• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce A2 - Opinion

ryker725

I'm considering a private sale from the dealer who picked up a Deuce from Camp Shelby a while back. All the leg work has been done as far as getting it recovered and having it made road ready. I looked at it yesterday and this is a very tight running deuce. Strong motor, no leaks and good tires. No cancer rust anywhere.

I've never bought an A2 before. Do you guys consider his asking price of $3,500 a typically fair price for the truck?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I agree. Also, how do you know its been gone through? Did he tell you, or did you look at the fluids? Is there receipts showing parts put into it? Just wondering.

ryker725

It has not been titled yet, but it has been inspected and certified by the Louisiana State Police and according to the dealer it has everything needed to bring to the DMV to have it registered and titled... Everything works.. Lights blinkers horn... Here is a link to the pic...

M35A2 #MT8490 - Ken's ATV

ryker725

He buys them from GL auctions, gets them to his shop where he fixes and bleeds the brakes, changes injectors if needed fixes whatever may be broken. He sells them from a dealership but none of them have been titled with the state yet.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just as a precaution, if you are going to buy the truck, get photocopies of the documents he will give you that will allow you to title it, then go to the DMV, and ask if they would accept the real documents based on the photocopies you have. If so, then your good. If not, well, that would be a huge problem.

I've seen a few people with the "you'll be good to go at the DMV with this GL SF-97 in the sellers name or you can get a bonded title or International Title Service can title if got $200 or all you need is a bill of sale" lines go to DMV and get told by DMV "thats not doable" in this state... Then the buyer gets stuck with a paperweight. YOU need to check with your DMV, and not just take his word.

If the seller is legit and has done this before, he should have no problem giving you photocopies or going with you to DMV. If not, I'd find another place to buy from.

From the pic, it looks decent. One of those miles/hours figures is not correct.. Unless the thing goes like jet fighter plane fast.

Last edited:

ryker725

Seller is legit. He is a dealer and has sold many of these before.

I basically pay him the sales price, plus a $25 notary fee and $20 for a temp tag and he gives me the original paperwork. Then I'm good to go to the DMV..

wiggall

From the pic, it looks decent. One of those miles/hours figures is not correct.. Unless the thing goes like jet fighter plane fast.[/QUOTE]

The tac might have been replaced.

scopionf89

the best thing to do with a truck that has is in a paper weight status as has all ready been posted is to register it in Georgia.

Georgia you dont need an SF-97 all you need is insurance paper work with the vin or s/n number and the vehical in question be older than 1985 and they will registar it. Aloso if you are frome another state and you buy your truck frome some one in GA then its a lot easer. when I got my truck it did not have a title or an SF-97 form I told the state of Idaho that in GA no title is required if the vehical is older than a 1985. they registared the truck after talking to the dealer and then 2 weeks later my title came in the male.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
In AL when you buy anything with an SF-97 you have to get an AL title in your name. Not a big deal just some money and time. You then use the AL title to transfer the ownership to the buyer and he then gets a title in his name.

Unless the vehicle is older than 1976...then you can't get a title....you just use the tag reciept and bill of sale.

Confused???? I sure am and I live here.rofl

Akicita

I bought mine from a dealer. Paid a little more than your dealer is asking. Title was included in the deal in my case. The dealer had checked the truck and made repairs where necessary before I picked it up. All I had to do was pay him, bolt the license tag on and drive home. No surprises. Very convenient !

Wolfen

Here in Oregon, I bought a 1942 WC53 from Out of State with a Title. I took it to the DMV, they Verified the Serial Number and gave me a Oregon Title.

R Racing

Nice looking truck !! Get him to straighten the passanger mirror bracket before you close the deal And maybe have him add the round mirrors as well ;)

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If a dealer they should handle all the paperwork and a title should be sent to you.
Buying from a dealer, you should not have to go to the DMV, they do.
but hey, it's your money.

paulfarber

Seller is legit. He is a dealer and has sold many of these before.

I basically pay him the sales price, plus a $25 notary fee and $20 for a temp tag and he gives me the original paperwork. Then I'm good to go to the DMV..
Seller is ripping you off compared to getting it off GL direct.

You are getting NO WARRANTY, and getting little more than a truck off the GL lot with a $1500-$2000 mark up.

Truck is probably an early/mid 70s with an 80s rebuild. I doubt that there is any service other than enough to get it off the 'lot' and you still need to pay sales tax (when you title it) and get a title. You may be able to go with a bill of sale, but an SF-97 is better of the two.

If he's are dealer, he should be giving you a title.. otherwise he's a flipper and doesn't give a crap about you after he has your money.

If you want to pay a $2000 'have it today' fee (plus sales tax, tags/plates/title), go for it.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I do agree with Paul, some people dont have the time/expertise/gamble of playing GL's game. Yes, you can save $ by going to GL direct this is for sure, but you then need to play the "GL game". Find a good truck, inspect it, bid, win, pay, EUC paperwork, hope nothing gets "removed" from the truck with it's in GL's poession, get it off GL's lot with in the time frame they give, get tags/ insurance, get it running if needed, ect, and get it home.

Some people dont want to play the game, some people do. It all depends on the buyer, and how their time is worth, and if they are a gambler.

I'd say there is more recourse for the buyer thru a private seller than GL. We all know how much service after the same there is with GL...............

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks