• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

cucvrus

I am currently involved in the repair of an M1009. I do several repairs each year to customers CUCV's. I have decided to post the repairs. This M1009 belongs to a return customer and is in decent condition. It was brought to me with a leaking fuel tank. DSCF6661.jpgDSCF6660.jpgDSCF6659.jpgDSCF6662.jpgI was going to make it easy on myself and set a goal of getting the skid plate off. It was cold and wet out today and I was working out on the dirt driveway. Stock clean M1009. It is 35* out today. Lets see how it goes. All stock everything. I put 13 G AC Delco's in it 3 years ago. That was the last time I seen it. DSCF6665.jpgDSCF6664.jpgDSCF6663.jpgGlowed it and the wait light went on and it glowed the normal time and started on the first few revolutions. DSCF6666.jpgDSCF6667.jpgDSCF6668.jpgDSCF6669.jpgMy first observation is that this fuel tank in this M1009 has been disassembled before. The strap nuts are supposed to have 2 on top. 1 to tighten the strap and then the wire loom clips and another nut to serve as a lock nut. PB Blasted the skid plate bolts and they were not the stock ones either. All is well. I used up my maximum pictures in this open post. Needless to say I will repost tonight. Happy Holidays.

cucvrus

And I had set the goa; of getting the skid plate off. On an M1009 that in itself can be a great task. I was able to meet my goal in about and hour. The skid plate was out and in order to do that the draw bar mustbe removed from the pintle hitch assembly. DSCF6671.jpgDSCF6670.jpgWith the skid plate and draw bar removed it was move on time. Things were going so well. DSCF6673.jpgThe filler neck was still held in place with the factory clamp. DSCF6672.jpgDSCF6674.jpgSnap that clamp is scrap. DSCF6675.jpgFiller neck and fuel fill cup all removed. easier to remove and clean for ease of reinstallation. DSCF6676.jpgSending unit ground wire is bolted fast to the left rear frame rail at the upper shock mount bracket. 1/2" ratchet wrench and it was off. A long screw driver pops the hot wire from the sending unit. Remove the fuel tank straps after supporting the fuel tank with a spare tire and some wooden 4 x 4's. I could se the problem. Whoever had the fuel tank out in the past did a poor reassemble job. Fuel lines are just bent and shoved up under there. The torn auxiliary port was the one hose leaking. DSCF6677.jpgDSCF6678.jpg Can you see the disarray? Things are going really well. That is on the fuel tank removal. I am not happy with the poor workmanship I have uncovered. But that can be repaired and corrected.

cucvrus

The fuel tank is out. And I exceeded my goal for the day. DSCF6681.jpgDSCF6680.jpgDSCF6679.jpgI really don't think the fuel tank is leaking but at this point I am going to coat a new one and install it along with a new pick up sock. The fuel line was leaking and probably when the fuel expanded in the heat it was a straight leak out the torn hose. I can correct this hack job. But looking at the fuel tank it does have a rusted bottom. DSCF6685.jpgDSCF6682.jpgDSCF6683.jpgDSCF6684.jpgWell there you have it. Many of the bolts were relatively easy on this job. I will replace all the fasteners when I reassemble it. Makes for a nicer cleaner job. Thank you for looking. I hope it is helpful. I used all hand tools the impacts would NOT break the bolts loose. Now it is setting in front of my garage door. Not in the way. I have another vehicle to work on tomorrow. Happy Holidays. More Later. Be Safe.

cucvrus

cucvrus

Tonight after work I decided to get new fuel tank coated. It was about 45* nothing falling from the sky. Perfect as it gets today. DSCF6687.jpgDSCF6688.jpg I washed the fuel tank with Prep-Sol wax and grease remover and set it outside. I dried it and blew it dry with air. Mixed up a batch of undercoating and went at it. DSCF6691.jpgSet it up outside on a stand and mixed up the coating. It is cold out and the coating was very thick. DSCF6692.jpgDSCF6693.jpgDSCF6694.jpg Same old deal. Makes a nice job. It takes longer to clean up than it does to coat the item. DSCF6695.jpgCoated top and bottom and stored away to dry. I have a fuel sock coming for it. I don't like working with tacky wet coatings and paint. I cleaned up the inner fuel door panel and blewit all out really well. I done the same on the underside floor above the fuel tank. It's a dirty job but needs done. DSCF6696.jpgBefore I coated and after cleaning. DSCF6698.jpgAfter coating. I know these can be rusty buggers on some M1009's.Many are rusted thru.DSCF6697.jpgThe floor area above the fuel tank. In decent shape. I cleaned it and applied a nice even coat of the undercoating. It looks better. That about wraps up my day of working on my Project M1009. Be Safe. Thank you for looking. Happy Holidays.

Attachments

cucvrus

DSCF6703.jpgA bit off subject. I stopped at a local scrap yard and they had a Chevy truck. I opened the door and it had factory buckets seats. That is a very rare option. I just wanted to show these. The yard was closed and I was just looking. Very cool. Have a Great Day. It appeared that the overhead had a console on it also.

nyoffroad

View attachment 784683A bit off subject. I stopped at a local scrap yard and they had a Chevy truck. I opened the door and it had factory buckets seats. That is a very rare option. I just wanted to show these. The yard was closed and I was just looking. Very cool. Have a Great Day. It appeared that the overhead had a console on it also.
If I found that at a yard I'd snap those seats and console up and stash them in the attic for a future project.

cucvrus

I don't have a future projects on any pick up models. I just wanted to share in case someone else was interested. I like the new remodeled site format. I have more progress pictures to post on a few of my current CUCV projects. The fuel tank is back in and a few more issues resolved. Have a Great Day. Happy Holidays.

cucvrus

I was very busy on Sunday afternoon. Taking advantage of the great weather. I ordered a fuel sock and had trouble getting one quickly. I looked over this replacement sock and BINGO it will do the same thing. Summit sent it and I received it on Saturday. The sock strainer that was in the tank was worn thru at the edge. Not completely. But NEVER remove a sending unit without A. replacing the sock. B. eliminating the sock. I was also able to diagnose the fuel gauge being sporadic. It had a loose ground. Someone tried all they could to attach the ground after the tore it off. They opened a spade and had it hacked in place. I drilled an 1/8" hole and attached an eye connection and a self tapping screw. I also eliminated the auxiliary pickup tube. Never needed it. I ask the owner. I cut a 5/16" bolt and ground it smooth. Attached all the connections with new clamps and new fuel line. I had planned on continuing my project today but was rained out again today. I have all new fasteners to attach the skid plate. Another dry hour or 2 and I can complete this project. i still have a gear selector to work on in the cluster. Oh Joy. Clusters. My all time favorite. Happy Holidays. Be Safe.

Attachments

cucvrus

Today it was a bit cold and damp but a job needed to be completed on the project M1009. I had the filler neck , fuel tank skid plate, and draw bar for pintle hitch to reinstall on my customers truck. I used the handy little battery operated kerosene pump to transfer the fuel from the old tank into the new tank. My joy was short lived the fuel gauge is still not accurate. I was laying in wet dirt not really mud. But I completed the job and was able to get everything moved and put away before the sun went down. Goal Exceeded for today. Thank you for looking. I hope you learn something. I did. I should replace sending units when the fuel tank is out. I was confident because I put the new fuel tank back in turned the key on. The gauge showed empty. That was before I put any fuel in it. I assumed all is well. Well assumed. Happy Holidays.

Attachments

cucvrus

Today was a very wet and miserable day. I had 2 hours of no rain so I took advantage of that time to crawl under and service the M1009 I have here to work on. All went well. My tip of the day would be change the oil pan drain plug seal. $3. or less gets you 2 new ones. Not needed every time you change oil but many still have the stock nylon one on them and they have long been worn out. I really liked working on this M1009. It is very clean and very stock. I like unmolested CUCV's. This m1009 is a bit past due for a fuel filter. It was last changed May 2009. I also addressed a few issues in the cluster. The shift indicator was broken off. I used a T nut and drilled a hole in the dash and cleaned and lubed the selector guide and cable. I reattached the cable to the column and completed the repairs. The Army had the dash apart and used big clips that never even served a purpose. I drilled 2 1/8 holes in the corners of the dash pad and used standard stock j nuts. I repaired the socket stud on the volt meter. Old fashion way with solder. That was easy. I also turned the volt meter straight and added a few missing fasteners to the cluster. This cluster needs to be taken apart and cleaned sometime. The owner was here paid and picked it up. Happy Motoring. That completes my current repairs and thank you for following. More posts as work comes in. Happy Holidays.

Attachments

cucvrus

A few more pictures of my efforts today. Rain has hampered all operations for today. Once wet I surrender to the house and recliner for the day. No point in over doing it. I learned when I was younger to fix things. I had a Yamaha DT250 dirt bike. I lived in a rural area. When things broke I had to fix them or I didn't get to ride dirt bike. I rode a lot of dirt bike. Nowadays it seems people just replace everything and call it improved. If I waited to replace everything I would get nothing done waiting for parts to arrive or running back and forth to parts houses. I installed a replacement stock fuel filter cartridge that was easy enough. 10 years use out of the one I replaced was good service. More later as it happens.

Attachments

cucvrus

After a long rest and being stored in the shed I decided today was the day to get the old CUCV M1028 battle wagon out and take it for a drive. It was inside in the dark and hadn't been run since September. It glowed and started like a champ. Nothing new there. As I emerged from the shed I noticed the state inspection had expired. I also noticed the front hubs were locked in and it was running on empty. The fuel gauge in this CUCV works great. I have some very dirty heavy work I want to complete and my Trail Boss is not going anywhere near the area of operation. When I look at this truck it is like it stayed in suspended animation. It just never seems to rust anymore and everything just stays as it was. Last year I had to use it as my daily driver and I froze in it and had to replace the heater core in winter outside. But all in all a great running truck and glad it is still here. I had tried selling it once and the guy needed so much information about it I just left the sale fall thru. Anyway I have a few dirty heavy jobs coming up and will keep in touch as they happen. 1 is a large pile of scrap parts I purged from my collection. When in doubt throw it out. Recycling may be low but it will still take up less room. 2 is the installation of a class 3 receiver. I want to do it and keep the stock spare tire carrier in place. I think I can do that. Welder, drill, bolts, anything is possible. I have the hitch from Big Red M1008 and had it sand blasted. I primed and painted it. Hey everyone Be Safe and Have a Great Day. Back to work tomorrow. Been out for 17 days. VACATION. DSCF6805.JPGDSCF6806.JPGDSCF6806.JPG

cucvrus

Today was the day. After sitting in the shed since September it was time to get the 1987 M1028 out and do some hard dirty work. This truck never seems to age. Like a state of suspended animation. I glowed it and it fired right up. Drove it out into the daylight and it ran like new. I noticed the Pennsylvania inspection had expired October 31, 2019. drove it to the inspection garage and dropped it off. I have a few dirty heavy jobs I need to get completed. Scrap metal from my clean up, fire wood, driveway stones. I will post as it happens. So far so good. This truck is a little rough but rough gets the job done in this case. Everything is 100% functional and all stock. It came from Fort Indiantown Gap. Sold it once before and been using in for a few years now. Old truck is easier to use for tough jobs than a new truck. Not as fussy about dirt and dings. I want to put a class 3 receiver on it and still retain the stock spare tire carrier. Should be simple enough. The jobs I have in mind the old CUCV war horse will be at home doing. DSCF6805.JPGDSCF6806.JPGBe Safe and Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

Not sure why that posted twice. I made the post and went to post and it was gone. This happened before. I rewrote the post and bam there it is again. it was NOT there when I looked after I posted it. Oh well same message just in different words. Still ended the same Happy Happy. Be Safe. Remember your day is what you make of it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks