• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Daf

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me open the new sub-forum with a line on this Dutch truck builder with some amazing achievements through the 20th century including some world-class trucks, the first and only factory car that drives as quick backwards as it drives forward. Last but definitely not least: an impressive record on military trucks.

Below a first video on these army vehicles, this will be the third post where this video appears, but this is where it should be also for later reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL0BHMqnnIk&feature=player_detailpage

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me open the new sub-forum with a line on this Dutch truck builder with some amazing achievements through the 20th century including some world-class trucks, the first and only factory car that drives as quick backwards as it drives forward. Last but definitely not least: an impressive record on military trucks.

Below a first video on these army vehicles, this will be the third post where this video appears, but this is where it should be also for later reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL0BHMqnnIk&feature=player_detailpage
This pic taken at a nearby MV event.

DAF.jpg

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
11Echo, where is the location CT W.R.

Nice DAF Y126. Where was the picture taken? Not really important, but do you have any more details on that car?

What interests me is that this car has a Dutch military license plate of a newer type (yellow color). The plates started with KL or LM and several others are restricted for the Ministry of Defense, and not legal for any civilian to even own or show on private terrain. ANY plate starting with KL means assigned to the Koninklijke Landmacht, or Royal Netherlands Army. The license plate series I could find cover most if not all of the original Y126s and they did not go further than KL-90-xx.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice DAF Y126. Where was the picture taken? Not really important, but do you have any more details on that car?

What interests me is that this car has a Dutch military license plate of a newer type (yellow color). The plates started with KL or LM and several others are restricted for the Ministry of Defense, and not legal for any civilian to even own or show on private terrain. ANY plate starting with KL means assigned to the Koninklijke Landmacht, or Royal Netherlands Army. The license plate series I could find cover most if not all of the original Y126s and they did not go further than KL-90-xx.
The DAF pictured was at the Marlboro Volunteers Show in Alliance, Ohio. http://www.marlborovolunteersinc.com/events.html

As I recall it was for sale.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found another pic of that truck, with a little bit better view of what is in the back.

DAF003.jpg

That 50 cal gun probably is a plastic replica.

More about DAF and DAF miltary trucks you can also find on the website of the DAF Club of America. Most of that forum is dedicated to the civil little cars, but this link goes directly to their truck section (rather small but with some nice goodies).

These small DAFS had the famous variomatic gearbox allowing them to drive as quick backwards as forwards. For the rest, it was always classified as a grandma car. Off course, in the 80s, before they became a big collectors item, old Dafs were used for backward racing. Have a look at the video, all these guys and galls are driving backwards full speed (around 80 km or 50 mph) using their mirrors or being half turned behind the steering wheel looking over their shoulders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO-insDVzDE

AfricaPete

I've had great success with running the late 70's and early 80's military DAFs in Africa. I've got four YA4440, one YA5442, and one YAV2300 all straight from the yards in Holland and I love them all. You can see a full list of DAF military trucks at this site: https://sites.google.com/site/dafmilitairevoertuigen/
I've got a lot of good information regarding features and maintenance of these trucks so if anyone is interested just send me a message.

speaking of all looking the same, here's a lineup of YA4440 trucks: IMG_0774.jpg

ErikvanGarderen

This is a picture of my YA-126 from 1956.
This compact 1-ton truck has independent suspension all around (which manufacturer does have that for their 1-ton truck range nowadays?), one set of differential gears, H-drive towards the wheels (OK, and the disadvantage to have to lubricate eight gearboxes in total three times a year...). Free space between soil and truck is 1'4".
The engine is a Hercules JXC and the top speed is close to 60 miles an hour. Without special equipment it can ford close to three feet of water.
The spare wheels do protect the drive train and are designed to turn when they hit soil.
IMGP9871.jpg

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to van Dam Onderdelen early February, for parts of my M51A2. Saw some of my childhood memories and dream wishes there last time I was there.

DSC_0004c_resize.JPG

The DAF YA 126 Ambulance. My dream car. Only problem: originally uses the 6 cylinder Hercules gasser, using more than the average 5-ton truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks