• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins Problems - I figured out what my miss was.

CW3Topher

Lastnight I pulled my valve covers to do some trouble shooting on my M818 that AugieDoggy suggested to look for a clogged injector (power balance test). Looks like I dropped a valve on number 3 cylinder, and it's adjuster is gone, the piece that goes between the valves is broken on the other valve, and the adjuster is gone from the number 4 cylinder. Looks like the head will need to come off, and drop the oil pan to look for some of the missing parts. Only one of the adjuster and nuts were sill in the head, the other parts are AWOL.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to get the head repaired and buy the needed parts? Or should I just look for a replacement? Besides the miss and down on power, the engine still ran.

Attachments

rrrr

I would try TNJ Murray, Boyce, or white owl for parts. I would try to fix it first. I'm impressed that the engine would still run. If you have a big rig repair shop close by they might be able to help you out. As diesels motors go the NHC 250 is fairly simple, just really big !

Good luck and keep us posted.

indy4x4fab

Banned
I also suggest talking to glen (91w350) he maybe able to find you a good used head on one of his trucks he's going to scrap. Anther thing to think about here is what does the pistion look like now? Is the cycnder liner in need of replacement now? Does the piston need replacing? That valve went some where where it was not suppose to go.

Last edited:

RIDDLE1

I also suggest talking to glen (91w350) he maybe able to find you a good used head on one of his trucks he's going to scrap. Anther thing to think about here is what does the pistion look like now? Is the cycnder liner in need of replacement now? Does the piston need replacing? That valve went some where where it was not suppose to go.
That is what I was thinking. Dropped valves will beat the inside of an engine to death.

indy4x4fab

Banned
CW3Topher Give me a call when you can, I reasently went threw this with anther m813 and can lend you a few pointers that Will Wagner walked me threw on checking things to see how bad it is with out pulling the hole head just yet so you will have a better under standing of what parts you will need to start looking for. My cell number is in my sig line, call any time. Also willing to make the trip over there and back if you need an extra set of hands.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The parts are able to be bought throught a Cummins shop the crosshead and hope that nothing is down in cam follower it could be a big mess.
You may want PM me I give my PH I have Cummins Service Manual.
When I did The class to become A Certified mechanic for Cummins Bridgeway Michigan.

indy4x4fab

Banned
The parts are able to be bought throught a Cummins shop the crosshead and hope that nothing is down in cam follower it could be a big mess.
You may want PM me I give my PH I have Cummins Service Manual.
When I did The class to become A Certified mechanic for Cummins Bridgeway Michigan.
That's what I was going to walk him threw on trying to find the missing pieces of the valve retainer as well as the rest of the cross head, there's also an inspection port on the passenger side of the engine that will allow you access to the oil pan with out dropping it. Its about 6'' by 3'' remove it and them get you magnetic stick and go fishing, draining the oil will make this easier, as well as a small bright flash light will help you look around, too. DO NOT REMOVER THE CAM COVER, that's what Will told me, take that same magnetic stick and rap tape around it to help block the magnetic field so it doesn't try to stick to the side of the crank case or block, you should also be able to look strait down at the cam from the top of the rocker box, if you see an deep scratches on the cam lobes that's not good.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also the small parts have a tendency to find their way into the cup plugs in the top of the head, take a magnet and feel around in there too.

CW3Topher

Thanks for all of the advise with this problem. Indy and cjtroutt I will give you both a call, Will, I have read several of your posts on maintenance of the Cummins, great stuff. I appreciate the assistance that you all have to offer. I am going to drain the oil and pull the head this weekend and fish for parts with a magnet. I am expecting the worse, and expect to have to change the piston and liner. If that's the case, the oil pan will have to come off for sure. I dropped a valve in one of our drag race cars a few years ago, and got to see firsthand of what a valve will do to a piston and head of a big block Chevy.

jw4x4

Are you going to do the surgery where it sits? If so, I would like to lend a hand. Ya need to check out my new ride. :cool:

CW3Topher

Are you going to do the surgery where it sits? If so, I would like to lend a hand. Ya need to check out my new ride. :cool:
JW, yes, I am working on it at my daughter's house where it is. You probably pass it every day going to work. I should be out there tonight, drop by with the new ride, I'd love to check it out.

CW3Topher

I got the rocker box and intake off. Drained the oil, nothing came out from there. Push tubes were all bent on #3 cylinder, one was bent on #4. The exhaust valves on 3, has the dropped on that is all the way down the head, and the other, the valve stem was broke and came out by hand.

Attachments

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same problem back in '09 with my M818 - one of the #3 cylinder valves dropped into the cylinder while at 1800 rpm and 45 mph. Before I could shut down the engine, it hammered the he11 out of the piston, injector and other valves. Also, some debris got into the #4 piston, but not bad. Ended up replacing both pistons, liners, heads and rebuilt both injectors. It's still running great hauling round bales of hay.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/41716-recovery-disaster-long.html

Hope your repairs are not as extensive as mine were.

Ord22

Trailboss
You're right. He going to have to replace heads and cylinder kits on both. Do the job right so he won't have to go back into it. Good luck CW3 Topher. Keep us inform of the progress.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
you did not by chance have a engine OVERSPEED, because that is the damage I have seen from a over speed (piston hits the floating valves)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks