• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Registration Question

undysworld

Does your state allow you to register your CUCV for normal use? Like with an Auto, Truck, or Collector plate?

Wisconsin has been giving us grief, trying to force CUCV owners to register for Parade/Display uses only. One owner has already filed an appeal to fight this. I'm helping her, by trying to find out whether other US states restrict your uses of your CUCV, or if you're free to use it to go to the grocery store, etc. How is your CUCV registered??

It would be most helpful, if I got your name, state, and tele number along with your reply, because then it's admissible in court. But I'd be happy with just knowing your state and registration option.

You can pm me, or reply on the forum.

NOTE: This appeal does not effect the recently passed "HMV" law, nor your ability to choose to license your CUCV for Parade/Display purposes if you want to. It is just about the right to choose normal registration instead.

Thanks for any input!

Paul Underwood

ps. I understand how you might be suspicious of giving out your personal info over the internet. By way of establishing my credentials, here is a link to an appeal I previously filed and won over my own military vehicle: http://dha.state.wi.us/home/Decisions/DOT/2008/tr080027.pdf

The outcome of this appeal will apply to all CUCVs in Wisconsin. Please help a fellow owner in her (our) fight.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Michigan, an owner of a CUCV can register it as a regular civilian vehicle, such as a K5 or K30, neither having restrictions on use.

Matt65

No problems here. My M1008 is registered as a K30. There was no mention of this truck being "military" when it was registered. Insurance was applied the same way.

Whitey

Maryland, Body style- 2 Door, Engine- Diesel, Make- Chevrolet, Model- Blazer. I believe that's how the form read. Diesel engines are exempt from our stupid emissions inspections. Historic registration also allows you to skip vehicle inspection.

Last edited:

WARWAG

We need to as a group stand up and help our fellow brother. All this comes down to is discrimination against us Military Vehicle Owners. I can tell you for a fact that most of these problems come from the Oober Left Wing idealist behind the DMV counter. These are the same people who think our Military personel are terrorists! I once had a PHDer call the Sheriff on me and my crew why we were working on installing our Seismic Station just because I was wearing a camo shirt! Im not kidding. The Sheriff was as shocked as I was when the little nerd approached to confront us while the Sheriff was there :cookoo:. Anyway we need to fight these problems when and where they occur. If not you will see our Rights trampled on. PM sent.

Last edited:

runk

Texas-
your choice of-

Truck - by weight; no restrictions; must comply with all current inspection requirements if it has never been registered in Texas before; if used commercially, must comply with additional commercial requirements

Antique Vehicle - more then 25 years old; cheap 5 year tags; no inspection requirements; "parade, display, club event" type use only (although the definitions are pretty liberal); don't know why you wouldn't use FMV though

Former Military Vehicle - no age restriction; can use bumper numbers; same benefits / limits as antique vehicle; big long thread all about this one-
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/politi...-texas-fmv-laws-former-military-vehicles.html

My Deuce is just a big pickup according to Texas (registered as such). Had to add clearance lights (as would any out of state dual wheel truck) and some other minor stuff to pass the initial inspection.

undysworld

Thanks you guys, and please keep 'em coming. The more I get, the better.

Whitey,

Thanks for the reminder: Body Style is an issue too. Wisconsin wants to brand our titles with the Body Style "Military". WTFO?

Runk,

Thanks for the details.
your choice of-
This is the key, the owner must have a choice of registering their vehicle according to that owner's intended uses.

91W350

Mine are registered as a 1986 Blazer with a regular car plate. My pickup is a 1987 Chevrolet truck registered on a 12,000 truck tag. My deuce, even though you did not ask, is on an antique tag. In Ks there are no restrictions on antiques unless you use them commercially. A flat 17.50 a year tax and antique plates do not expire. I am free to use all three as I wish, no mileage, weight, type of usage restrictions at all. If you need a name, just jet me a pm. Glen

Woodsman

I haven't been through this yet, but have been looking around for info. Here's a link to something I found that might be helpful also. Since I'm planning a move right now, this is not a pressing issue for me at the moment, but did want to share what little I've found. Hope it helps you.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in California my M1009 is registered as any other SUV. An it is old enough to be exempt from emissions testing. I don't think the M1009/1008 etc are old enough to qualify for special plates.

undysworld

Woodsman,

That letter on that link was written by Tom Zat, of Alfa Heaven,, and it was delivered to WisDOT as part of his efforts to address the problem. Tom is involved in the current appeal, as the selling dealer. My request for out-of-state information is on his and the owner's behalf.

I urge you to contact Tom or myself privately, as we would welcome talking with you, if you are planning to apply for normal registration on your vehicle.

There are several topics already begun on the Politics section, if you haven't already found them. I started this thread in an attempt to get registration info from other CUCV owners nationwide. I'd ask that any discussions about the political situation in Wis. please be kept on the Political sections.

Thanks,
Paul

Here in Colorado, my M1028 is registered as a postal vehicle. We don't even have mail delivery where I live. Insurance was a bit tougher, but I finally found a computer that would issue a policy. We don't have inspections or emissions either.

camogriz

In New York, my M1009 registered and insured with no problem, as a Chevy Blazer. The M1008A1 I used to have was also no problem as a K30 pickup truck.

txmytx_catahoula

I picked my M1009 up in OK and it already had a title and plate registered as a D10 Chevy blazer. Texas transferred the title and issued plates, no problem. USAA insured it after I explained that it was former military.

Pops506th

I just registered my M1010 here in NV. It's registered as a Chevrolet D30 "Postal/Military"

It was previously registered in CA as the same thing. No issues.

I did find out however that Progressive Ins wouldn't insure it because it "was a military vehicle and not designed for civillian use" That is a direct quote from the customer service rep I talked to. Progressive lost not only the business from that one vehicle, but the other vehicles I had insured with them. Allstate had no problem insuring it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks