• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce bumper illegal in CT

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of the suggestions above sound so much like "Money Laundering", except I suppose this would be "MV Laundering", that I am officially questioning if this breaks the SS Site Rules on posting suggestions of ILLEGAL activity.

If one makes statements such as "until your neighbors or local PD notice" then there's probably a
BIG RED FLAG on the suggestion.

IMHO
:doh: 2cents :deadhorse: :shock: :shrugs:

:burn:

:whistle:

skinnyR1

Some of the suggestions above sound so much like "Money Laundering", except I suppose this would be "MV Laundering", that I am officially questioning if this breaks the SS Site Rules on posting suggestions of ILLEGAL activity.

If one makes statements such as "until your neighbors or local PD notice" then there's probably a
BIG RED FLAG on the suggestion.

IMHO
:doh: 2cents :deadhorse: :shock: :shrugs:

:burn:

:whistle:
Thank you for your comment and concern. I will clarify only one point.

Maine registration. Legal if your vehicle spends 1/2 the year or more in Maine. Not recommended for this particular instance, as the owner probably doesn't spend that much time there. The only way to do it legally with Maine registration is if you still pay CT property taxes on the vehicle, or it spends that much time in Maine.

As for the rest of my advice, as far as I know as a standard issue Connecticut tax paying citizen, it is all completely above board, and legal.

palskidoo

I stated 13500 lbs and 5000 lb load max. Private use only with antique plates.

I did the same thing initially but now that puts the truck at 18,500# and federal inspection kicks in at 18000# (someone else can clarify I don't 100% remember). So I put down a load max of 1000# (per the suggestion of the teller at the DMV) and the total loaded vehicle weight was 14500# and not requiring the inspection.

And private use with antique plates as well.

skinnyR1

I did the same thing initially but now that puts the truck at 18,500# and federal inspection kicks in at 18000# (someone else can clarify I don't 100% remember). So I put down a load max of 1000# (per the suggestion of the teller at the DMV) and the total loaded vehicle weight was 14500# and not requiring the inspection.

And private use with antique plates as well.
This leads more to my point. Yes, those weight numbers did probably confuse them behind the counter. But nobody behind the desk at the ct dmv has a clue. Gvwr for antique is irrelevant.

Look at your reg for antique. There is no gvwr stated. But you wont find any dmv section laws dealing with it as they are operating off the cuff. uploadfromtaptalk1402515760849.jpg

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SkinnyR1:
Thanks for the clarification. Thank you for not taking offense where certainly none was intended.

So often when we have threads about Titling, Registration, and the various States' Laws concerning such for MVs, and the 50 States have their own approaches to the same problem. Many States' Laws seem unreasonable. Owners feel abused or oppressed by their jurisdiction's special flaming hoops through which they must jump. And ultimately we humans are tempted to circumvent perceived obstacles by sneaking across State lines 'cause the "Grass is Greener on the other side."

I am subscribed to this thread, and have repeated bitten my tongue and twiddled my fingers so that I wouldn't say or type comparisons between Connecticut and Texas... Two completely polarized states with regard to the treatment of Former Military Vehicles, and inherently their owners.

In a perfect world, I would envision threads about CONNECTICUT's Laws being confined to ONLY comments, FACTS, and discussion of that State's situation. But alas, we don't live in a perfect world and threads rapidly revert to "Comparison Contests" and lose their State-specific focus by well-intentioned, yet ultimately hijacking side-thoughts. (this rant included)

With that I will again back out of the discussion, slip once more into the shadows of spectatorship, and enjoy the entertainment.

Carry on.

zout

What amazes me with these types of threads that deal locally with stuff like this - is how may members post stuff pertaining with suggestions from other States and not dealing directly with (the STATE) to who the OP is posting from.

Even more interesting it takes this many posts to deal with an issue locally in the OP's area.

Wonder what they would allow in New Zealand ? And would it be the same ruling in CT ?

acesneights1

Ct is rapidly becoming the worst state in the nation and you have to lie cheat and steal to get what you should get legally. There is no regulations for Antique and these MV's have always qualified except the stuttering moron we have for a Governor has a hair across his ass for anything that isn't a rainbow flag with a pink unicorn. Them there is the facts. So if there is a loophole, use it. They actually called people who own ATV's terrorists.
My Deuce will make a nice moving truck when I find a job in NH.
I can tell you now the bumper won't be enough, they will keep finding things until you give up. You can thank that ******* Wilcox and Avon Mountain.

Last edited:

dstang97

My deuce was the easiest thing I have ever registered. The only time I left with a smile on my face and they did not even threaten me to leave. If you need help pm me. I will give you my number.

Iski

Dstang97 what year did you register her? I was polite to the point of getting nauseousness. Still my complaint is that only two sites do the vin verification so one travels the highways crossing the state maybe 5 times to get a copy of what must be done. One would expect the rules and laws to be more public or definate. When I call I get a busy signal. I'll keep calling;)

Last edited:

Iski

dstang97 you could be right, but I'm just trying to follow the rules. I just got a call through to wethersfield, and the gentlmen was very nice and professional. He told me that all I need to do is have all of the lights working, (that sort of stuff), and make sure that the bumper is at or below 22 inches off the road, and extend to within 18 inches from the sides of the truck. I will see if I can get time off to run her through again tomorrow. It may not be as hard as I am imagining. It may also be that the local DMV folkes I have met so far are unsure and playing it safe by telling me to talk to wethersfield. They really are not rude, just buissness like. I think that they get a full week of grumpy clients, and I would rather not join in on the grumpness:)

Thanks
Iski

skinnyR1

I'll say and suggest this once again.

Try a different dmv, or heck, go the same dmv and get a different person. You will probably get a different result. You have everything you need. VIN check, insurance, bill of sale. Ownership chain, SF97, which is accepted everywhere. That is all you need. It is just an old antique truck, as dstang97 eludes to.

Why do I suggest this? Because it has indeed worked for me in the past. I am not just speaking on assumption. One dmv says I don't have the correct paperwork, or my vehicle requires a full inspection? Where does it say that in the regulation? Answer: Nowwhere, but it is that way because the dmv person says so. Me: Ok, yes sir thank you. I then go to the next dmv two towns over. Using now what I know, the relevant information is relayed, and I omit as needed. Is this unlawful? Absolutely not, as I am only providing the bare minimum information, instead of volunteering too much. Success.

I am frustrated for you Iski, and want to see you get through this.

ke5eua

What I don't understand, and granted I'm from Louisiana but to me if you are registering it as an antique and you modify it, it is no longer in it's original configuration.

In Louisiana we can go to the state police and get a vin check, ya'll can do the same? A vin check is just that, check the vin, don't worry about the rest.

I really fell bad for ya'll in CT.

skinnyR1

dstang97 you could be right, but I'm just trying to follow the rules. I just got a call through to wethersfield, and the gentlmen was very nice and professional. He told me that all I need to do is have all of the lights working, (that sort of stuff), and make sure that the bumper is at or below 22 inches off the road, and extend to within 18 inches from the sides of the truck.
Forgive me please. They gave you passenger car bumper heights! Another DMV person giving you WRONG information. The bumper law clearly states 30" for trucks off the ground, not 22". If they told you 22", then I am further flabbergasted.

If you decide to go this route and jump through their bumper height hoops;

The sheet that the dmv cop at Wethersfield has two sections. Their photo copy that they love to hand out. If I recall, the top says 24" for newer trucks, while older trucks beyond a certain year are grandfathered at 30." We would be 30"

I don't have time to scour the internet for the proper motor vehicle code.

dstang97

As far as I'm concerned I own a 1970 am general pick up truck. That is all they need to know. I did everything legal. Even put down m35a2c as a model. You need to go to the old saybrook one with the vin check paper and a bill of sale. That is it. Don't say anything else. And you need to go 20 minuets before they close. They want to get out of there and do things a lot faster when they want to go home also. Took years to figure out the ct DMV. Beat them at their own game.

CycleJay

Would bring up that all these military trucks met federal government standards when built and that unless they can show that all trucks have to be retrofitted to current standard they are incorrect in failing your truck.
I agree.
Also, I would think, it being a military vehicle it would be exempt from such ridiculous regulations anyway.
I know that in here in Georgia. A military vehicle is exempt from having to display a license plate.

So one night years ago, an officer pulled me over, and said he did so because I had no light over my license plate.
And when I told and showed him my truck was military, he then could not cite me for not having a light,
since I was NOT required to even mount the plate. I only had it mounted to avoid the hassle of getting pulled over all the time,
for NOT having it mounted.

However, now that I know that license plates and registration are NOT required at all in the U.S..
I flipped mine around, as a base for my new "Private Property, Not for hire" plate.. LOL

So they can now kiss my ass, since I have not renewed my plate this year, or ever will again.. LOL

GOD bless America. I love exercising our rights..

CJ out..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks