• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cummins 250

powersmoke18

so what the heck does the 250 cummins engine sound like with no muffler?? i'm so tempted to make up a muffler delete for it but I really would like to know your opions!!! Pros and cons??? videos and sound bits appriciated!!!!

thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My XM818 barks pretty good. I have never heard it out away from the truck but a few other members here have.
as far as bleeding ears, I allways wear ear plugs so it doesnt bother me.
what i did was cut the muffler apart and gut the thing. then mig it back together allthough it could be stick welded as its pretty thick.
the main reason i gutted it was trying to lower egt's. did'nt work.
as far as video or sound clips you are out of luck as i can barely post pictures!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a IH road tractor with a 250 Cummins. I decided to strait pipe it. It was cool for about the first five miles but after that it was just hurting my ears. About the only thing louder is a 671 Detroit with no mufler.

powersmoke18

hmmm sounds pretty interesting to me!! think i may have to try it and get back to you guys!!! i was thinking about making two flanges getting two 90s and a peice of straight tubing and weliding something up. that way i can change it back if i don't like it! i kinda think a gutted muffler will act as a resenator and cut back on the sound.

M813A1

Talk to StreetBikeDepot ! He has a M818 with a mod that took out the muffler and it is a straight exhaust with NO muffler !! It sounds Great !! But I bet on a long ride it would rattle your brains a bit !! LOL !! Big cubes and Big sound that is what it is all about !! LOL !!!

M813A1 !!

Last edited:

powersmoke18

How many of you have insulated the cab with sound deadening material? Currently we are xtreme lining the floor, the plan is to line every part of exposed metal in the cab with multiple layers of Dynamat!! I.E. Floor, fire wall inside and out, hood, headliner, doors, basically the whole cab!!!! Just have to see how much noise that kills!! Then who knows how a Cummins 250 will sound!!! has anyone tried it???

goldneagle

i cant hear the radio in the cab with a muffler
I agree it is really loud with the muffler. Can't hear the person on my cell phone ear piece! I drove it over 5 hrs and it numbs your brain.

You would want to use ear protection if you go without the muffler! :driver:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
at the first ga. rally, the 819 was at the rear of the convoy, the drivers at the head end said that they could hear the 819 over there deuces, that was before the muffler blew out.

powersmoke18

Wow the more you guys post on this the more I want to chuck the muffler!!! It sounds like a great experiment!!!! anyone happen to know the part number for the exhaust gasket between the manifold and muffler, and between the muffler and the stack?? that way i can make up some flanges!!!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
im going to straight pipe the 819 when i get to it, im going to cut the flanges off the muffler, then weld a long flowing 90 to them. i dont care about the noise, its the about $300 for the muffler that i dont need

anyone happen to know the part number for the exhaust gasket between the manifold and muffler, and between the muffler and the stack?? that way i can make up some flanges!!! [/quote] this was a quote from powersmoke but part of it got lost somehow?

The flange gasket if i remember rite is just a 4" 4 bolt. i made mine.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks