• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cut open coolant filter from the deuce

joshs1ofakindxj

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The coolant filter is used as a "bypass filter", only a portion of the coolant flows through it, but in time 100% of the coolant will have passed through it.
The heater is also in a "bypass" config and it's okay to add another loop, which you can do by using a "T" fitting at the "in" and "out" connections for the heater (at the engine intake manifold coolant jacket and water pump respectively).
The red hoses in the image goes to my fuel tank heating system, but can represent the personnel heater loop in a general sense.

Attachments

Last edited:

Seth_O

Digging up an old thread: I have read through all the coolant filter threads I can find, and I cannot find any tricks for getting the pipe plug's out of the manifold and water pump housings. Mine are stuck, like Stuck, or maybe STUCK is more accurate.

PB blaster has done nothing, and I have a broken wrench to attest to my vigor in attempting to remove them.

What are you folks using to get them out? An exhaustive search for 4-pt sockets has yielded exactly nothing :-(. I can go back to rotations of blaster + hammer + heat + wrench if there's nothing better out there, but that's not my first choice.....

joshs1ofakindxj

I had the same problem.

I ended up welding a piece of small square tube about 8" long to the plug and twisting on that to get the stuck buggers out. They were really stuck!

Jake0147

Digging up an old thread: I have read through all the coolant filter threads I can find, and I cannot find any tricks for getting the pipe plug's out of the manifold and water pump housings. Mine are stuck, like Stuck, or maybe STUCK is more accurate.

Run the engine up to temperature. Good and hot, drive the truck. Go crack the fittings while the engine is good and hot. Quarter turn maybe, just till you see the first drop of coolant, even dampness without a drop, and stop right there. Do not even think about taking them out at that point. (Pressurized fluid, crazy hot, bad news... really, stop at the first drop when the threads still have full engagement... Just "cracked" is all you need.

Come back once it's fully cooled and the radiator cap can be safely removed and the coolant safely drained, then finish removing the plugs.

FL_Frank

Mine are stuck, like Stuck, or maybe STUCK is more accurate.
Maybe I was a bit aggressive and lucky, but I used an 8 point impact socket (square head on plug) and an impact gun. Came right out without an issue. Well worth the $10 for the socket...that I'll likely never use again (but have loaned out a few times).

That said, I like Jake's method as well, but didn't know about that one =)

-Frank

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks