• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

death wobble.. Fixing it with the steering stabilizer?

rustystud

One thing I have not seen mentioned is the steering gear. I just today had to adjust my sector shaft as it was a little loose. If your steering gear is worn it can cause this "death wobble" when braking and turning. I had a IHC 1800 series that had a bad steering gear. I bought the truck from the military auction (GSA) and they just removed the steering belt to stop the problem.
There is a wave plate in there that is adjusted to specific specs, and if it gets out of adjustment it can cause the steering gear to move back and forth violently ! It can move so violently it can shake the steering wheel right out of your hands ! If after you have checked all the linkages and King-pins and tires and still have the problem then it's time to check the steering gear.

True. I even replaced the steering gear. The original was fine but had to go as part of the steering conversion. I did find one of the four mounting bolts sheered.