• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv stereos

kipman

Here is a question for all you cucv guys, what modern car stereo will fit a m1009 without cutting the dash?, or are there any.

Westech

CPL
well really yes and no.. Year one has radios that will fit "nob" type. that's the only type that will fit with out cutting. you can get "nob" type at walmart and other discount places but they stink.

joeypushjr1

every radio comes with a install kit its reall not that hard and as far as cuttin if you do it right itll look stock let me go take a pic of mine and get it loaded here .....

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm getting my 1009 this week and I'm planning on 3 20mm ammo cans - one between the seats for the control unit and two in the back for speakers. I'm going to put quick connect fittings on them so I can pop them out if I'm taking it to a show.

AJMBLAZER

Do a search, we've discussed this many times in the past.

As joey said if you're good with the trimmer you can make it look factory. Mine's in the same place. If you're more creative there's all kinds of places to put it - middle of the dash being one.

There are no modern CD playing stereos that fit in the factory space. The bargain bin pile might have some tape players but they're a dying breed. Most of the modern setups in the truck restoration places are CD changer control units. Don't like CD changers so I have no use for those sorts of things. Zip zip zip zip with the trimmer and a regular DIN sized radio fits just fine.

jw4x4

One of our Kenworth tractors at work (T800 model) has a 2-knob style stereo in the overhead liner with a built-in CD player. I have tried, but have been unable to find where it came from. I am seriously considering doing a swap.:twisted: I really don't want to cut my 1009 dash, no matter how good it can be made to look.

I placed mine on top of the dash, in front of the registration and inspection stickers. I used two screws to hold the box it slides into down, but double sided tape would work. As I had also put down a dash mat, I bought a yard of fleece at walmart and wrapped the stereo in that. Looks fine, works great, and no vision blocked issues.

Wartburg

I put a over head liner (Highliner) from LMC in my m1008. I really like it. It also has built-in speakers system(it is the same price to buy it with the speakers or without and there pretty good) It is a little pricy (269.95) and made for the truck but I am certain you can make it work on your m1009. LMC Truck Parts: Chevy Chevrolet Blazer S10 GMC Jimmy S15 Ford Bronco Ranger Pickup Pick Up Accessories/Catalogs part number 38-2044-BL or page 111. I need to take pics and show you what it looks like.

ida34

There is a box made to house a stereo that is set up to just flush mount on the top of or bottom of a dash. It is like a little pod. This may be an option. I plan to use an old radio and siren console from a police car that I have sitting around. I have speaker boxes but am thinking of using some ammo cans for speaker boxes. I have seen several people use an ammo can for the radio that bolts to the floor. I have even see people put them in the glove compartment. Several options but if you want it in the dash then check JC Whitney also. They have the classic radio and most have CD changer controllers. I would guess that some have ipod inputs now also.

scottc

I installed a modern cd player/tuner on my 1008 in the stock radio space. Took time and patience to trim the plastic. It looks good. Not as cool as IRWFO's install. Went a step further and istalled two 6" speakers in the doors.

allrevup

All the above mention, plus you can always ad kick panels speakers (kind of $$$) but you can fav then yourself, you can fit 3-4 quality speakers for their size under the dash and you can always fit prety mush anything in the glove box(incognito) and easally replace back to OEM. I installed a AM/FM/CB radio but I rather listhen to the DIESEL drum for entertainment specially at Hwy. speed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks