• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Denton NC MV & Surplus Show 14-16 April 2016

Landbarger

I'm 2 for 2 on meeting exceptional people through steelsoldiers, and both of them will be in attendance. Hopefully I can up the count and keep the same level of success at the Denton rally!

driver200150

I've never been to one of these but I am definitely interested. How does this event compare to say..the GA Rally in size, participation etc.?

Are there water/power hookups for campers? Parking area for a tractor/trailer if I wanted to transport a couple of MVs?

Finally....how is the weather NORMALLY? I don't do well in cold weather.:D
Screenshot_2016-01-05-14-17-01.jpgScreenshot_2016-01-05-14-17-01.jpg

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Are there water/power hookups for campers? Parking area for a tractor/trailer if I wanted to transport a couple of MVs?
There's room, and there are hookups... now, whether or not they are operational... There's plenty of space if you get there early enough/wait to leave long enough for an 18-wheeler of some sort to maneuver. But it's not uber smooth long curves. There's a nice twist and turn coming in, but I'm pretty sure some of that Thresher stuff that comes in, comes in on 18-wheelers...

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Papa bear it's not GA rally size yet but we're trying to build it to that level to have a spring event it was great time last year so bring yourself and as many GA mafia as you can.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Papa bear it's not GA rally size yet but we're trying to build it to that level to have a spring event it was great time last year so bring yourself and as many GA mafia as you can.
Just got a PM stating most of what is said above. Sounds like a good "Spring Event" to me. I'm gonna start planning on being there. If we make it I'm sure it will be we arrive early Thursday and leave sometime Sunday.

Looks like it's about a 7 hour trip one way.

Hmmm...Now I gotta start thinking about what vehicles to bring.:whistle:

Last edited:

driver200150

Just got a PM stating most of what is said above. Sounds like a good "Spring Event" to me. I'm gonna start planning on being there. If we make it I'm sure it will be we arrive early Thursday and leave sometime Sunday.

Looks like it's about a 7 hour trip one way.

Hmmm...Now I gotta start thinking about what vehicles to bring.:whistle:
You can show up as early as Wednesday and set up.

Another Ahab

That would be something:

- That the two rallies get big enough equally to be called THE Fall Rally and THE Spring Rally each.

But of course, "The GA Rally" has a certain ring to it, doesn't it?

tacticalmike

I've never been to one of these but I am definitely interested. How does this event compare to say..the GA Rally in size, participation etc.?

there is enough room for a tractor trailer. the weather should be comfy by day and cool by night. the biggest this rally has been was around 100 trucks is what ive been told and thats been with very little advertising and not advertised early enough. but jim is mainly a 1 mam show. now that us local guys are jumping in and helping with our free time it should get better. getting involved makes a difference.

Another Ahab

there is enough room for a tractor trailer. the weather should be comfy by day and cool by night. the biggest this rally has been was around 100 trucks is what ive been told and thats been with very little advertising and not advertised early enough.
Whoa! 100 vehicles sounds SOME kind of big sure enough.

I guess I never noticed a vehicle count of any of the GA Rally events. Does anybody know the typical vehicle count there (you know +/-), in comparison?

Ford Mechanic

Hey, there's plenty of room there. It's a huge place. I'm sure they have semi's come in during the farm show, it's a massive event. There are lots of camper places too, but no sewer hook up. There is a dump station and wash houses.

tacticalmike

Whoa! 100 vehicles sounds SOME kind of big sure enough.

I guess I never noticed a vehicle count of any of the GA Rally events. Does anybody know the typical vehicle count there (you know +/-), in comparison?
seems like i heard around 120+ ........the denton rally averages around 65-70 but one time right at 100 i was told. we need to rally up over 100 trucks this time and i think its possible with steel soldiers, facebook, instagram, radio, flyers and word of mouth.

wilfreeman

We WILL have shirts this year !!! We will start a thread later for pre-orders, and will also have some available at the show. To make sure we have your needed sizes pre-order will ensure that! We are hoping that the shirt sales will come close to covering the insurance costs alone just to open the gates.
Man, that's great! I've been wanting to get t shirts since the 2nd year!

We'd love to have you there PB! And any other regulars from the GA rally as well. As stated previously, we are trying to grow this rally in order to keep it alive. A bunch of the locals are doing a great job stepping up to add events to this rally to draw more people (spectators AND participants). Water and 30A power at the main camping spots in the woods and at least 1 dump station. I'm not sure about 50A power and sewer hookups up on the main road where the larger campers usually set up. PLENTY of campsites available (I think they have around 400?) all around the event as far away or close as you want to be. Fairly nice bath houses if you want a full size shower with unlimited hot water too.

That would be something:

- That the two rallies get big enough equally to be called THE Fall Rally and THE Spring Rally each.

But of course, "The GA Rally" has a certain ring to it, doesn't it?
This one started off as an MVPA event. Re enactors and Steel Soldiers also attended. Last year there was a real good showing of re enactors, a few MVPA and I think the rest were Steel Soldiers (I don't know if we even did an official count).

No reason that this one can't be called "The Denton Rally" - is already being called that by those of us that have been attending since the start. I think that this one is in a great area for people in the more northern and northwestern areas(PA/WV/VA/OH/KY and TN) to be able to attend. I have had people from the MVPA crowd contact me that were interested from as far off as Michigan and Indiana. Hopefully they will be able to attend this year. The GA rally hosts people from all over the country (and world), but is easiest to get to from the southern states. Having a big Spring rally up north and a Fall rally down south would be a little something for everybody!

Last edited:

DanM7890

We'd love to have you there PB! And any other regulars from the GA rally as well. As stated previously, we are trying to grow this rally in order to keep it alive. A bunch of the locals are doing a great job stepping up to add events to this rally to draw more people (spectators AND participants). Water and 30A power at the main camping spots in the woods and at least 1 dump station. I'm not sure about 50A power and sewer hookups up on the main road where the larger campers usually set up. PLENTY of campsites available (I think they have around 400?) all around the event as far away or close as you want to be. Fairly nice bath houses if you want a full size shower with unlimited hot water too.
With that many spots do you need to come early and claim a spot for camping? Just curious, first time coming to this event. Also I would like to pitch in for the BBQ and what not. I am not very good with letting others donate their time AND money for other peoples fun. I am only an hour away so if there's anything I can help with!

tacticalmike

With that many spots do you need to come early and claim a spot for camping? Just curious, first time coming to this event. Also I would like to pitch in for the BBQ and what not. I am not very good with letting others donate their time AND money for other peoples fun. I am only an hour away so if there's anything I can help with!
hope to find out tomorrow about reserving spots and get other question answered. im thinking about doing a "tip jar" for wheelspinner and the cook.......hoping it will not offend anyone.

wilfreeman

There's never been a problem getting a spot where you want. They usually don't take reservations for a particular spot. This event is put on by Jim and Bob and in the past, you rarely even see any Farmpark employees unless there is a problem or the owner is riding around talking to you. You show up, pick your spot and set up. Someone will be around to collect your money and give you a parking/camping pass. There are plenty of spots in the wooded area right off of the main paved road. The MKT is usually set up on the 1st gravel road and everyone wants to be in quick walking distance of it (if you are going to eat from it).

Attachments

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

You don't have to reserve a spot. The park has 10k plus people in it at any one time during the farm show. There are camping hook ups every where. Bring a atv if you have one, the wife and I rode around looking one afternoon lots to look at. Their website shows 400 camp sites and 5 bath houses.

https://m.facebook.com/dentonfarmpark/

http://dentonfarmpark.com/accommodations/

wilfreeman

Does anyone have any other questions for us to ask them tomorrow.
Make sure they are going to have the water on and the water heaters in the bath houses working. That was a problem 2 years ago - busted water lines and Don and his wife got a water heater going on the first day.

tacticalmike

There's never been a problem getting a spot where you want. They usually don't take reservations for a particular spot. This event is put on by Jim and Bob and in the past, you rarely even see any Farmpark employees unless there is a problem or the owner is riding around talking to you. You show up, pick your spot and set up. Someone will be around to collect your money and give you a parking/camping pass. There are plenty of spots in the wooded area right off of the main paved road. The MKT is usually set up on the 1st gravel road and everyone wants to be in quick walking distance of it (if you are going to eat from it).
i plan on setting up wednesday near the main gate in the shade. good place for my enclosed trailer, tables and tents. also, the event t-shirts will be for sale close by that area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks