• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dana 60

DerangedMadman

So if it is a bent axle tube I am going to need a new axle anyways, right?

It does not do it when I am in 4 wheel drive but that was only in really icy conditions last year.

Iceman3005

you could replace the only part you haven't yet...........the spindles, I have seen them for 150-200 for the pair, but if the tube is bent then you just wasted another 200 dollars. Just a thought.

Autocar

The axle shafts have centerdrill holes in each end. If you have a friend with a lathe, set each axle up between centers, rotate the axle and measure the run out with a dial indicator. Will tell you very quickly if your axle shafts are bent. It is extremely unlikely that the shafts are bent because they transmit torque only and do not support any wheel load. The spindles support the load. Even if the axle shafts were bent somehow, I doubt they would cause any wobble.

DerangedMadman

I guess I could have been more clear Cucvnut, I still have not changed my mind, I will not sink another dime into this axle. If anyone has one for sell I would appreciate it.

buzzinhalfdozzen

If it is the caster you're prob gonna have the same problem with the new axle. Try the shims. Or measure your current caster with a protractor on top of the knuckle.

Skinny

I would first spend money to have someone put it on a modern alignment rack to see what each tire looks like. If you have zero toe instead of slight toe in, this aggravates the problem. Plus you will see if you have any setback, caster, or camber issues.

If all numbers are in the green or at least equal on both sides, I would investigate into your steering. What condition is the box in? If reman, was a good quality unit or a cheapo Autozone one?

I would also look into doing a highsteer just because push/pull is more susceptible to death wobble. Unless you are going to pull your axle out, gut it, and have a shop or you check it for a straight housing, replacing your D60 with another is not going to solve any problems other than making your wallet lighter.