• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Daily Driver Project

oldMan99

NOTE: Due to being a really cool looking project that simply will not work in the real world (As demonstrated by the answers already given) This project is canceled. You can post a reply if you like but we are done here.... Thanks to those that already responded..... OK it seems that maybe I was premature on the withdrawal from this project. I got a couple private messages and a couple posts that have demonstrated that I should not abandon this just yet. So, with a new and even more exuberant interest..... Bring it!

Current vehicle: F-350, crew cab, 8’ bed, diesel (172” wheelbase) Will be replaced with the following proposed project:

Get a duce, preferably one with drop side bed.

Remove bed.

Build a mount for a spare tire on the back of the cab

Build a custom tool box to mount beside the tire behind the cab, doors facing out for access standing on the ground.

Build a custom “Brush guard” to mount a 15,000lb electric winch (Much smaller than “factory” so way less extension of bumper required.)

Remove 1 rear axle. 4 link the remaining rear end, use air for suspension to allow both a nice soft ride and airing up to haul stuff.

Have front springs re-worked to compliment the air on the rear for a good ride.

Cut bed to 8.25 feet long. Build a “Headache rack” in the front of the bed, reinstall (Headache rack optional…. might look stupid??)

Cut frame to appropriate length for spare tire and bed as noted above.

Convert to super single 52”

Mount a 15,000lb winch on the back of the truck along with both the pintel and 2” receiver.

Remove engine and trans. Replace with Cummins 5.9, auto trans and run muffler exhaust out the back.

Convert lighting to 12 volt. (Anything else left that needs 24v now?)

Install power steering

Install 2 air ride seats in cab.

Install a metal locking center console from Tuffy that is designed to go into open top Jeeps. Radio goes in the console, I think they make one that will hold the CB too.

Install heat, A/C, a basic AM/FM radio, CB radio and a couple 12v “Lighter plug” outlets, and cruise control.

Insulate cab to the max for both sound and noise. Black rubber mat for cab floor.

Install some under-bed tool boxes space permitting.

Install a basic hoist/crane to the front right corner of the bed (Something like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-with-cable-winch-37555.html )

Paint OD Green - Everything except the wheels (black) tires, lights and windows and running gear/frame. Running gear/frame gets painted flat black.

Use completed vehicle as daily driver.

QUESTIONS: Being pretty new at the whole “MV Thing” I need to know from those of you that know better what parts of this plan have flaws. Tell me what won’t work and why and recommend possible fixes/solutions. Also tell me what else you would do to make the plan work better.

Think about the following issues:

Reliability.

Things that can be done to reduce frequency and cost of maintenance.

Comfort.

How to make this thing cruse comfortable at 75mph all day long.

My current DD is large so I am not afraid of this being a large vehicle in traffic or parking. The above changes should provide for a ride that is comfortable enough to live with w/o much problem.

I would like to find a way to prevent theft or other unauthorized use other than a chain on the steering wheel. I thought about a hidden fuel cutoff switch or key lock but that seems pretty easy to bypass for somebody that has a few minutes and the balls to get into the truck. Any ideas? Maybe an industrial sized parking boot?? Lol…. (But that is just as lame as a chain on the steering wheel.) Do any of the cabs actually lock like a civilian vehicle?

So, what do you think, what is your advise? Open to anything constructive.

Last edited:

dragonwagon

Why ? Do you really like the look of the cab , front clip !

for all the things you want to do id think finding a civlian 2 ton 4x4 like a 4900 international from an electric company would make a much more suitable platform for all you mentioned .

DT 466 , auto trans , ps pb ac lockable , 12v system . It just sounds like you want to alter so much it may not be the best starting point unless there is something about the MV you really want .

Avn-Tech

Sir,

The biggest problem I see, is turning and parking.
Since you have an F350, you have a small idea of the problem.
But with the deuce multiply by two.

I will be driving my Chevy 3500 to Los Angeles later today, and will most likly have problems around town with it. Now if you live in a small town, you can probably get by with using the deuce as a daily driver.

Shannon Deese has a daily driver bobbed Deuce. I know he had very few problems around California City (small town, little traffic). When he transferred to Miramar, he took his Deuce with him. Hopefully he will see this post and reply (he may not as he is prepairing to deploy soon).

Laterrrrrr
Avn-Tech

gunboy1656

Well if you wanna save money, just buy yourself an International SXT, and add the deuce components. These trucks are not designed to travel (or stop) at 75 MPH.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....Think about the following issues:

Reliability.

Things that can be done to reduce frequency and cost of maintenance.

Comfort.

How to make this thing cruse comfortable at 75mph all day long.
You are a funny guy.........

These trucks are 40+ years old. You will always be doing maintenance. Just a fact of life.

Also these trucks where not designed to go over 50mph. The axle gearing won't allow it unless the engine is spinning at say 10,000rpm. I guess you could re-ring the axles.

Stated already, start with an International from a utility company. Alot easier and cheaper in the long run.

I have a stock M35A3 that is my daily driver. I live in a.small town, and there are issues to consider. You always have to be looking ahead to plan turns. It is tough to see those little cars when turning or changing lanes. Parking can be a real mess. You don#t just jump in them and go. Or, just turn it off without proper cooldown. Not a practical daily driver, but I have grown to like the.right lane, and I have a lot of fun with it. Ocassionally, I drive in the big city and that is not fun.

If you have.the money, go for it. Just understand what you are getting in to.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think you'd be better off using a 5ton as the base vehicle. You'll start with higher gearing and thats key to vehicle speed. I have heard a cummins 400 will bolt in where the 250 fits. Now you'll just need an OD unit to patch in there. The 5ton components require less up keep.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:roll: 5 tons are harder to make float and fly.2cents

oldMan99

May as well add floatable and flyable to the list, it won't take much more work...
Floatable would be nice.... I don't have a pilot license so flyable would not do me much good.

OK, I think I am getting the idea now. Wonderful thing about sites like this, you guys just saved me a crapload of money!

I still want a 5 ton to build into a killer RV though. In that I'll be happy with 60-65MPH. No floating or flying in it either....

OK, we can let this thread die now. Project canceled.

Thanks guys.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't really think it would have been THAT hard to do. Seems to me you will have to put some effort into the build. I put alot of effort into my deuce and love it. Not many things are as rewarding as building your own truck.

Kalashnikov

Didn't take much to change your mind, not even a day. With 52s on there, youd be going well over 50 with the multi in it. The 5.9 spins a lot faster so 75 with the big tires wouldn't even be any issue, especially with OD on the auto transmission. Swap to disk brakes all around and your braking problems are solved.

oldMan99

Didn't take much to change your mind, not even a day.
It would seem that is the case but not really. Until now every response was that it would be bad for xyz reason. I have been reading quite a bit about using a Duce as a DD, (That is where I got most of my mod ideas from, seeing what people said was a problem and trying to address each the best I could).

I was hoping to hear some responses that supported the idea that these mods would indeed help make a difference and bring the usability/feasibility of DD issue closer to "realistically dooable". Your message, and the info in it, have served to give me hope that maybe this really is dooable. So....

With 52s on there, youd be going well over 50 with the multi in it. The 5.9 spins a lot faster so 75 with the big tires wouldn't even be any issue, especially with OD on the auto transmission. Swap to disk brakes all around and your braking problems are solved.
I would very much be willing to swap to disc brakes. I had a '76 CJ7 with 4 wheel drum brakes. Get them the least bit wet and wind resistance on the windshield was better at stopping the thing than the brakes. They never stayed properly adjusted so it when they did work it would always pull to one side or the other. Really took a lot of the fun out of driving it. I changed to 4 wheel disc and it was like a whole new vehicle. Of course the CJ7 is a 1/4 ton vehicle. I can only imagine the improvement in something "Slightly" heavier like this will en up being!

Is there a kit for this or is it something that must be completely home-brewed? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!!

oldMan99

I don't really think it would have been THAT hard to do.
LOL.. That is what I was initially thinking!

Seems to me you will have to put some effort into the build. I put alot of effort into my deuce and love it. Not many things are as rewarding as building your own truck.
Well I can't do all of the mods myself, some will have to be farmed out but even still, doing it all or doing what you can and overseeing the rest is still pretty rewarding, at least it has been on all the civilian vehicles I have modded. This will be my first attempt at a MV though so this is why I am being pretty cautious and seeking as much advance info as I can get before I begin investing a bunch of cash into the project!

Thanks for the response!

oldMan99

Sir,

The biggest problem I see, is turning and parking.
Since you have an F350, you have a small idea of the problem.
But with the deuce multiply by two.
Avn-Tech
With a "stock" Duce I would expect that. but shortened and with power steering would it really be all that much worse than the a F350 with the longest wheelbase Ford makes in a F350? (Crew cab, 8' bed = 172" WB) (That 172 # is from memory, I'm pretty sure it is correct, not 100%)

Comments???

Also, not entirely off the parking/turning subject; My F350 has a topper which makes the back window useless (As it will be on this project) and front and rear winch bumpers that extend the body length on each end. (23' total, front bumper to never removed receiver hitch) Combine that with 15+ years of driving Ambulances and Fire trucks and I have a fair amount of experience in large bulky ill handling vehicles, driving/backing/parking and properly using the mirrors and so forth.

Many of my proposed mods for this project are aimed at eliminating or minimizing as many of the "bad" aspects of using a Bobbed Duce as a DD and still leave the vehicle looking like a "Big Bad MV" Some are strictly for comfort, but most are designed to address the various problems I have read about here on SS as relates to DD use of a Duce/Bobbed Duce.

oldMan99

Why ? Do you really like the look of the cab , front clip !
In short answer: YES. A longer answer is that I have never been a "Conformist" I usually end up being "Different" than the "Normal people". I like the idea of driving a part of American history. I like the idea that just maybe my truck helped save some soldier from a long walk after a battle or maybe it brought him the bullets he needed. I love "old ****". I wish it could talk and tell me it's life story. And, I just think it would be cool to have/drive/play with.

for all the things you want to do id think finding a civilian 2 ton 4x4 like a 4900 international from an electric company would make a much more suitable platform for all you mentioned .
For my camper project I may well do just that. For this project I would take a complete pass and just keep the F350 before I "went civilian". For this project the MV is the whole point. Even if it will be a "slightly modified" MV. It will still look like something the military actually used.

DT 466 , auto trans , ps pb ac lockable , 12v system . It just sounds like you want to alter so much it may not be the best starting point unless there is something about the MV you really want .
There is! :-D

oldMan99

I have a stock M35A3 that is my daily driver. I live in a.small town, and there are issues to consider. You always have to be looking ahead to plan turns. It is tough to see those little cars when turning or changing lanes. Parking can be a real mess.
As noted, I'm pretty used to all that already, fire trucks hauling 1,500 gallons of water, rescue tools, ladders and enough wood cribbing to build a small house don;t exactly stop/turn on a dime...lol.. Ambulances loaded 2,000# over max listed weight are no better. As for the little cars... Isn't that what bumpers and large tires are for??

You don#t just jump in them and go. Or, just turn it off without proper cooldown. Not a practical daily driver, but I have grown to like the.right lane, and I have a lot of fun with it.
That is one reason for changing to a more conventional, more modern power plant like the 5.9. The right lane does not bother me and the older I get the more I find myself in it. However, it is really nice to be able to mash the right foot when needed/wanted and actually get a result other than just more noise from the engine compartment.

Ocassionally, I drive in the big city and that is not fun.
Understood. Not on the top of my list of fun but I just take an extra blood pressure pill, a xanax or two and let the roll on...

If you have.the money, go for it. Just understand what you are getting in to.
Exactly why I'm making this post, to get a better understanding!!

Thanks for the post!

oldMan99

I think you'd be better off using a 5ton as the base vehicle. You'll start with higher gearing and thats key to vehicle speed. I have heard a cummins 400 will bolt in where the 250 fits. Now you'll just need an OD unit to patch in there. The 5ton components require less up keep.
Now that there is some good information! In regards to using a 5 ton;

What is the gearing?

Will it be harder to convert 5t axles to disc brake than 2.5t?

What vehicles would have used the cummins 400? How would the 400 compare to the 5.9?

Any down side to using a 5t for this project? I know the unsprung weight will be more because of the heavier axles (Anybody know the weight difference?) Is there anything else to consider?

If I were to use a 400, any suggestions as to what OD to use?

Less upkeep is a good thing and leans directly toward the goal I am aiming for. Heavy duty, better gearing AND less upkeep?? Sounds like a no brainer to me. And in the real world, there is always a price to pay when things seem to good to be true. What is the price here? What is the downside?

:roll: 5 tons are harder to make float and fly.2cents
Well I guess there is that.... LOL.

What else???

oldMan99

Let me guess... You got this idea from watching Ian on Extreme 4x4 ? The deuce bobbed shows.
Don't watch much TV. Mostly movies. I do remember seeing Extreme 4x4 once on a weekend but they had Moab rock crawlers, no MV stuff. I got the idea by reading here and seeing the build pics. That and I have always wanted a MV and tanks get really bad MPG on the highway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks