• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Death wobble + Doghead relay mod

a175

Yesterday, I survived the dreaded "death wobble". It was quick. It was freaky. Then it ended. Hope it doesn't happen again and at a higher speed.

On a positive note-
I just (as within the last 5 minutes) did the doghead relay mod. This is the first time in my entire life that I have attempted electrical work on some thing that I own and want to keep alive.
I knew that I had reached the point of no return as I snipped my first wire and thought "Wow...I better not mess this up. This is my ONLY vehicle."
Word of advice to anyone thinking of this, make sure you have the connectors/ring terminals (spade head terminals will work for the two smaller ones, everything worked with 10/12 gauge terminals) BEFORE you start. I got lucky, and my mom gave me a ride to Advance before they closed.
I am real proud of myself for not destroying my CUCV, and I am very VERY grateful to SteelSoldiers for providing this wealth of information. If your considering it, but are concerned about skill or confidence, don't worry. If I can do it, anyone can.
Thanks, fellas.
You guys are amazing.
:beer:

12vctd

As far as your Death wobble, its not going to go away. It needs to be adressed it comes and hits at the worst times. I would inspect your front end componets very well get a friend to move your steering wheel with the truck off back and forth and check your tie rods and drag link, inspect your steering stabilizer for slop unbolt it and see how hard it is to push in. inspect your king pins ( my most common find for death wobble).

ryan77

My bad, i was thinking of my ram 2500 with dana 60 it has ball joints i just changed them and the axle seals what a treat that was!!!!

Madfarmersson

Hey good job. [thumbzup]
Every body has a first time, I just fixed a starter relay wire on my CUCV
about 10 minutes ago. luckily I live on a farm, so I have been messing with
electrical stuff for a few years. But still there is nothing more frustrating:?.

Good luck with the DEATH WOBBLE.

Madfarmersson.

12vctd

I would suggest before buying anything you check all your parts, Ive seen tie rods cause death wobble. Unless you just want to rebuild the front then id do the king pins first

ryan77

The suspension parts are so cheap just rebuild the whole front end get a alignment and be done with it!!!!:beer:

a175

Holy Crap! So, my headlights were pretty dim and I just bought new ones. Installed. Cranked truck just fine, then all lights (speedo/fuel gauge lights, headlights, and blinkers) went away. When I crank, I see a faint glow from under the dash. There might be a "pop" when I crank. I think I even heard "pshhh" the last time I pulled the little headlight knob thingy also.
Help! I go to work in 6.5 hours.:-?

a175

Doghead Mod + New Headlights = NO LIGHTS!!! Help! CUCV 911 needed!

Mods/admins.... sorry for the new thread, but I go to work in 6 hours and I'm in a bind. Hopefully somebody is still awake.

I did the doghead mod as per the sticky. I also installed new headlights. Truck cranked fine, then headlights and dash lights went out. Blinkers don't work, either. The only lights that come on are the initial little warning lights when key is in "on" position. There is a faint glow that I can see where the new relay is when I crank.

Please Help!

Justin

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the headlight fuse. It could have been marginal and the new lights overloaded it.

This fuse is known to overheat and melt the socket.

a175

Indeed. 30 amp headlight fused melted like nacho cheese. I consider myself lucky, though...
The socket isn't dead (tested with blinker fuse), and I have a 24 hour WalMart here.
I'm amazed how much crap runs off that one fuse.

2deuce

I have a 95 dodge and the headlights are a weak point with a melting headlight switch. If your connection in the fuse box gets corroded heat will be produced when current demand rises. The worse the connection becomes the more heat thats produced. The fuse often doesn't blow and your fusebox fries. If your seeing some signs of heat, I would keep a close eye on it.

12vctd

But if you want to see if its purely your king pins causing your issue just slip 2 fender washers under each king pin cap. drive the truck a few days and if its cured thats your problem. But I do advise you check out the entire steering system.

onegmjack

If the fuse box melts or become unusable, would be best to replace the whole thing, that is costly whole wiring harness,and time consuming.You can add a in line fuse to the wires going to that fuse,not my favorite way to repair but will work.

a175

ok please dont put 911 in the title. yes this needs to be fixed but your not on the side of the road and on fire.
Sorry, guys. Just freaked out for awhile. I was worried that I had really buggered something up to the point of it being pretty bad.

That one socket does have signs of a slight melt. I guess I'll be looking for a new fuse box.

Strange, it seems that my brake lights aren't lighting up now. Hoping that their just burnt out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks