• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV startup sounds

CUCVSRK

I know the CUCV's are supposed to make a sound while the wait light is on and turn off when the light does. What is it that is buzzing and why isn't mine doing it? Also if anybody knows the part number or where I can get the part that would be great thanks.

richingalveston

if it is your glow plug relay making the sound then that means it is about to quit. The only time mine made any sounds is after I converted to 12volt, the relay would make a buzzing sound, that lasted for about a dozen starts before the relay died. I do not beleive the CUCV's used any door buzzer type equipment, maybe the civy units had a buzzer while the wait to start light was on but not the CUCV's. I could be wrong but the three that I have owned never buzzed.

bshupe

Mine has a seat belt buzzer. If Im not mistaken it is a little black box adjacent to the fuse block under the dash on the drivers side. It looks like a door chime type of thing with a little circle of slots in it. You could put some tape over it to mute it or take it out to kill the sound all together.

Either way I don't think it is related to the glow plugs it is for the seat belts. Or at least it is off/on with the seat belt light in my truck not with the wait light although they are on at the same time but different durations.

RuzzP

My dads 86 civi half ton has that god awful seat belt buzzer.... be glad you don't have it lol. My1009 doesn't have one.

ramcatdoc

I just replaced all 8 glow plugs. They were probably failing for a lot longer than I realized, as the truck starts quickly and definitely now. But I now notice that the wait light stays on longer (perhaps because it now sees normal rather than excessive voltages?). I generally wait until the voltage meter goes to green before I turn on my lights or start to drive. Not sure if this is necessary.

I also notice now, perhaps 30-45 seconds after the wait light goes out and i crank, that I hear a brief ratcheting/grinding noise under the steering column. The volt meter then jumps up to green. Is this the controller card turning off? It sounds like someone applying a parking brake.

I never do hear the rhythmic clicking of the controller cycling on and off, (perhaps because of an idling engine?).

The truck is certainly starting very well and seems to be behaving well in every other respect. Just don't know what I'm hearing.

Any ideas?

ramcatdoc

Another question related to this glow plug issue. Do I need to wait for the wait light to go out before i crank, even if the engine is warm because I've just driven it? And if I do crank before the light goes out, do I need to wait for it to go out before I drive off?

ramcatdoc

If the Wait light is coming on upon restart of a fully warmed up engine, you might want to check the glow plug temp sensor.
Is this located on the back of the left-side cylinder head?

I also have a manual glow plug button that was installed before I bought the truck. I have never really used it. Is is possible to have both set up and useable?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks