• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Tachometer

True Knight

I installed a Dakota Digital tach interface so you can use any standard gas tach. Only issue I had with it is bad connections on my part, and the instructions don't say how close the sensor needs to be to the flywheel teeth. After looking up what the spec should be on google, I turned the sensor in until it touched the flywheel teeth, then backed it out half a turn and locked it down. Now it works great.
Universal Flywheel Tachometer Interface

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a recent thread about the Tiny Tach. Looked good. Search for it and you will find many threads about tachs in CUCVs

Last edited:

1986Blazerk5

Auto meter makes a low rev diesel tach, but its $130 and it looks nice when installed right and is very accurete. It also dosent take up much room the diameter is less them 3 inches.

jdemaris

Has anyone installed a tachometer on a CUCV? Can it be done?
There are many ways to do it.

Use an aftermarket universal tach sender box to enable any gas engine tach to work.

By a tach that works off the alternator stator. Some alterators already have built-in taps for hooking tachs to. If not, you just pull it apart and tap in.

By a tach that uses a photo-sensor that you attach to a rotating part of the engine.

By a 6.2 diesel vacuum pump with the electronic RPM sensor on top. That runs a tach nicely.

I've had an AutoMeter diesel tach on my 87 diesel 6.2 for 20 years. It's worked flawlessly. It uses the stator tap.

kapnklug

I just installed an Autometer diesel tach on my M1009. I found one on Ebay brand new for $80. It was easy to install, I put it on the steering column using a long hose clamp, and the probe goes on either alternator using another long hoseclamp. Works great.

lilymonster

Another really nice (although more expensive) option is to get a 2 1/16 diesel tach from ISSPRO Gauges. It installs very cleanly in the space to the left of your voltmeter on the upper right of the cluster. Some contact truck M1028's I have seen have had this exact ISSPRO tach/set up and that is what gave me the idea. Plus it feels a little more "stock" to have what the military themselves installed on CUCV. ISSPRO also makes extremely high quality gauges and the part numbers you need are R8503 for the tach and R8900 for their specific purpose built sensor kit for the GM 6.2. Alligator diesel has these parts or you can get them directly from ISSPRO

bevanet

My Banks turbo system came with one. It came with a sensor that mounts next to the balancer/pulley and works great!

bevanet

They should have a govenor so that you really can't over rev them unless perhaps going down a steep hill with the engine holding you back. In arizona one of the emission tests is to floor them in neutral and check the emssions. I think mine would rev to a little over 3000.