008? If so what brand or hitch number? With the tow shackle brackets on the frame mounting could be complicated. Gary 86 M1008

1stDeuce

Blazer uses a different hitch than a pickup. I believe the blazer hitch is tougher to install because between the pintle brackets and gas tank, it's almost impossible to get the bolts in and tightened. Think you almost have to drop the tank to get it done. Or weld it on. :) If the trailer height is high anyway, you might just get a combo ball/pintle hitch and bolt it on where the pintle bolts. Might be easy to make something that uses the stock pintle mount and easy access frame bolts if you know or are a welder. Hmm. Good idea for a money maker for me!!! Who wants a ez mount 2" receiver that hangs out right below the pintle?? :)
C

Last edited:

Midnight Rider

Blazer uses a different hitch than a pickup. I believe the blazer hitch is tougher to install because between the pintle brackets and gas tank, it's almost impossible to get the bolts in and tightened. Think you almost have to drop the tank to get it done. Or weld it on. :) If the trailer height is high anyway, you might just get a combo ball/pintle hitch and bolt it on where the pintle bolts. Might be easy to make something that uses the stock pintle mount and easy access frame bolts if you know or are a welder. Hmm. Good idea for a money maker for me!!! Who wants a ez mount 2" receiver that hangs out right below the pintle?? :)
C
Yes, the Blazer's do use a different hitch than the pickups do. The width between the frame rails is the problem. The Blazer's frame rails are closer together.

You do need to remove the support bar for the hitch. I plan on cutting my bar down and welding it in between the braces of the hitch, then I can bolt everything back up. I also had to leave one of the bolts out of the passenger side tie down loops. I've got the bolt in there now and it won't come out, but I can't get the nut on the bolt. I plan on welding it in place to sometime.

It is sort of hard to get the bolts in and tightened down, but not impossible.
You do NOT have to drop the tank to do it. I think that would be an even bigger pain.

You will also need to hammer the safety loops up to clear the hitch. They're still usable, just not hanging down like before.

I ordered the Valley brand from O'Reilly's for my Blazer.

I can post pics of my setup sometime if someone likes.

scoutdoors1000

Rider...Pics would be much appreciated. When you say you have to remove the hitch support bar, do you mean the Pintle hitch support bar? I have no pintle hitch but the bar that bolts between the lift shackles and the frame is still there. Is this the one that has to come off?

SCoutdoors

67_C-30

Yes, the Blazer's do use a different hitch than the pickups do. The width between the frame rails is the problem. The Blazer's frame rails are closer together.

You do need to remove the support bar for the hitch. I plan on cutting my bar down and welding it in between the braces of the hitch, then I can bolt everything back up. I also had to leave one of the bolts out of the passenger side tie down loops. I've got the bolt in there now and it won't come out, but I can't get the nut on the bolt. I plan on welding it in place to sometime.

It is sort of hard to get the bolts in and tightened down, but not impossible.
You do NOT have to drop the tank to do it. I think that would be an even bigger pain.

You will also need to hammer the safety loops up to clear the hitch. They're still usable, just not hanging down like before.

I ordered the Valley brand from O'Reilly's for my Blazer.

I can post pics of my setup sometime if someone likes.
I'd be intereted in seeing those pics too. TIA!

ultim8gamr

My M1008 had a class IV putnam hitch on it that was installed by the previous owner. here's part of a PM that I sent to another member that asked about it in the past

If memory serves its a Putnam Class IV hitch. I will find all the other bits of info i have on it soon for you.
Found the pics. These were taken before i put the lift on, i'll try and snap a few tomorrow if the weather holds out.
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/7585/1013355fy8.jpg
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3637/1013356vb9.jpg
http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/4202/1013357ja3.jpg
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2462/1013358kc3.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6851/1013359my8.jpg
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/6610/1013360ob7.jpg
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2619/1013361gl3.jpg

and the site for the hitch
http://www.putnamhitch.com/products_...rs.html#class4

EDIT: it looks like the putnam hitch link is dead, i'll leave it up in case it is just a temporary site down.

Last edited:

BIG_RED

I saw one on a M1009 that had basically had two hitch receivers pointed towards the truck that fit over the tow hook square steels. It had a standard 2" hitch receiver in between pointing away from the truck. It looked solid, might've been a custom job. That'd be great though, no mods to the truck and it still comes off easy - just pull 2 pins.

Midnight Rider

Rider...Pics would be much appreciated. When you say you have to remove the hitch support bar, do you mean the Pintle hitch support bar? I have no pintle hitch but the bar that bolts between the lift shackles and the frame is still there. Is this the one that has to come off?

SCoutdoors
Sorry, still haven't had a chance to get pics, but I can answer your question. I guess I missed it the first read through.

Yes, I had to remove that support bar that you are talking about. I plan on cutting mine down and re-welding it in between the receiver hitch. I believe I had read a thread on here where someone had done the same thing before.

I'll TRY to post up pics tomorrow if I can get some free time.

Midnight Rider

Here's the pics of my hitch on my 1009.

The support bar for the Pintle hitch has been removed because the hitch won't fit on there with it. As I mentioned in another post, I'll probably cut the bar down and re-weld it in between the support arms of the hitch. Then fasten everything back down and it should be twice as strong.

I had to bend the safety chain loops up. A big sledge hammer took care of that.

On the passenger side, I had to remove a nut off of one of the bolts that holds D-ring bar to the frame. I couldn't get the nut onto the one of the bolts for the hitch with it there. The bolt is still in as you see in the pic and it can't come out because of a support bar for the bumper. I'll probably just weld the bolt in so it won't move around and it will add strength back to the D-ring.

I used existing holes in the frame, didn't have to do any drilling.

I've included a pic of the wiring harnass as well. It is on the driver's side.

I've also included some pics of the Cherry Bomb glasspack mufflers that I put on. Bought those at Autozone, much cheaper than the OE mufflers. I have them re-routed to exit out in front of the rear tires now.

If anyone needs a better pic or a different pic of my setup, just let me know.

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks