• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Battery Options?

DeuceNewbie

I know that there have been several topics on this but as i am preparing to pick my Deuce up within the next few weeks i was wondering a few things.

Has anyone found a set of batteries that are decently priced that fit well in the compartment?

I live in texas so extreme cold is not a concern..ive seen info on making sure the cranking amps are 1000 i believe........but just wanted to know if anyone has found and proven a good set at an affordable price.

what was the model # of the battery? brand? where did you get it and how much???

Thanks!!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The deuce takes 6tl's just like my MEP-003a generators. They are not as big in one dimension (length or width, you pick), but the group 31 batteries will fit inside of the battery box nicely. Any battery make you want to use will work. Personally I think the 1000 CCA is overkill, unless it is the dead of winter and you are trying to turn over a block of ice. But I picked up a pair of Interstate 1000 CCA group 31's for $89 each.

Westex

I purchased Wal Mart batteries for mine; just under the biggest they had; If I recall, they had approx 775 CCA (cold cranking amps). Bear in mind that the batteries that come in your deuce are a perfect square. No such thing at Wal Mart, with the cca you need. I was out the door at Wal Mart with my batteries for about $200.00, put them in the battery box but found I had to re-arrange the battery leads. It can be done. I had to jack up the new batteries with cut 2X4s, and then wedge them with more 2X4s to stabilize. May sound mickey mouse, but it worked. they fit in the battery box and cranked the engine in one second (it fired).

JAYHAWK 1962

Hey deuce, hav name of guy who has some 6 tl's for 85 plus 40 shipping new but will need acid added. i looked at the 75 dollar wal mart batteries and might do that, will pm you with name

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We use heavy duty farm equipment/truck rated batteries from any good supplier in all of ours. No problems even in the winter.
Regards Marti

GoHot229

Wally's biggest. Make sure you secure your batteries from bouncing around. often-times the hold down retainer is missing in the plastic/vinyl box (battery box) and now is the time to replace cables if their chawed on the terminals or only marginally tighten down 24 Volts on the loose can WELD and cause all kind of greif to body parts or batery terminals, litery melting them to a puddle of lead. Wallys in at less than $2oo.oo.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get blemish batteries from the interstate dealer warehouse in columbia. Optimas, red top, 1000cca, $60 NEW. Also can get 'standard' 1000cca batteries for $35...

I'll never buy a retail battery again.

Anyone have any battery requests for GA? I could buy a bunch and bring them down...

Last edited:

derby

850 cca Wally specials, no failures yet and 2 yrs free replacement. under $200 .They start well in Michigan cold weather. I have had 10 6tl's to trade in for core some were only 2 yrs old. I will never buy a 6 tl boat anchor !! Yes make shure the terminals are tight ! I had a fire work display once on a marginal batt connector.

scrapman

The 6TLs have a CCA875 rating so as long as you meet that you will be okay. Batteries on this forum are similar to pork chops, every body has their own special recipe and their method is the only way to go. Myself the way I solved the problem was to always park on a hill;-) Blems $40 each.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We only have 3 seasons in FL. Summer, January and Hurricane. With that said, no cold. I use the cheapest line of battery that the closest battery seller has. 4 or 5 years later I do the same. Can't remember ever spending more than $100 on batts.

donkdonk

I get blemish batteries from the interstate dealer warehouse in columbia. Optimas, red top, 1000cca, $60 NEW. Also can get 'standard' 1000cca batteries for $35...
I get my batteries from Interstate as well. Just look in the phone book for Interstate Batteries and call to see what "blems" they have in stock. I pay $30 for the group 31 1000 CCA batteries and they give me a 90 day warranty. Can't beat it.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The 6TLs have a CCA875 rating so as long as you meet that you will be okay. Batteries on this forum are similar to pork chops, every body has their own special recipe and their method is the only way to go. Myself the way I solved the problem was to always park on a hill;-) Blems $40 each.
Had any issues arise from your dogbone being bent at such an angle? I had to bend the dogbone to get the Optima's in Clinto g/f's truck and I didn't like it. I have considered makign a shorter dogbone for the trucks we have w/ Optimas.

Attachments

Last edited:

number9

Was at Tractor Supply tonight and seen these batteries. Are these the right size for the Deuce? Part # is HP-31E......... does that mean they are 31 series batteries?

Attachments

Keith_J

CCAs are not as important since this is a 24 volt system. Total capacity IS important for extended cranking. But most don't need this unless it gets real cold.

Largest batteries from Wal Mart should work.