• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce and www.steelsoldiers.com on SurvivalBlog

ZRacer

He also forgot to note the deuces speed. He compared it to a 68 Bronco. One is slightly slower than the other.
I thought he noted the Deuce's speed quite clearly:

"It's no hot rod sports car either. Top speed is governor limited to 56 mph. Realistically, expect about 45 to 50mph cruising speed if it’s loaded up."

And I have to agree with the recent posts that I don't see anything wrong with a little preparation... Plus I think the "armed and ready" look would be somewhat of a deterrent.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There have been 2 letters to the editor at Survivalblog in response to the original article about the deuce. The first is by a gentleman that states he worked for AM General during the 80's and he has some interesting comments. One of them is in regards to the turning radius of the deuce compared to a Ford F350 (deuce having smaller turning radius). While that may be true I will say I can handle my F250 in parking lot much easier than I can my deuce.

jatonka

I haven't met EVERY Steel Soldier, but, I have met a lot of you. Every single one of you I know are "Preppers" in one sense or another. I think it is great that James Wesley Rawles' Survival Blog has become aware of the Deuce as the Ultimate GOOD vehicle. I have 2 M109s with Trailers, one to live in and one to work out of, ready to do what they do all the while. Something wrong with that? JT

Attachments

stumps

I'll bug in too, for the same reasons.

My problem with the article is now the "Preppers" know what to steal. I'd rather they thought deuces were big, loud, slow and got terrible mileage.

A large part of the "Prepper" philosophy is to stock up and be prepared, but being prepared also includes being ready to commandeer things you need (fuel from cars and trucks you find on the road, water, food, guns and supplies looted from stores....).

-Chuck

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I am glad they referenced Steel Soldiers because nobody can argue with the fact that we are THE site for deuce owners. Hopefully, some of the survival folks will wander over here and learn something about the vehicles they lust after on GL and eBay.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A large part of the "Prepper" philosophy is to stock up and be prepared, but being prepared also includes being ready to commandeer things you need (fuel from cars and trucks you find on the road, water, food, guns and supplies looted from stores....).
Not sure of the Preppers you know but most of the ones I'm familiar with believe looters are nothing but criminals. The whole meaning behind "Prepping" is to have things in order so you don't have someone resorting to looting. My friends believe in having enough put away to provide charity to those without forethought to prepare. Your idea of Preppers seems to be based on Mad Max not real people.

Last edited:

bkwudzhom

I think that Stumps was refering to scavenging abandoned areas for supplies. There is a big difference between scavenging and looting.
scav·enge
v. scav·enged, scav·eng·ing, scav·eng·es
v.tr. 1. To search through for salvageable material: scavenged the garbage cans for food scraps.
2. To collect and remove refuse from: The streets are periodically scavenged.
3. To collect (salvageable material) by searching.

loot·ing
1. To pillage; spoil.
2. To take as spoils; steal.
v.intr. To engage in pillaging.

Chris I was thinking the same thing. WHY others want to learn about an MV is irrelavant. The fact that they look here as an educational site for that information speaks volumes!

lonegunman

I'm more of a LMOE kind of guy. (last man on earth) I'm not bugging anywhere if I can avoid it. Like Steve, I work for a utility and we move heaven and earth to keep the lights on, water flowing, garbage hauled and sewers draining. To me something becomes very apparent during the occasion riots, protests, blizzards or in the even of something like Katrina in 2005.

If you take away the lights and law enforcement at the same time, the place will degenerate into a cesspool in short order. You will quickly find yourself on the wrong side of a self-righteous mob from the entitlement generation as they demand your food, water, home, car, money or life to take care of themselves. There are plenty of people out there who will do the worst possible, the first chance they get or when things get tough.

You got to see the worst of everything during the hurricane. People suffering because they were to lazy or uninclined to heed warnings by the hundreds to leave, civilians robbing, raping, looting and killing, cops attacking people who remained and disarming them for no apparent reason, government officials making endless strings of bad decisions and the usual media hoard doing it's best to turn the entire thing into a circus.

I have always loved driving the deuce, it was my favorite truck when I was in the ANG. Given the choice of a deuce and a half or an old beater pickup, I did a lot of research and voted for a deuce. Last year I bought the my trusty A3 and have been enjoying it ever since. It is great for working on some rural property I have and it will easily drive through deep snow or over muddy crumbling roads. I can haul whatever I need in bad weather or rough terrain. This year I added a like new MEP-002 to my budding collection of stuff to keep my house running during whatever emergency occurs.

I'm not staying awake nights pondering the end of days just yet. I do on the other hand like being a bit prepared for a few bad days, an extended outtage of power, water or the occasional blizzard.

Last edited:

gunboy1656

Adragontattoo

TDY has more then Temp Duty as a definition...

Task(Temp) Duty Yonder amongst others.

And some part of my brain is worried about M35's getting attention in any way. I dont want prices to skyrocket because the survival clowns have decided to stockpile parts in addition to food, fuel, guns and rounds.

ford

As gunboy1656 mentioned, I did find my way over from the SurvivalBlog post. I was, however, already a Deuce fan before I ever found SurvivalBlog. I saw some negativity towards survivalist/preppers and I just wanted to chime in on the prepping discussion. I started prepping at an early age out of need. I have always lived w/ in 40 miles of the gulf coast. As a child, on Glaveston Island. Ever since I can remember, we always had a bug out vehicle and a few bags already packed with essentials. On occasion, we had to head for the hills for a hurricane and it was handy already having everything ready to go. With hurricane Rita, I was about 250 miles from the projected path but my parents were much closer. They ended up bugging out a little too late and got stuck in traffic. On the news, I saw many stuck with no food or water or gas and many many miles from the nearest station (which was probably already sold out of everything anyways). Some died, many were injured. Looting, theft, and assault was prevalent. Fortunately, Dad had my truck (2500HD with the long bed) full of his prep crates. With him and Mom, he had ~1 month worth of food, 100 gallons of potable water, and 100 gallons of fuel. Also some ammo, clothes, and tools. On multiple occasions, Dad had to fend off the crazies from looting the truck.

Then during Ike, I was at home with my folks to help out if things got bad. They did. Lost power, tree fell through our house. Most were with out power for 2 weeks. We had 3 months of food stocked and about 500 gallons of water stored. The 7.5 kw genny kept our garage apartment with electricy, ac, hot water, and a working fridge until the power finally came back on.

We only prep because we know we are going to need it. Some are wacky and are preparing for TEOTWAWKI but others prep just in case *something* happens and we don't want to get caught with our pants around our ankles. I have also noticed that some prepping activities actually save me money in the long run. Like my vegetable gardens and solar panels. I even make some extra money off of the worm composting I do for my own garden. It also came in handy when I lost my job last year and didn't have to worry about using any of my savings to eat off of since I had several months of food stocked and provide my own water and some of my own electricity.

What it comes down to is how crazy you get with it. But the same can be said about MV nuts :)

Last edited:

Adragontattoo

Bug out and prep is one thing and makes sense. The survival clowns I refer to are the ones who stocked MREs by the case for Y2k ammo by the crate because of a rumor and a guess etc.. the guys whose version of being preparewd requires their closest 400 friends and neighbors in order to move them or bug out.

Atomic

Ford,
Well said sir and welcome to the site.

What it comes down to is how crazy you get with it. But the same can be said about MV nuts :smile:
I couldn't agree more. Just look at the crazy sports fans. You can go overboard in anything. :cookoo:

Welcome and post some pics of that deuce we know your going to get!:driver:

jatonka

As I sit here reading these posts, it seems like one post answers another and that there are two sides out here, one, pro preparedness and the other, thinking preppers and survivalists are "crazies". My thought is, as we look back, every American in a somewhat rural setting has always been a prepper or survivalist since the 1600s. Or you died. The difference today is many people live in or near populated areas and use the grocery store as their food pantry, root cellar or smoke house. They don't need a garden, don't need to store any fuel, there are dozens of gas stations all around their neighborhood. No need to have guns and ammo, the police are always ready to respond.
But...... if something occurs naturally or man made to screw up the constant supply of food, electricity, medical care, and able law enforcement, would you rather be a prepared person or one of the natsayers? I enjoyed my garden this year, pulled carrots tonight. I'll eat the food whether there is a catastrophe or not, right? JT out

unclemikey

I believe in Prep. One of the reasons I have the Deuce is I feel it is one of the best vehicles for that reason. Also I have always wanted one. I believe that bad things can happen, and most likely will happen sometime. I want to be ready if it does. If I am wrong, Oh ****, all I ended up with is a really cool vehicle that I love. If that is the downside.......I can live with it! 2cents

stumps

Those who have read my writings on SS, probably have noticed that I choose my words fairly carefully, and deliberately.

When I used the word commandeer, I meant the colloquial definition which is to forcibly take possession of. When I used the word loot, I meant plunder or sack... what you see people do during every disaster.

In the course of my life's wanderings, I have met all sorts of people. Having attended numerous hamfests, gun shows, gun shoots, and MV shows, I have met a fair number of folks that live on the fringes of so-called polite society. [They say birds of a feather flock together, so what can that say about me?] Among them self proclaimed preppers, militia, wannabe anarchists, and wannabe revolutionaries.

All of them seem to have a culture that values being prepared. They follow that culture to varying degrees, of course.

I have met folks that think it will come down to tooth and nail, and so they sharpen their teeth, and nails to points (yes, they are out there!). I have met folks that think it will come down to a gun fight, and so they hoard guns and ammo in quantities that make the activities of the Branch Davidians seem like those of dabblers. I have met those that hoard food, and those that hoard MV's as well. I have even met a few that hoard BBQ propane tanks, but we won't go there.

In listening to all of the bravado these folks on the fringe spew, one common thread seems to always come out: I'll do anything it takes to survive. That anything, if explored, includes forcibly taking the possessions of others.

When push comes to shove, will they actually live up to their bravado? I suspect the majority will wet their pants, and hide under a rock somewhere quaking, but some will really do anything.

It is those that I am worried about.

-Chuck