• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Mud & Snow Help Please.

I can tell you from living in the high country for over a decade that that tire K'sa in the snow over anything else that you can put on that heavy of a truck, no matter what they say. And I get an average of 500 in. a year.

PropDr

I would look at the Interco super swamper LTB series or Denman ground hawgs and have them siped at a shop or do it yourself.
Tire Siping

It makes a noticeable improvement in traction with mud tires on wet or icy pavement. It also lets the tread flex and conform better while driving off road for better traction.

wjruth

BFG All Terrain is one of the few tires on the market that have the severe weather rating and not just M&S. Mud tires do well in mud but they tend to not do so well on the highway. I ran BFG All Terrains on a CJ-7 and the only time I got stuck was when I parked on a snow pile overnight and it turned to ice.

Timber

wallew and makerstelemark: I have been looking over the recommendations here. I am not done yet; but I found this regarding the Cooper M+S:

I realize that we all have our opinions; but "scientific" tests are hard to ignore... still looking. Thanks
I had a Cooper Discoverer fail at highway speed on a civvy K5 some years back. It was an earlier version of the tire but it was 31x10.50-15 tires on 15x8 rims. The casing split from the tread to the bead and nearly caused a bad accident with me and my daughter in the truck - front tire failure. Random anecdote, but I won't run Coopers on a dare.