• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce back axles

poppop

FMJ's question was answered. Both axles are powered at all times. But you could have any combination of wheels spinning, left front and right rear, both on the same side or right front and left rear. It is the nature of a differinial to drive the wheels with the least resistance, so whichever set of wheels on each axle has the least resistance will spin. The only way to stop this is to insall lockers of some sort. When you get stuck like on ice you can sometimes apply the brakes to make the load equal and then they will all pull. I have done this many times.

poppop

About 4 posts were added while I was typing. I will add one more thing, over the road tractors have a disconnect between the tandems, this is to keep the gears from fighting each other and also to minimize tire wear. But without lockers only one wheel on each axle will turn unless the traction is the same for all wheels. Dueces do not have this disconnect, that is why some guys remove an axle from the rear to decrease drag.

KsM715

Affirmative, both rear axles are locked together.
With the standard deuce axles, yes, one wheel of the intermediate axle and one wheel of the rear axle would turn. There would need to be a interaxle differential to have just one wheel on one axle turn.
FMJ's question was answered. Both axles are powered at all times. But you could have any combination of wheels spinning, left front and right rear, both on the same side or right front and left rear. It is the nature of a differinial to drive the wheels with the least resistance, so whichever set of wheels on each axle has the least resistance will spin. The only way to stop this is to insall lockers of some sort. When you get stuck like on ice you can sometimes apply the brakes to make the load equal and then they will all pull. I have done this many times.

Yes I know both axles are locked together by the drive shaft. I was asking the OP if both of HIS axles were turning. I was thinking maybe he meant that only one of the "back" axles were turning indicating some sort of driveline problem between the two rear ends.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone ever put dual detroits (or Oversons) in a deuce? Is turning a real bugger (to put it politely)?
Can be a challenge if trying to turn under power. If your not pushing it hard in the turns, it won't be noticed.

jwaller

I have detroits in both rears of my 818 an you can defiantly tell when they lock up. it goes straight and they really begin to chew up the ground. If you have a yard you want to mulch it's perfect.

militarysteel

you could weld the spider gears, around here they call that a Lincoln locker. it would be real cheap. if you are running the ndt tires would probably be fine. if i lived in alaska or montana, or some where out there like that i would totally weld them up.

militarysteel

lol, not all the 818's have lockers my brother found out. the 3 depots he bought didn't have them, he was quite bummed,

i was told only the 818 for the marines had the lockers in them,
not sure if that is true or not.

I have detroits in both rears of my 818 an you can defiantly tell when they lock up. it goes straight and they really begin to chew up the ground. If you have a yard you want to mulch it's perfect.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks