• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

death wobble.. Fixing it with the steering stabilizer?

rustystud

One thing I have not seen mentioned is the steering gear. I just today had to adjust my sector shaft as it was a little loose. If your steering gear is worn it can cause this "death wobble" when braking and turning. I had a IHC 1800 series that had a bad steering gear. I bought the truck from the military auction (GSA) and they just removed the steering belt to stop the problem.
There is a wave plate in there that is adjusted to specific specs, and if it gets out of adjustment it can cause the steering gear to move back and forth violently ! It can move so violently it can shake the steering wheel right out of your hands ! If after you have checked all the linkages and King-pins and tires and still have the problem then it's time to check the steering gear.

True. I even replaced the steering gear. The original was fine but had to go as part of the steering conversion. I did find one of the four mounting bolts sheered.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks