• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce all painted [mostly]

F18hornetM

Just wanted to give an update on our paint job. We read lots of painting posts and decided we would use Rapco 383 for the Green base color. Which went on very well. We mixed it just like the instructions said. One part thinner to 4 parts paint. Covered very nice and was easy to apply. Whole truck got 2 coats. Although the hood got like 6 coats, had to work on the "tiger striping" but that was our painting techniques fault, not the paint.
We used the Rapco brown spray can for the brown, Brown seems to be relatively small areas so the rattle cans was the easiest. used 3 cans.
For the black we used Napa, duplicolor. It sucked. In the end looks ok, but had to put about 4-5 coats on each black are to come out even. The rapco brown, in the spray can, painted evenly, flowed together very well. Next time I'm just going to use rapco flat black as well.
Also got a couple spray cans of Rapco 383 green for touch up and it matches perfectly, goes on even. Seems like good paint.
Primer..used Rapco primer with mixed feelings about it. On the rusty, no paint areas, works very well. Seems to soak right in and seals up rusty places. On the places where body work was needed, didnt seem to fill as well as Napa Dupli-color Filler primer. [FP101] seemed to cover body filler better and sanded after just a few minutes. so in hind site i would use both. This winter we plan to remove the rear bed and paint underneath and frame. The Rapco primer I think would work best for the rusty parts. I attached some pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

midcounty

Looking good! The 383 doesn't look much different then the forest green I used. I was worried the 383 would be brighter then that. Shame we couldn't get together this weekend at the show and shine so you could show it off.

F18hornetM

Thanks guys. Read alot of advice from here, was valuable.
The 383 does seem a little brighter than I would like. When I see yours, my next may be your color.

Yeah sucks midcounty, but we'll all do something. I ended up having to work today anyway. Setting up staging area at perdue stadium for mutual assistance crews. Otherwise in good shape here.

midcounty

We are starting at 5am. They want a full report of damages by 9am, so they know where the contractors are most needed. Sounds like they may split up our crews, and we may all be bird dogs for the contractors. Hoping I don't need the Deuce just to get to work :shock:

F18hornetM

I can see it now bird doging with Choptank decals on the side of your duece. We use meter readers and engineer fieldman for bird dogs. Usually trouble men and crews do restoration work with contractors. I guess depends on how bad damage, like you said, everybody might be bird dogs.
I stay today till 6pm, then back in the morning at 6ami
According to our weather people, worst of it here will be around 2300. Seems the eye will take about 3 hours to pass as the winds are predicted at only 25 for that time. and then back up 50-60 tapering off mid morning.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job! all you guys painting your trucks, I got to get off my can and do it. You said you had some body filler, much rust? mine has some filler from the Government. They put on new doors and fenders, but puttied the cab. Thanks for posting the pics.

F18hornetM

Good job! all you guys painting your trucks, I got to get off my can and do it. You said you had some body filler, much rust? mine has some filler from the Government. They put on new doors and fenders, but puttied the cab. Thanks for posting the pics.
Thanks, Both fenders, on the side towards the door had some rust, so I cut out the rusted pieces and welded in new ones. Then finished off with filler. Also on the rear bed, no holes but no paint in someplaces. So was pited. Used thin filler to smooth out those areas. I also found filler in a few places to. Looked like to repair dents.

roady

Dude that truck looks great. I can tell by the sunshine in the pictures you didnt take them today though. I really like the picture with the German Shepard guarding the truck. I miss my old Shepard. Well you Midcounty stay safe out there and as dry as you can. It is really starting to pick up here.

F18hornetM

Thanks Roady, we'll all get together and do something before long.
I'm off for today, got home about 8, gotta go back in at 6am. Wnidy and nasty here, but so far so good...something like 6000 customers out which is awesome really...so far..crews are still out working but I'm sure they will call them in soon, for the night. Start again in the morning.

rneely

What kind of filler did you use. Were any holes filled without welding a patch and if so how did you fill them?
I have a deuce with lots of rust blisters that I know will be holes once I start sanding on them. I don't have a welder so was wondering what filler would do the job.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks