• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Daily Driver Project

oldMan99

Axle gearing

Somebody mentioned changing the axle gearing. I thought there was only 1 ratio available, the standard 6:something.

What else is available, where can I get more info on it and any idea how much?

I'll also probably be wanting lockers. Any idea what those go for/where to get them? (Might as well do it all at once while we are in there..)

colelkhunter

ouverson engineering makes anything you would ever want. they are the makers of the aftermarket gear sets for the rockwell axles. They are only produced in 4.90 I believe. They also have lockers,axles,lockout hubs. All kinds of stuff

Kalashnikov

ouverson engineering makes anything you would ever want. they are the makers of the aftermarket gear sets for the rockwell axles. They are only produced in 4.90 I believe. They also have lockers,axles,lockout hubs. All kinds of stuff
And the disk brake kits.

Really, to be a suitable DD, there are only a few key things:

Turning: Add PS, youre use to it anyways though
Size: ------------------/\
Warm up: 5.9 swap
Speed/Driveablility: /\, adding OD, more RPMs, bigger tires
No heat: Add a multifuel heater
Sound: muffled 5.9
Braking: Convert to disks
Comfort: New seats, radio, electric wiper

Someone on here just did is 5.9 swap in his bobber. I don't recall his u-name. It seems like the only thing you want to do differently is DD it. I alternate my deuce and F150 for DD duty. My F150 gets more of the time due to me working the kinks out of the deuce.

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, the original topic. I parked my deuce alongside an F350 quad cab dually....looks like the front and rear axles just about line up......put the ford body onto the deuce frame and call it good? I dunno......

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I am not as familiar with the 5t as the deuce, but as a base platform you have many up-grades. More power from the start(465cuin vs 855cuin), power steering, higher R&P(numerically lower), and better designed axle seals. Some quick searches in the 5t specific forum will tell you what the axle R&P is, along with other stuff you might ask. We also have one member that learned a certain 900 series T-case has it's own OD gears and another is working on putting one in an 800 series truck. Your idea is do-able, it will just take some reading. I have told others here on the site, build the truck you want, not the truck your buddy's want you to have. On the flip side, don't let someone tell you it can't be done with out honestly looking into it.

XanRa

I think you'd be better off using a 5ton as the base vehicle. You'll start with higher gearing and thats key to vehicle speed. I have heard a cummins 400 will bolt in where the 250 fits. Now you'll just need an OD unit to patch in there. The 5ton components require less up keep.
hey gimpy, is that true? ive never heard that and i like the idea....:twisted:

Glad to hear you have not given up. The only big change that I would make is to start with a M35A3, rather than the A2. It is much more reliable and has much better manners in city driving I would go with no larger a tire than 46 inch. Get the same over drive that Eric has. For more power, if necessary with the bigger.tires, I'd go with.propane injection. Good luck.

P.S. With a deuce a CDL is not not required. With a 5 ton it usually is.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My 2cents:

It can be done, but it's not practical. It will be expensive. And the appeal will quickly fade.

I've had a Suburban on 44" tires, LWB trucks as well on 44" tires, a number of 4x4's with 40" to 35" tires. I've had powerhouses and I've had anemic wheezers of engines. I've had power steering and manual steering. I've had drum brakes and I've had disc brakes. It stands to reason I'd have what you seek right? Nope.

I've got a 2010 Jeep Wrangler 4-dr 4x4 with 28" tall tires. A 87 Samurai that is a hodge podge of stuff. And a 69 M35A2 that will eventually get 395's installed on it. Is any one of them better? No, not completely. But they all have their place.

A Deuce has a wonderful place as a secondary toy vehicle in my fleet.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lower your speed expectations a bit and take your time and enjoy the project. You never get out what you put in anyways. For many of the creature comforts,search out "Diablo Build" thread. It will give you some options on comforts. The problem with the deuce (6.72) and 5 tonners (6.44) is the double reduction setup. they are not friendly to the higher RPMs to push the truck 75 all day dependably. Pinion bearings will wear quickly and they tend to spit gear oil at speed. Other than that, build it! It's only time and money!

oldMan99

One Google search later: http://store.oemaxle.com/ Thanks!! Spent a few minutes there, will be back for more homework later tonight! 4.90 is correct. As you noted, they have everything there for the 2.5t, but I could not find anything for the 5t.

Does anybody make these parts for the 5 ton axles?

(I did see they have something called “Girls Violator [2202-X]” I’m not sure that is even legal… But, it might be fun… (No, I didn’t really say that…. Did I?... LOL)

Oh, the original topic. I parked my deuce alongside an F350 quad cab dually....looks like the front and rear axles just about line up......put the ford body onto the deuce frame and call it good? I dunno......
3 comments;
1, thanks for that pic, it really shows the difference in size.
2, reminds me of the Crocodile Dundee statement, “You call that a knife? This is a knife.” Replace “Knife” with “Truck”…lol….
3, The ford body idea… Naw. If I was going to do that I would just keep all the Ford stuff and jack it up. The whole point is that I want it to be and look like a MV. Yes, a highly modified one but to 99.9% of the population once it is done, they would bet money that it was an “Official” version of some”Official” U.S. MV

Originally Posted by mad scientist
Make a 5-ton float? Thats gonna take alot of ice cream dude..............;<)i about died when i read that lol
1-800-Baskin-Robbin… Who has a Duce for the pick up?? J

I am not as familiar with the 5t as the deuce, but as a base platform you have many up-grades. More power from the start(465cuin vs 855cuin), power steering, higher R&P(numerically lower), and better designed axle seals. Some quick searches in the 5t specific forum will tell you what the axle R&P is, along with other stuff you might ask.
Great info! Thank you!

We also have one member that learned a certain 900 series T-case has it's own OD gears and another is working on putting one in an 800 series truck.
Anybody have more info on that?? This could be really useful for this project.

Your idea is do-able, it will just take some reading. I have told others here on the site, build the truck you want, not the truck your buddy's want you to have. On the flip side, don't let someone tell you it can't be done with out honestly looking into it.
Exactly! That is why I’m trying to do my homework to learn what is reasonably feasible, what is now and then be able to start making my decision as to what it is I “Really” want to end up with, other than a huge pile of (relatively expensive) parts in my driveway… Oh, and yeah, I have a couple VERY opinionated friends that have very strong ideas about trucks. I ignore their idea of what “MY” truck should be/do/look like all the time so I am used that that already…lol… (They do know quite a lot about trucks but we definitely have some different ideas of end product!

Glad to hear you have not given up.
Thanks, ME TOO!

The only big change that I would make is to start with a M35A3, rather than the A2. It is much more reliable and has much better manners in city driving

More good info! If I use a 2.5t rather than a 5t I’ll definitely keep that in mind!

I would go with no larger a tire than 46 inch.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. I really like the look of the 52” and I could certainly use the gearing it would provide but that would be a **** pain in the butt to climb up into all the time. I may well look at something in the 46” range for feasibility. On the other hand, I may just install a set of automatic RV steps under the stock step…. Any other reason than pain to get into not to run the larger meats?

Get the same over drive that Eric has. For more power, if necessary with the bigger.tires, I'd go with.propane injection. Good luck.
OK, Eric who? What OD does he have/how do I contact him? Remember I’m probably going to be changing the engine to the 5.9 Cummins.

P.S. With a deuce a CDL is not not required. With a 5 ton it usually is.
Good to know. I “THINK” here in FL when I tag it if I stay under 26k # no CDL will be required and then that of course would carry to the rest of the states I would be driving in.

Lower your speed expectations a bit and take your time and enjoy the project.
I may have to lower the speed but I want to try to design from the beginning for the speed I want/need. From the sounds of it by changing the 5.9, 52” tires and an OD unit I should be rolling along at 75 or so. I would be plenty happy with that.

You never get out what you put in anyways.

I don't know, I think if you do it right and with pride, the feeling of accomplishment is worth quite a bit. On the other hand, if your talking about financially, yeah, 100% you never get close to your money’s worth in a project like this if you sell it.

For many of the creature comforts,search out "Diablo Build" thread. It will give you some options on comforts.
Started reading it, will finish it up in the next day or so.

The problem with the deuce (6.72) and 5 tonners (6.44) is the double reduction setup. they are not friendly to the higher RPMs to push the truck 75 all day dependably. Pinion bearings will wear quickly and they tend to spit gear oil at speed.
Well that is not good news. Is there anything that can be done to help with this?

Other than that, build it! It's only time and money!
Oh, that’s all it is? Seems like I’m always looking for more of both as it is…. LOL

Last edited:

Darwin T

i have both a m35a2 and a M109a3 that i have driven for days at a time, and sometimes weeks. it is not that big of a deal. stay in the right lane when ever you can and remember 1 1/2 parking places (all of the back one and half of the one ahead of you). i can see a bob job. if you get a non-turbo deuce then the warm-up and cool-down are not a problem (and unless you treek the fuel with a pyro gauge installed the speed is not 2 or 3 MPH different with the same tires). why would you change to 12 volt (waste of money). like the idea of 2 winches and the air ride. with it jacked up and shorter i think 75 MPH is a bad idea, sharp turn, fall over, boom. with the biger tires and the 5 speed stick 60+ should get you there in time. floatable does sound nice (not reasonable, but nice). dueces are to slow to fly without a blimp attached that can fold up in the bed when not in use. so add the submarine attachment instead!

a deuce as a dialy is not a bad idea. the fuel cutoff and lockable electric switch to kill the battery power to the starter should work for security.

Darwin T

"Good to know. I “THINK” here in FL when I tag it if I stay under 26k # no CDL will be required and then that of course would carry to the rest of the states I would be driving in."

that is 26k gross. my M109a3 is 15,940 plus 10k carry total 25,940. my M35a2 is 13,400 plus 10k carry 23,400. a 5 ton is larger and can carry more, over 26k. in TEXAS it is 26,500.

oldMan99

i have both a m35a2 and a M109a3 that i have driven for days at a time, and sometimes weeks. it is not that big of a deal. stay in the right lane when ever you can and remember 1 1/2 parking places (all of the back one and half of the one ahead of you). i can see a bob job.
I 1 1/2 park like that when I go shopping so so I can load into the back and not be standing in the traffic lane.

if you get a non-turbo deuce then the warm-up and cool-down are not a problem (and unless you treek the fuel with a pyro gauge installed the speed is not 2 or 3 MPH different with the same tires).
Not going to have to mess with the turbo because it will be a cummins 5.9 and that turbo is not as "needy" in the attention department.

why would you change to 12 volt (waste of money).
Once the OEM motor is gone and the Cummins installed I think the only thing left 24V is the light bulbs. I might go with electric wipers and of course the MV heater and A/c would be 24v so I might end up running both I guess.

like the idea of 2 winches and the air ride. with it jacked up and shorter i think 75 MPH is a bad idea, sharp turn, fall over, boom. with the biger tires and the 5 speed stick 60+ should get you there in time.
On the interstate I currently run 69mph anyway so I guess 60 would be ok.. most of the time. I did the roll over thing once already, once was enough, I do not feel the need to repeat that evolution.

floatable does sound nice (not reasonable, but nice). dueces are to slow to fly without a blimp attached that can fold up in the bed when not in use. so add the submarine attachment instead!
Well I do live in Florida so that might come in handy.

a deuce as a dialy is not a bad idea. the fuel cutoff and lockable electric switch to kill the battery power to the starter should work for security.
Thanks for the post!!

oldMan99

"Good to know. I “THINK” here in FL when I tag it if I stay under 26k # no CDL will be required and then that of course would carry to the rest of the states I would be driving in."

that is 26k gross. my M109a3 is 15,940 plus 10k carry total 25,940. my M35a2 is 13,400 plus 10k carry 23,400. a 5 ton is larger and can carry more, over 26k. in TEXAS it is 26,500.
In FL they go by what you registered it as. I mean when you go to register it they ask you, how much weight do you want on the tag? Of course that weight includes the vehicle, everyting on, in OR ATTACHED TO it. (Like a trailer). I have mine at 15k, but I do occasionally tow heavy and it goes over. I have a friend that hauls racing mud trucks and assorted other heavy loads. He tagged his 1 ton for 25k. You pay by the pound.

I believe the way it works here is once you tag over 26k, CDL required. I could be wrong on that so please do not flame me if I am....

oldMan99

Outstanding!! I copied all the link addresses and will be doing some surfing ASAP! Differential Engine is only about 20 minutes from my house and I have hear his name somewhere before, maybe out at the local mud racing "track", never knew he did this stuff.

THANKS!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks