• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV M1028 Tach Assistance

cavetech

I have a M1028 that I am delighted with. I would like to install a tach to keep an eye on engine RPM's.

How can this be done with the 6.2 engine? I heard one can be plugged in to the back of the alternator. What tach should I buy?

left side.jpgrt side.jpg

I thought I would show it off.

Thanks,

Steve

MarcusOReallyus

It's been discussed at length. There are a number of options available. There are some tachs that can sense the RPM from the alternator, others require an optical sensor.

A quick search on "tachometer" shows hundreds of threads. You've got some reading to do! :)

That is one clean machine you've got there! I like it!

Too bad someone vandalized it with that white paint, though. :cry:

:whistle:

:mrgreen:

:beer:

Skinny

Aside from the tiny tach and the autometer gauge that has a sending unit which wraps around the alternator, there is very little content on the internet regarding a proper tach install on a 6.2 engine. Good luck on your search and post up if you are able to make something work.

cucvrus

016.jpg008.jpg017.jpg009.jpgI had posted all this information in the past about the 2" tach. I have a VDO tack that is triggered by the left alternator pickup point. Been using it for 5 years with out fail. I have posted better pictures but this is what I pulled out of my hat at this time. I will locate the box the VDO tach came in and give you better information. Sorry for the crappy pictures of my zero budget build.

Last edited:

truck1

Can't go wrong with the TinyTach. Be sure to paint the transducer after install. Great unit and super easy install. Really nice looking truck also.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't really need a tach but when the 4 speed goes in the wrecker project, I'll ditch the vaacum pump and install a tach drive in it's place.

llong66

There is a company called Speed Hut:
http://www.speedhut.com/gauges/diesel-tach/search:diesel+tach
That link will take you to their diesel tach section. I don't have their tach yet but have several of their other gauges and I love them!
If you check them out, make sure you look at all of the customization options for their gauges, not just the display pics. You can change face color, font, back light color,on and on, many different things. Their web page isn't the easiest to navigate, but you can give them a call, they are really nice to deal with. They have diesel tachs ranging from 21/16" to 4", different trigger style too. You can look under dual gauges also, or in some cases they can make a one off for you if you have special needs.
Great quality and they are made here in America! They aren't the cheapest but I don't think you can beat the quality!
You have a really nice, clean looking truck!! I hope you enjoy!!

goldneagle

If you check my thread on M1008 recovery and modification you will see details on how I installed a tach on my truck. I even put the micro switch setting for it.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not a big fan of the Tiny Tach. To begin with, part of the romance of driving these 30-year old trucks is the feeling of operating a machine from the 1980's, before the time of computers, email, iPhones, credit cards, health insurance, O.J. Simpson, terrorists, Obama, Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus. When I climb up into my M1028, I go back in time. Suddenly I am the master of my analog machine, with no computers or text messages interupting my thought process or requiring me to respond. I am free to drive where-ever I choose without any interference from modern technology. My finger is on the pulse of my truck; I am listening to the engine and drive-train noise; I am watching the idiot lights, hoping the oil pressure and water temperature sending units continue to work but have no reason to send an alarm; I am in another world. Somehow, the digital read-out of the Tiny Tach just doesn't fit within this picture. I apologize to all those fellow SS members who have installed the Tiny Tach, however there is no way I could install such a device in my truck.

I hope this inspires thought and self-evaluation.

goldneagle

I am not a big fan of the Tiny Tach. To begin with, part of the romance of driving these 30-year old trucks is the feeling of operating a machine from the 1980's, before the time of computers, email, iPhones, credit cards, health insurance, O.J. Simpson, terrorists, Obama, Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus. When I climb up into my M1028, I go back in time. Suddenly I am the master of my analog machine, with no computers or text messages interupting my thought process or requiring me to respond. I am free to drive where-ever I choose without any interference from modern technology. My finger is on the pulse of my truck; I am listening to the engine and drive-train noise; I am watching the idiot lights, hoping the oil pressure and water temperature sending units continue to work but have no reason to send an alarm; I am in another world. Somehow, the digital read-out of the Tiny Tach just doesn't fit within this picture. I apologize to all those fellow SS members who have installed the Tiny Tach, however there is no way I could install such a device in my truck.

The tech I put in my truck is analog and has been working great. I tapped into the brown line coming from the alternator.

Attachments

MarcusOReallyus

To begin with, part of the romance of driving these 30-year old trucks is the feeling of operating a machine from the 1980's,

Or maybe even the 1960's!

Or maybe..... 1817? Hmmm. Not many cellphones around then.

The first mechanical tachometers were based on measuring the centrifugal force, similar to the operation of a centrifugal governor. The inventor is assumed to be the German engineer Dietrich Uhlhorn; he used it for measuring the speed of machines in 1817.

Oh, bless me father, for I have sinned! I have departed from The Sacred OEM! I must reflect and repent!

:cookoo:

Hey, drive by ear and idiot lights if you want to. It's your truck, knock yourself out.

But get over yourself!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks