• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV revving up too high when first started, also sometimes sticks at a high RPM

thepenguin99

New to me M1008 issues, getting it back on the road

Recently bought a CUCV that had been used by the local county at auction. It must have sat up a while because they had it marked as non-running and didn't even try to start it. When I got it home it seemed to start reasonably easily for something that had been sitting. That said, when it first starts it revs up way too high and calms down after about a minute. Also, whenever you rev it up it will sometimes stick at the higher rpm. Normally I would think this is a linkage sticking issue but the linkage is returning to the idle position at the pump.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try unplugging the green wire at the fast idle solenoid, it may be out of adjustment.

thepenguin99

Disconnected the high idle solenoid. Still seems to want to stick at high rpms sometimes though it may be getting better the more I run it. Either that or I am getting used to it.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recommend two-cycle motor oil instead of ATF.
It's designed to be burned.
ATF isn't and has friction modifiers added in.
Not the best thing for a IP or injectors.

Do a search about Additives.
Plenty of discussion about each and more.

I also run a can of seafoam in it once a month.
Keeps things clean and water out.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Diesel fuel additives are a wonderful thing to use to add to your diesel fuel.

They actually are used to maintain the fuel!

thepenguin99

It may have fixed itself. Seems like it was/is something inside the IP sticking from sitting up. Drove it a bit today and it didn't even offer to rev up higher. Now onto getting one rusted up front lockout working so I have 4wd and maybe fixing the charging system.

When I bought the truck I thought I was going to pull the axles and junk the rest because the body is pretty rough and it was listed non-running. They started or at least turned over 90% of the vehicles at the sale, including ones listed as non-running, but skipped this truck completely. As far the body it has tons of surface rust, cab corners have small holes, front bumper missing, seat/dash trashed, cracked windshield, etc. After driving it a bit now I am less sure about junking it. Motor sounds good, it shifts like it should, mud grip tires that looked good but I assumed would bounce horribly don't seem to bounce at all.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are worth saving if it's at all possible.

There are fewer every day.

Unaltered ones are very hard to find now.

thepenguin99

This one is salvagable but I think it would be better suited to a custom project rather than trying to put it back 100% original. For now I am just fixing what I can that doesn't cost me much of anything. May let the next owner figure out what to do with it after that.

cucvrus

I have several unaltered ones that are decent and buyer are fewer to find every day. If you have nice stuff it is worth the price. I have a few that are 100% stock and just the paint is altered. They still don't sell. So I just use them. Never in a rush tosell them. Someday. Maybe. Till then. I will get money out of them thru fun or labor.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like mainly surface rust.
Very fixable
Body looks straight, hard to tell with just two pics.

Paint is easy.
Bumpers and such are usually on eBay, etc.

Its running.
Your already ahead of the game.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might I also add that as long as the VIN plate is on the dash by the windshield, it's good to go. I'm 85 miles between E and ESE of Chattanooga, if you find yourself in the area, I have a front bumper for you.

thepenguin99

Probably should create a new thread but I am going to try just adding onto this one instead. Today I started attempting to get the charging system working. Checking at the batteries neither battery is being charged. Checking at the output of the driver's side alternator it does seem to putting out 14v and change. The output of the passenger side is 24v so it seems like the driver's side is working but it isn't making it to the battery and the passenger side isn't working at all. When looking at the wiring I noticed the PO had cut the original output wire for the driver's side alt and wired it to the solenoid on the firewall. Looking at http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=278241&d=1321230865 that doesn't seem to be correct. My question is what is this on the diagram: cucv wiring.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks