• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

D.O.T Weight scales.

CMPPhil

Hi

As I think you suspected the answer is "maybe " it depends what state. I've been waved through and I've had them send the police cruiser when I drove by without stopping. This was driving a tan 3 ton radio truck. The officer who stopped me was very nice and interested in the truck he said that technically as my truck is registered as an antique it didn't need to stop at the weight station. But probably best to stop if they have the all truck sign up. Safer for all to not have them pull you over on side interstate.

Now having said that, they are just as likely to wave you through thinking your military, l've had the toll takers on the same highway wave me through the toll booth and my truck has plates and the steering wheel is on the right side.

I'd give your state DOT a call and ask them. Let us know what they say.

Cheers Phil

Ovrkilloffroad

Hi

As I think you suspected the answer is "maybe " it depends what state. I've been waved through and I've had them send the police cruiser when I drove by without stopping. This was driving a tan 3 ton radio truck. The officer who stopped me was very nice and interested in the truck he said that technically as my truck is registered as an antique it didn't need to stop at the weight station. But probably best to stop if they have the all truck sign up. Safer for all to not have them pull you over on side interstate.

Now having said that, they are just as likely to wave you through thinking your military, l've had the toll takers on the same highway wave me through the toll booth and my truck has plates and the steering wheel is on the right side.

I'd give your state DOT a call and ask them. Let us know what they say.

Cheers Phil
Thanks CMPPhil
I live in Mississippi. But I need to pick up a truck in Texas and drive it back home. I will check with the DMV and post back.

Ovrkilloffroad

Thanks CMPPhil
I live in Mississippi. But I need to pick up a truck in Texas and drive it back home. I will check with the DMV and post back.
I just spoke with one of the captains at MDOT in Mississippi. She stated that we don’t have to stop at weigh stations and as long as the vehicle is not creating revenue, then a CDL is not required.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In ND and SD I never stop and nobody has ever said anything or sent anybody to retrieve me!
Pickup truck with a welder in tow. They came out of the weigh station and stopped me. South Dakota. Told me anything over 8k or anything towing anything other than an RV has to stop. Not really relevant to OP's question.

TX has no interest in military vehicles. I've never stopped at a weigh station there and I've driven through a lot. 5tons stuck together with towbars, and 5tons pulling a semi trailer. No issues.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Pickup truck with a welder in tow. They came out of the weigh station and stopped me. South Dakota. Told me anything over 8k or anything towing anything other than an RV has to stop. Not really relevant to OP's question.

TX has no interest in military vehicles. I've never stopped at a weigh station there and I've driven through a lot. 5tons stuck together with towbars, and 5tons pulling a semi trailer. No issues.
I meannnn a Military Vehicle is a Recreational-Vehicle for most hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fasttruck

Non commercial plates, non revenue ( not for hire) status should protect you but as noted the interpretation of what constitutes commercial use varies not only from state to state but to the interpretation of the relevant statute by the particular DOT officer working that day.

Ovrkilloffroad

When are you planning the trip? Post your trip in the road trip section so folks can be aware of the route you are on in case you have issues.

I'll be somewhere along I20 between Dallas and Jackson quite a bit over the next 10 days if you have issues.
Thanks. I’ll post it now. I have to admit I was a little concerned about possibly problems. The guys on this forum seem pretty cool and willing to help any way they can. My kind of people.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks