• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV's banned in WI

Monty

I purchased mine from LA, with a LA title and had no problems at the DMV getting it titled and plates. But that's now, when the plates come up for renewal I guess well see what happens.

K9Vic

Interesting law I found in the Texas Transportation code while looking for something else and thought I would share. Guess this is why it was so easy to get a title here in Texas for my M1010 and for those in Texas that have issues, you can quote this law to the county tax office.

Texas Constitution and Statutes - Text Search
Search: "Military vehicle"
(with quotes)

Sec. 501.035. CERTIFICATE OF TITLE FOR FORMER MILITARY VEHICLE. (a) Notwithstanding any other law, the department shall issue a certificate of title for a former military vehicle that is not registered under the laws of this state if all other requirements for issuance of a certificate of title are met.(b) In this section, "former military vehicle" has the meaning assigned by Section 502.275(o).[
Sec. 504.502
In this section, "former military vehicle" means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle's size, weight, or year of manufacture, that:
(1) was manufactured for use in any country's military forces; and
(2) is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.

vtwinpilot

An update on the Bill's pending in WI. Next week Jan 20th in Madison, public hearing's on Senate Bill 404 and 392 both deal with civilian use of former MV's. I am lucky enough to still be working, so going is a longshot.............I hope some CUCV owner's can make it, this may be the tip of the iceberg for all vintage vehicle's.

mgramann

I know this is an old thread, but I figured I would update based on my experience with my M1009.

Licensing and Titling it was a non issue. I got all my docs from gov liquidation, made copies and sent to WI DMV. It took awhile, but I have a normal title with passenger car plates.

YMMV, but it isn't a hopeless situation in Wisconsin for the CUCV crowd.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awww, come on out to Colorado.

Still COLD here. Still SNOWS here but not near the humidity.

Registration is a breeze. You get your title in about six to eight weeks.

And you don't have to PUT them ON the truck. You have to have thme IN the truck, you know in case some LEO wants to see them.

But we got a law passed and signed by the governor and as of about mid-August the law is in effect.

So come on out to Colorado where the CUCV's and other MV's roam free...

avlon01

This came up at the bottom of the page from something else but just curious, how did this ever pan out ?
Military vehicles are OK to own with regular plates or with specialty "military vehicle" plates. They are OK to title, drive, and paint whatever color in WI.

My M1009 is painted in 3 color woodland and has a regular auto plate - no mileage or use restrictions. The title shows "Military" under make and model is M1009.

avlon01

Is this a he said, she said thing??
Nope - there was a big push by the WI DOT to ban military vehicles because they did not meet DOT standards (according to WIDOT). It took over a year for everything to play out and luckily there was enough feedback from MV owners that WIDOT caved and allows MV's to be owned and registered.

It was covered by the MVPA and many other organizations, including some classic car groups. If MV's didn't qualify, what was to stop WIDOT from going after ANY old car? Everyone worked together to beat WIDOT.

trukhead

Read this Thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?104453-Good-Change-Coming-In-Wisconsin

It was the work of these individuals and people communicating to their elected shills oops I mean politicians to let their views known!

All WisDot wanted to do was legislate by administrative opinion. It was the pressure on the legislature that changed the laws on the books to create the ability to license MVs' as the owners of these vehicles see fit.

Give credit where credit is due: the originators of the thread and their efforts and the people who contacted the shills oops i mean politicians.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks