• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cylinder Liner broken pieces in oil pan

martinv

The cylinder liner at the front of the engine broke up and also took out the piston oil jet tube thing.
Has anyone here done this repair and how did it go?

Part 1: The noise it makes (I believe this is after most or all of the liner broke up):

See the entire series here:

UPDATE 7-16-2021: It is running again and has survived a few trips.

Attachments

Last edited:

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very sorry to hear that... From what I remember, seems most agree that it's better to just replace the engine, as little bits may have been pumped through the oil and can find their way into other components, as well as the unknown mechanical stresses that other components may have been exposed to during the failure.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've rebuilt a multifuel. I am not claiming to be an authority on the matter.
You can get a piston and liner and do it in frame, pulling head and oil pan.
Before buying any parts I'd open the engine up and see what's what. There is a risk of metal having gone elsewhere and clearly you'd take a good look at the mains with the pan off and any other carnage you can find. I'd probably check the turbo and blow the oil lines out with shop air.
The oil pickup has a screen and the oil filters do their part...may be worth rolling the dice if everything else looks ok.

At the bare minimum, piston and liner can be had for $150 a hole. Oil squirter maybe $50, dunno. Headgasket is about $90, other gaskets and assorted stuff..maybe another $200. That's assuming nothing else needs fixing and you don't decide to do more just because you have it open

How much can you get a good running takeout engine for? What's your time worth? How lucky do you feel?

P.S check the classifieds for a long block that was running, for less than a piston and liner cost...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first step is to disassemble as far as necessary to find out what all is damaged. Then depending on the damage, decide how involved you want to get with repairs.
I had a damaged piston and liner in mine. I just replaced them with a used take-out piston and liner from a member here. That was maybe 1,000 miles ago, and so far so good.

martinv

Thanks for the replies and good info. Disassembly is in progress. My plan is to do some inspection and figure out if any more damage exists. So far i'm leaning toward repairing it. I ran a tiny camera into the injector port and could see some chunks on top of the piston also as expected. I will pull the head off and inspect closer. Short video clip compilation here:

Last edited:

martinv

Good video! What was the noise like? Like a tug boat? chug chug chug?
Fairly consistent, but louder than normal, followed by inconsistent banging, clanging. The noise seems to agree with the liner issue for 1 piston. My guess is the liner was damaged partially at first but still mostly in place. After idling a couple minutes it slid down and broke up completely causing the sudden change in sound to a more inconsistent metal clanging sound as it broke up. After this sequence happened twice, I restarted the vehicle so I could move it to my driveway for repair and it seemed odd at the time that the sound was no longer the loud clanging although it was louder than a normal engine sound (shown in the video).

If I recall correctly the sequence was:
1. Startup, seemed OK,
2. After about 1-2 minutes, sudden clanging, banging started.
3. Quickly shut off vehicle.
4. Think for a few minutes. Contemplating if repairing the vehicle will be as enjoyable as driving it for the summer.
5. Start vehicle to see if noise is still present and noise at first was surprisingly closer to normal.
6. Louder noise came back.
7. Shut off vehicle.
8. Decide to risk driving the vehicle onto my driveway for inspection repair.
9. While driving the noise didn't seem as horrible. This may be because the entire liner had already completed its journey to the oil pan.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several of us here on SS have piston assemblies (piston, liner and oiler) because we got them back in the early 20-teens when a lot of that stuff got surplussed. Finding where they have been squirreled away will be the problem.

martinv

Meaning the piston.
Yes, it is a great piece of art. One of a kind.

UPDATE 4-10-2021: I got a NOS cylinder liner kit that included a piston, piston pin, rings pre-installed, and even the piston cooling nozzle oil jet assembly.
liner and oiler_NOS.jpg
Piston has what looks and feels like some sort of black coating:
20210408_195830.jpg

Wanted: Cylinder head wrench.
This will allow torquing the head bolts that sit under the fuel injectors. . I think it is 7/8" for the head bolt side with a 3/8" or 1/2" drive so a torque wrench can be applied to the top. Another option is to weld some wrenches/parts together to make one.
cylinder head wrench.jpg

Last edited:

martinv

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks