• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Daughter recovering M109 Van.... Help?

Mark3395

Mde the mistake of having my daughter drive me to Warner Robbins to pick up a deuce and she fell in love with an M109 van. So I've given her one for early Christmas.

She's heading from Illinois Quad Cities E. down I-74 to I-75, then South to Atlanta.

Would sure like some contacts and phone numbers in case she has trouble en route. Sort of oasis in case of trouble.

I'm going to drive the truck a way to check it out good (been fixing it up for several days) then turn back and let her have the helm.

Please advise if you're near her route.... just in case.

Thanks.

Mark3395

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
PM sent.

:D

Mark3395

Sorry guys, she's married. Sort of a non-standard lady.

And if I were to seek an addition to the family, it wouldn't be a SS guy. Maybe an SS girl.:smile:

Mark

Mark3395

Progress report:

After replacing the transfer case and repacking the right front bearings and putting two nice tires on the front, Monica took off today after a little training drive. She's nearing Lexington KY as I type this. Insurance was a problem but State Farm came through.

Seems to have had a bit of trouble with low fuel or gunk 140 miles out, but put in some 911 and topped off and the truck is driving fine.

mckeeranger

Progress report:

After replacing the transfer case and repacking the right front bearings and putting two nice tires on the front, Monica took off today after a little training drive. She's nearing Lexington KY as I type this. Insurance was a problem but State Farm came through.

Seems to have had a bit of trouble with low fuel or gunk 140 miles out, but put in some 911 and topped off and the truck is driving fine.
Glad things are going well.

Did she wave as she went by me? I didn't see her wave or hear her honk the horn or anything. :-(

Seriously though, If you posted this at 21:53, she was about ready to stop for the night, or if she drove through the night she should be home by now.

How is it going?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Although our hormonal DrGreg has already posted this earlier, I shall repeat it now that the recovery is underway and stictly from the perspective of an OD ADDICT (not a single young stud lookin' for a woman).....

nopics

Hope the recovery is still going well :grd:

Mark3395

The trip is finished. She called and advised that she had made it home and the truck was parked out front... on a flat bit of road. Should stand out in the neighborhood.

Only problem at the end is a parking brake cable that seems to have failed. She plans to shim it and get it working but I've advised a new one is better because of liklihood current cable is failing and stretching.

She's got a fuel cutoff stop thingy that was attached to a data plate with a chain... and will hold the stop handle out to prevent the nasty bump-it-and-it's-likely-to-run-away-backwards accident. Got chocking too.

She surprises me with her audacity in the trip... like parking the truck in front of her Aunt's place on a cul-de-sac. I wouldn't have done it but she got in and out with no problem... on her first drive.

Papabear, I was supposed to be en route Brazil this week or I'd likely have come down. USPS seems to have lost the (ahem) priority mail envelope.

Anyway, it was quite and adventure... an 800 mile recovery...

Thanks to all the kind folks who stood by to help her. It was a major confidence builder.

Mark

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
OK Mark...maybe next time?

Don't forget....the GA Rally is the 3rd week of Oct.
I'm gonna make it this year even if they have to put me and MB both in an ambulance for transport!!!
Heck...we have 2 M43s, an M725, M170 and an M718 and our own Doc...so what the heck...right??rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks