• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dangerous Situation Today With My M1009

rnd-motorsports

I would think that puller will work ! If you were closer I lend you mine or even come over and help the wife says Texas sounds good about now getting freezing rain and snow out side now will be nasty in the morning! as its 32.5 on the thermostat out now have a spare room for a few days? :beer:

flighht2k5

Banned
Yep. Which I laugh at people who knock those axles... if you've seen what I've done with my 1009 and STOCK 10-bolts... you'd freak :D
My point is they're not any better or tougher or beefier than the civilian counterpart. They are am average axle in terms of strength.

Ghost2012

My point is they're not any better or tougher or beefier than the civilian counterpart. They are am average axle in terms of strength.
I must have gotten a pretty HD version then, because I've broken a Ford 9", Seen a Dana 44 snap in two places on a trail I did fine on, gotten the truck to 110 mph in 2wd and 70 in 4x4, towed 1200 pounds of axles alone with everything I own in the cab while going off road...

I'm honestly impressed with mine. And I was refering to the trucks themselves, not necessarily just the axles. I agree with the axles themselves not being any tougher or beefier, but they're not the pissy little axles everyone makes them out to be.

niferous

Booyah! It's off. I'm going to call O'Reilly and see if they have that socket I need.

I got a Craftsman gear puller at Sears this afternoon. About 1 minute after starting to ratchet on the puller it came off. I should have bought one last weekend.

Attachments

bushhawg73

Really glad you got it off. This is a prime example of the right tool for the job makes it so much nicer and easier. I know we can not have every tool available but there are some that are a must.

If you have trouble with the spindle bearing try and find a pilot bearing bearing puller. They can be had for pretty cheap, check fleebay.

rnd-motorsports

The rest of the take apart will not be as bad, The first nut may be stubborn if the spindle threads are buggered up. But with the socket should not be a problem! The lock may need some persuasion but just pulls off. Then the retaining nut should come off and the rotor should fall off bye the looks of it ! GOOD JOB!:beer:

OL AG '89

Niferous,
I'm in Kingwood, maybe have some time this weekend if you need another pair of hands on this project. I'm finishing another project, I hope, but will see how things go. IM me if you think you need help.

niferous

OK disregard my last. I basically had to tap on the spindle socket with a hammer and then it grabbed and I was able to get the lockout nut off. So now I'm trying to get this little bugger off and it won't come off. I tried pulling it off and wrenching it off. It's keeping the bearing and everything on. What is it and how the heck do I get it off?

Attachments

WARWAG

This would be a super simple way to replace everything and is a direct simple bolt on process. After you have your truck back on the road with this exact replacement axle you could then figure out what is going on with that mess you have of a spindle. Get the complete axle. Its very cheap and is the exact same thing under your M1009 right now....except new or New Old Stock, N.O.S.. Just think of it like this. All new brakes and brake rotors, new hubs and all new bearings. Unbolt what you have and slide this new axle under and bolt up! DONE.

Last edited:

760gamemaster

OK disregard my last. I basically had to tap on the spindle socket with a hammer and then it grabbed and I was able to get the lockout nut off. So now I'm trying to get this little bugger off and it won't come off. I tried pulling it off and wrenching it off. It's keeping the bearing and everything on. What is it and how the heck do I get it off?
Tap it in with a brass punch and a hammer looks like a taperlock that tightens when the nut pulls it out

TGP (IL)

I would say that is the outer bearing cone,what's left of the outer bearing, that's "galled" to the spindle.
Cut it/split it and remove.
Tom

niferous

OK the whole thing is now OFF! :jumpin:

So now that everything is off, it's time to order some parts and put it all back on. So far the only thing I have is a new set of lockout hubs. Everything else is toast. The spindle is all beat up and the seals and everything are else are shot. The good news is that the actual axle looks great. I do plan on changing the u-joints though since I'm down to where it is. Also I'm going to pull it out and replace the seal on the differential. Ghost was telling me how to do it and I'll probably have to get some help with that.

The thing I need now is a parts list of all the stuff I need to order to put this all back together again. I know a spindle but what else? I'm going to check the -20P but if someone has a ready made list that would be great. [thumbzup]

Attachments

niferous

OK the spindle came on UPS yesterday. I'm looking through all the parts manuals and such but I'm having a hard time figuring out all the parts I'm going to need. I have a new set of Warn lockouts, the new spindle which came with a seal kit and a inner bearing already installed. I know I need an inner and outer lockout and a lockout washer right? Does anyone have part numbers for the bearing I need?

Also I pulled the axle and the tube is completely missing it's seal so I'll need one of those as well. No idea what the part number would be and I can't find it in the -20P. It had been missing it's old seal and now the inside of the tube is looking nasty. Should I clean it out and if so how?

I'd love to get this thing rolling again soon! I'm going to take apart my driver's side and hopefully I can ID some parts that way. I was just hoping someone would have a list handy. If not when I'm complete I hope to be able to post a complete parts list in the FAQ section.

BIG_RED

Sorry, but I don't know what parts you would need. I've never taken apart a front axle.

I've got a question though - Forgive my ignorance, but how often are we supposed to take these things apart, clean and grease them?

I'm generally religious about preventative maintenence. I've changed the fluids in the diffs of everything I've owned, and I replaced wheel bearings years and years ago on a trailer.. But I've never re-greased axle bearings on my trucks. I don't put them under water. Everything I've taken apart was still in good shape.

Your story has inspired me to pull all mine apart this summer and check them out. Thanks for the great thread.

Ghost2012

OK the spindle came on UPS yesterday. I'm looking through all the parts manuals and such but I'm having a hard time figuring out all the parts I'm going to need. I have a new set of Warn lockouts, the new spindle which came with a seal kit and a inner bearing already installed. I know I need an inner and outer lockout and a lockout washer right? Does anyone have part numbers for the bearing I need?

Also I pulled the axle and the tube is completely missing it's seal so I'll need one of those as well. No idea what the part number would be and I can't find it in the -20P. It had been missing it's old seal and now the inside of the tube is looking nasty. Should I clean it out and if so how?

I'd love to get this thing rolling again soon! I'm going to take apart my driver's side and hopefully I can ID some parts that way. I was just hoping someone would have a list handy. If not when I'm complete I hope to be able to post a complete parts list in the FAQ section.
Part numbers:

Bearing set (NAPA-Outer): BRG BR35
Bearing race (NAPA-Inner): BRG LM104949
Bearing cup (NAPA-Inner): BRG JLM104910

Hub nut (Oreillys-Inner): Dorman 615-120
Hub nut (Oreillys-Outer): Dorman 615-121

It'll take some time if you want the cross washer too.

Good luck dude. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks