• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins WMO mix

CGarbee

I've been running at 50% in both the XM813 and the M817 for about six months now with no problems (3k miles on the caro, almost as many on the tipper...).

powerhouseduece

i have a question for you cummins guys. my old boss has a 1989 5.9l, do you think it will be ok if we were to run a 25% mix of filtered WMO? thanks.

CGarbee

I'm using a X100 filter housing with bag filters that are a bit taller than the ones referenced above... Pump the WMO from one tank (either a 55 gallon one in the shop of a 400 gallon tank trailer that I use when collecting from some local repair shops) through the unit over to a storage tank. I'm using 1 micron filters...
A place that sells the same housing that I have (available in a kit with a bunch of filter bags, differentail pressure guage, and legs) is located at:
http://www.filterbag.com/x100.php

CGarbee

Re: RE: Cummins WMO mix

powerhouseduece said:
i have a question for you cummins guys. my old boss has a 1989 5.9l, do you think it will be ok if we were to run a 25% mix of filtered WMO? thanks.

If I'm thinking correctly, you have bassically the same setup on the 89 six banger that I have in my '90 ReCon 4BT in my M37. The manual for the unit mentions running MO as an lubrication aid when running some of the "alternate" fuels through the rotary injection pump, so I suspect that you would be ok as long as you filter it well.
Try 20-25% and see how it does.
50% has been doing just fine in my '90 ReCon Cummins 4BT with the Bosh VE pump.

Re: RE: Cummins WMO mix

powerhouseduece said:
there is guys around here that are running 25-30% filtered WMO in there 12v's 98 and older. and run it on a regular basis. cant tell much diffrence. They smoke. but heck with as much as they got them cranked they smoke anyways :lol:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
RE: Re: RE: Cummins WMO mix

I'm curious and a little bit confused about the economy of using bag filters vs. spin-on filters, particularly in small-scale filtering (i.e., for my trucks which are driven very infrequently). I haven't used bag filters before, so I don't know how they compare to spin-on or cartridge filters with pleated elements. From what I've read, suitable bag filter housings appear to cost a few hundred bucks, and the bags look like they start at around $4 each, buying in bulk. On the other hand, spin-on filter mounts are pretty cheap, and spin-on oil filters from the auto parts store can be under $10. I also see spin-on hydraulic oil filters with stated micron ratings at McMaster-Carr (not the cheapest place in the world!) for under $20 each.

Do the bag filters last a lot longer before they need to be replaced, thus justifying the initial housing investment for somebody who's driving their truck a lot and processing a lot of WMO fuel? Would a spin-on setup make more sense for small-volume use (say, around 100 gallons per year) where it would take a long time just to recoup the cost of the housing? It just seems like I'd go through a lot of $4+ bags before I'd have broken even compared to a cheap spin-on mount using $10-$20 filters, and I don't have a feel yet for how fast I'd be going through filters.

CGarbee

Hmmm, didn't compage filtering WMO between the two systems as I was not doing it at the time, but in checking up on things beforehand, I found that some folks in my area using spin on filters went through one every 15 gallons with the WVO that they had (and of course, this gets a bit dependant on your source of waste oil and how you treat it before you fine filter it...), but a buddy was able to run the same oil through a sock filter and go for 400 gallons at a shot...

One of my coworkers is using a surplus military fuel fiter housing that he has converted to bags, it is likley the least expensive, large filter setup I have seen personally...

One thing that I like about my setup is that I can process a lot of oil on a Saturday afternoon... :) It's easy to see what is going on, and things are real flexible...

Scratching your head and asking (as you are doing) and thinking about what your are doing now and may be doing in the future is the best you can do. In any case, no matter what way you go, you can usually swap around, upgrade, trade, or sell pieces and parts if they don't work out "right" for you.

nf6x

Feral Engineer

Ah, I didn't realize that there was so much difference in capacity between bag and spin-on filters. Well, if I could find a good used bag filter housing for cheap, then bags might be the way to go, even though the per-bag cost isn't that much less than a spin-on.

powerhouseduece

cgarbee, we dumped 5 gallons of filtered oil in a 3/8 full fuel tank of that truck. the olny thing that we found is that after we drove it for 30 miles, when we let it idle for about 10 min. it would puff a very small amount of white smoke but if you reved it up it would go away until you let it idle for a min or 2. o well

CGarbee

Re: RE: Re: RE: Cummins WMO mix

powerhouseduece said:
cgarbee, we dumped 5 gallons of filtered oil in a 3/8 full fuel tank of that truck. the olny thing that we found is that after we drove it for 30 miles, when we let it idle for about 10 min. it would puff a very small amount of white smoke but if you reved it up it would go away until you let it idle for a min or 2. o well
Good to hear. My rigs all tend to blow a black (vs blue) cloud on startup, and will idle a little darker than before and then puff a bit on the first romp of the pedel after an extended idle, but otherwise, you can't tell a difference. Running down the road, I have no more visible emisions on the NHC250 trucks and just a slight increase on the 4BT than before the switch to the MWO/diesel blend.

Let us know how things are doing after you've been at it for a while. Especially if you notice a change in mileage (I think that I am doing better, but my loading varies so much it is hard to tell...).

powerhouseduece

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Cummins WMO mix

im really glad that i found this site you guys are so much help. quick story about that truck, i bought that truck off of a older gentlman who lived down the street from a friend of mine. that truck sat for about 5 years before a asked to buy the truck. i told the guy that i would get it running and drive it out. i had alot of faith in that truck. the olny thing that i did to start that truck was put a battery in it!!!!! it started on the 3rd revaloution!! i was shocked!!!! well all said and done i never tagged it, had to sell it in order to get the duece. that bummed me out. i gave it to the best home i could..... my old boss. sold him the truck for $800 wich is what i paid for it, he dumped $1k into it and made it one nice little truck to pull his little pop-up camper with it. when we dumped the WMO into it the 5 year old fuel in it!! hopefully i can get him to paint it OD green............

Yohan

It has been over 3 years since this thread was active and I was wondering how you guys have made out using the WMO blend in the NHC250. How many miles have you run since blending and have you had any problems with the engine? Thanks for any info!

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks