• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Battery Box

Varyag

My battery box is pretty bad but I have caught it before it got too rough. I spent a long time scrubbing out the flakes and rot and would like to know what you guys use as a rust stabilizer.

On a side note, while doing this I was using a 6k civy genset powering a 30 gallon compressor powering a large needle scaler. I don't think I could have made more noise doing this project if I tried.

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thought if you want to upgrade, Boyce has the fiberglass battery boxes for the 5 tons for $45, just move the 2 handles to the wide side![thumbzup]

Seth_O

Mine came from GL with the plastic box. Every time I see a post about battery box issues, I read it so I can feel good about how I don't have any problems with mine :)

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thought if you want to upgrade, Boyce has the fiberglass battery boxes for the 5 tons for $45, just move the 2 handles to the wide side![thumbzup]
hndrsonj, Could you give me the link to the guy with the fiberglass battery boxes? Thanks!!

Varyag

Time to upgrade to a plastic battery box Matt. Less hassle and no more grounding out issues:wink:
Hey, I had that fixed in like 45 seconds! I already addressed that issue. I went out and got some better cables to I could position the cable in a way that there were not basically in contact with the box.

I got the thing sanded and primed last night. It is way more fun in my opinion to fix something then to just get a new one anyway.

Varyag

After I sanded, scaled, and wire brushed the box it was actually in pretty good shape. I primered and repainted the whole outside, did a rust stabilizing primer and chassis paint on the inside.

It looks really good. I am going to reinstall it tomorrow once I am sure everything has cured completely. I think it will last a while like this. It feels good to get something done right.

I appreciate the links to the plastic boxes. I am defiantly going to keep that in mind if/when it gets bad again in a few years. The steel was pitted at the bottom but no where near eaten through. I just couldn't bring myself to toss something that would be fine with a little work.

On a side note, I did it in desert tan just to see how the paint would look. I think I am safe to use the color to do my bumper numbers now.