• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dangerous Situation Today With My M1009

niferous

Ok all it looks like we are rounding third to home base. FMJ may have found what we are looking for but in case anyone wants to know the GM part number is:

Thanks for finding the autozone one. I'm going to order them now and hopefully I'll have them Saturday. Once I get that it's rock and roll and back on the road! :jumpin:

niferous

This thing just keeps getting better and better! My u-joint ears are bent on the wheel that locked up! After looking around on the internet it's looking like I'm just going to have to buy some new. or used axle stubs. This was always a possibility from the beginning and was pointed out earlier in the thread but we were more worried about the teeth on the end. I'm guessing what happened is that lockouts may have engaged because when I took it apart the locks were in the locked (4wd) position. Maybe that tourqued them?

When I went to press the ujoints out they were really tough and I had to use a shop press. As they came out they made a lot of popping and one of the u-joint cups actually broke. Before anyone asks yes I did remove the little clips before pressing them out. I tried pressing the u-joint into the side that didn't look too twisted but as you can see in the picture it is a little bent in and just won't work.

So it looks like this thing is pretty well done. Does anyone have a good set they would like to sell? At this time it looks like I only need the passenger side. I looked at the other side and other being dirty they look good.

Thoughts? If anyone has a set I would love to get them to avoid buying a new pair.

Attachments

niferous

Arghh!!! I pressed out the other side and I took it really really slow. Got the clips removed, brushed off all the rust around the outside of the cups, put some penetrating oil on there. Took it nice an slow in the press. I think it still managed to bend the ears. These things are really dang rusty. Should I have soaked them first in Kroil or something?

I put this one back together since at first I didn't notice anything wrong. It wasn't until I got the u-joints all pressed in that I noticed that only one side had enough room to get the clip on.

I know this thing was rusty so it took a lot of force to get the u-joints out. I see a lot of used ones on ebay for pretty cheap but I'm weary to buy them if changing out the u-joints is going to cause the same amount of problems. Am I doing something wrong here?

BobM

If you used the same u joints on both side, then it must be the way they are installed. Check to make sure that the cups are fully seated with the snap ring completely in the groove. Sometimes it is hard to get the caps in enough to get the snap rings to seat. If you could measure the width of this u joint to your other u joint, you should see that this one is wider.
Hope this helps. Keep us posted as enquiring minds wanta know!:eek:

niferous

They are fully seated with the snap rings seated. I will try and dig some of the old bearing cups out of the trash but if I remember correcty they were a little shorter.

Edit to add: It will be next week before I get back to it. I am out of town for training starting tomorrow. The wife wouldn't even know what I was talking about when I said "u-joint".

BobM

They are fully seated with the snap rings seated. I will try and dig some of the old bearing cups out of the trash but if I remember correcty they were a little shorter.

Edit to add: It will be next week before I get back to it. I am out of town for training starting tomorrow. The wife wouldn't even know what I was talking about when I said "u-joint".
It might be like my tractor. It has used NAP* fuel filters forever. But now the new ones from NAP* don't fit. They are being made probably in China and have an extra lip on them theold ones didn't have.:sad:
You might have a different size cap on this u joint that makes it not fit. I wouldn't start grinding unless it is the only way left.

niferous

Well what's interesting is that the other side fits just fine. It's just the drivers side that doesn't want to go in. I'm going to hit the knuckle with a dremel tool very lightly just to knock off the slight surface rust and grime and then maybe put a little grease on there and see if that helps.

niferous

I did just a tad bit of welding and was able to get the axle in no problem. I had to buy new rotors as the older ones had been turned once and were near their minimum width. I wound up having to get a new hub too!

Anyhow I'm getting everything together and just have quick question on the outer hub bearings. When you buy them they come with the bearing and a ring of some kind. I looked through the TM and also my box of old parts and I'm not seeing this little ring. I don't know if it goes in there or not?

Also I did put just the bearing in there and then tried to just snug up the spindle nut. Just wanted to see how it went together. The rotor wouldn't turn! I guess I'm doing something wrong! lol

So to be clear, I installed; the axle with dust seal, then the spindle, then the brake's dust shield, then the rotor with inner bearing and seal installed, and then the outer bearing. I also tried the bearing with the ring installed and it does fit in there. However I really don't think it's supposed to go in there.

Advice????:lost:

RIDDLE1

I know I am late to the party but I had my dads 91 K5 do the same thing to me on the way to school one morning. I t was all I could not to keep it out of the ditch.

niferous

Here it is. The bearing fits inside of it. I understand what a race is but I'm not seeing one in the parts that I took out of the bad hub or the good one. Seeing as how bearing fit more than one vehicle I just want to make sure it's not something that is used for one vehicle but not another.

Attachments