• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

designing & building custom winch mounts - front & rear

runk

Whatever works. That's perfect. Only thing I didn't see is the width of the slot, and am assuming it's the same as my brackets (somewhere between .515 and .525"). Another discrepancy seems to be with respect to where the slot is located (front-to-back), relative to the center of the back mounting hole. On my brackets, it looks like the center of that slot is right around .375" forward of the center of that hole, and but yours are more like .3125? hmmm, would sure like to compare measurements from another set of brackets.
Measued at the bottom of the slot (to ignore the top, which is slightly twisted and different on both of my brackets, so I suspect they have been tweeked over the years) I would say the slot is 1/2" to 17/32" wide. I agree the slot centerline is 3/8" in front of the rear hole centerline. (I have been using fractions instead of decimals because I have found that most of the parts on the truck were engineered to common fractions, and it is really hard to get precise measurements with the layers of paint and rust...)

runk

The brackets may be different because of the ages of the trucks ? While mine is registered as a 71' matching the dash and paperwork that came with it from GL, at least the frame, cab and one axle (Timkin, not Rockwell !) are early gasser parts from ~1951 based on the frame serial number I later uncovered. Some of the other parts have been as old (air governer, the burned out headlight had metal connectors on it instead of the newer rubber ones, etc.).

HanksDeuce

8 inches? why so far? I only had to move my bumper out one bolt hole or about two inches.
Can you post more pictures of your winch mount? I have a Warn 18000 lb winch I would like to mount just like yours. I need pics of the supporting plate and everything going on behind the bumper. Thanks!

elec front winch

the bumper mounts with 6 bolts per side onto the frame. I moved the bumper out one bolt hole so now I have only four bolts per side holding the bumper on. I think that's plenty strong. I wanted to keep the winch and bumper up tight and light. If I have serious winching to do I use the rear 20K PTO. Hope this helpsGreg

Attachments

Man the at looks exactly how I want it. Looks like you cut out the bumper a little too?

I also love how you have the bumper cut too. Do you have the fenders cut as well?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks