• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Currently Recovering my new M1009

cbauman79

I'm currently in the process of recovering my new M1009. So far it has been an adventure but no problems. I purchased it on ebay for $1625 and hopefully I'll only have $400-$500 in the recovery. I live in Nashville TN and the M1009 was in Manchester NH so I had to fly into Boston and the guy selling it picked me up at the airport and took me to his shop. It was about 2 hours of fun prepping it for the road. For some reason we could not get the headlights to come on so we just rewired them to a toggle switch to get me home. It only has 14,440 miles and the body in in decent shape. All of the floor pans are good just some rust in the tailgate, below passenger door, and some spots in the inner fenders. The wiring is a bit of a mess. It looks like I'm going to have to go through and rewire all of the lights. So far I'm about 120miles into my 1200 mile trip. The guy I got it from thought I was insane for flying in and driving it home. Just told him I didn't have a choice, only had $2100 to spend and the $800 shipping fee wold push me over budget. Plus I was in need of a good adventure. I'll post my progress and some pics later.

FatBuddhaBoo

Good luck on the trip and enjoy the ride!

Being relatively new to the M1009 myself, these things from my experience and research on here can cause nightmares when it comes to electrical issues. I myself had some lighting issues that I solved with a toggle switch that in the meantime is semi-permanent. Tons of info in the sticky posts and using the Google search at the top (don't use the normal forum search...)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bad contacts in the fuse box and corrosion were factors with mine. Simple to fix.

cbauman79

So far I just got finished getting a few hours sleep just south of Harrisburg PA. About to get some food and hit the road again. The wiring on this thing is definatly a mess. No dash lights or turn signals and its been kinda hard to start but so far I'm still moving. Driving through NY for the first time with a slow moving truck and no turn signals was insane. Hopefully I'll be home in about another 12hrs. I'll post some pics then, the lens on my phones camera is cracked so any I take now are blurry.

cbauman79

Well Now I'm stuck. Due to the "hard to start" issue, I've have not turned the truck off since I posted last. Well, I just pulled over to get some food and fuel and it died as I turned into the parking lot and won't start. I'm 2 miles from the nearest part store with no tools. GREAT. I had planned to stop at Harbor Freight and get a few tools but after it almost not starting on me I've been afraid to stop. Now I'm paying the price. If there is any one in the area I could really use some help before I resort to call a tow. I am a few miles from the TN-VA border on the VA side on 81south. It's cranking but just won't fire. I even "cringe" tried starter fluid. I know, I was desperate. Right now I'm just sitting at a MCd's reading the forum for tips.

Thanks

Last edited:

cbauman79

I'm pretty sure there is fuel. The gauge matches the miles driven. there should be about 10gal. The wait light had not come on at all since I picked it up and the previous owner installed a push button starter so there is no telling what was messed with. I believe I probably have a glow plug issue. Unfortunately I have no tools and am no where near to a store to buy some. Pulse it's now almost 9pm on a sunday and tomorrow is a holiday. So I'm probably screwed. I should of stopped for tools before it finally quit. The motor has been running smooth the entire trip. It does seem to want to stutter a bit if I press down the brakes hard at a while sitting at a stop light but that's been it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you wear the batts down, make sure the mechanical pump is getting diesel to the inj pump. The little bleed valve on the filter should have pressure. If the engine quit while running, the glow plugs have nothing to do with your problems. If you have ample pressure at the inj pump, check that the purple wire going into the top of the inj pump makes a click when you pull it off with the ignition on. If this is good too, get towed to a diesel repair place, you might need your inj pump overhauled.

cbauman79

Basically there is not much I can do tonight so I just walked down the road to a motel to chill out and regroup. I'm going to hump it to the local autozone about a 1.6 miles away tomorrow and get a few tools and check everything out. NDT I agree with you that since it died when I pulled in that it's probably a fuel issue. I was just too flustered to think it through earlier. I know that the guy I got it from said the only issue it had "running wise" was that if it sat for a few days without running that it would loose pressure and be hard to start. He said it usually only did it if it sat for a week but not if driven daily. I guess what ever the problem was it got worse. Once I have some tools I'll run through the checklist and repost what I find out. I just hope I can fix it and don't have to have it towed and worked on since it's a holiday.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "hard to start" issue is from the fuel system loosing prime due to air leaks. I would assume that something is wrong with the rubber lines in between the tank and the inj pump. I would buy several yards of rubber fuel line, clamps, an aftermarket electric fuel pump, wire, inline fuseholder, and inline fuel filters (several). I would bypass the fuel pump and firewall fuel filter by removing the rubber line coming from the tank (at the mechanical pump) and putting on a new rubber line, and run it to the new pump. Then on the outlet of the pump, install the filter, then run more rubber line as close as you can to the inj pump. Then, with the ign off, power up the pump and make sure you are getting good pressure with no bubbles (put the end of the hose in a cup). Then make the final connection to the inj pump and PRAY it will fire up before you wear the batts down.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT's advice is solid. Bypassing most of the factory stuff to get you home is faster than troubleshooting on the road. If you can get to the rubber line coming out of the tank, I would go as far as to pipe in there. Also consider the return fitting on the top if the injection pump. If the pump has started to fail some particles may clog up the check valve in there. In a pinch that glass ball can be knocked out to get you going. Still got a 280 mile hike ahead of you so you want to be certain that you can work around the problem. Unless we get super busy here at work, I'll be near the computer most of the day.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did anyone suggest simply changing the fuel filter and priming to try to get fuel flow going? Stalling while running sure points to lack of fuel. With any old vehicle that's going on a long trip, stuff gets stirred up in the tank and plugs up everything.

Bob (who knows nothing about CUCV's)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did anyone suggest simply changing the fuel filter and priming to try to get fuel flow going? Stalling while running sure points to lack of fuel. With any old vehicle that's going on a long trip, stuff gets stirred up in the tank and plugs up everything.

Bob (who knows nothing about CUCV's)
I agree, except that that method usually requires a few minutes of cranking to get the air purged. I doubt he has that much batt power left.

cbauman79

So far all is well. i have everything hooked up just need to wire in the switch. What is the best place to pull 12v from under the dash.

I'm taking a break to cool off right now had to walk about 6 miles round trip to get the parts I needed so I'm good and sunburned and overheating after getting everything hooked up.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks