• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce cranks but no start - ITP source?

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The motor is not coupled directly to the impeller, are you sure the impeller spins?
Second that! That is a magnetic drive, not shaft driven. If you are positive your impeller spins, then there are only three other options: 1) the intake screen is plugged (no fuel to the impeller), 2) the impeller is screwed up, deformed, worn out, or clogged with something. 3) the outgoing (discharge) line is plugged or restricted. I'd say you need to put it in a bucket of fuel and run 24 volts to it and try to diagnose it where you can see what it actually going on with the pump.

jsthnt@gmail.com

I watched it spin. I put on 2 different hoses and blew thru them. But could the pump be spinning backward. All the pumps I have are take offs and did not look to see if it is spinning the right way.

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, back on track. I finally got around to working on my deuce some more. I have the new in-tank pump installed and power to it. It runs when the switch is on. It creates awesome fuel flow. I have fuel flow all the way through the system...through the primary and secondary fuel filters, at each injector, and the return line back to the tank. When I crank the engine, nothing happens, even with a shot of ether. Ideas?

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I wondered the same thing. What befuddles me is that it ran just fine when I backed it in the machine shed last fall. Is it possible that something froze last winter? I have the batteries charging tonight. Tomorrow, I will try it again with good batteries and see what happens.

Heath_h49008

You have double checked the shut-down right? That is the number one source of "Ran fine then nothing" threads. With loss of the button or bowtie washer a close second and third....

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are talking about the fuel cutoff lever on the IP? I checked that this spring when this all started. I have to admit that I haven't looked at it since I have replaced the ITP. It could be sticking. I'll look at it again.

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After a summer of being swamped with work and the farm, I have only managed to tinker with this problem on one or two occaisions. Now, I finally have a chance to work on it. After working on it last night and all day today, I am getting very frustrated. Here is what I have. A new ITP that works great, new fuel filters. Good fuel flow to all injectors and back to the tank. The cutoff lever is not stuck and works freely. It does not start or even act like it wants to start even on ether. I was thinking about replacing the HH, but I'm not convinced that is the problem. I would think that it should still start with ether and run for a few seconds. Am I off base? I am about ready to scrap this whole project. I hate stuff sitting around that I can't use or fix. Am spending my lunch poring over more TMs. Anybody have any more idea's?

mbehne

Very inexperienced to these trucks but not to engines in general. With that said, if it won't hit on ether, you either are not getting air/either into the engine(possible mouse nest in the intake) or you don't have the compression to light it. I haven't ever looked at the internal components connecting the crank to the cam but I assume it uses a timing chain to run the ip and cam. Have you looked to make sure the valve train is turning when you crank it over?

Those are a few things that came to my mind...because of the ether not making it hit. If you get to your wits end, I'm not far away if you need a second set of eyes.

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I forgot to mention that the air cleaner is new and not plugged, but your compression comments got me thinking. I wondered if it wasn't cranking fast enough to light it. I had charged up the batteries, but I thought it might be cranking too slow. I dragged it out of the machine shed, hooked it behind the tractor, put my wife behind the wheel, and pull-started it in the field. Bam, it started instantly and ran perfectly. It didn't sound like it was cranking any slower than normal, but maybe my batteries are too weak to spin it fast enough. Does that sound plausible?

Last edited:

mbehne

Montrose. Glad you got it back to life, nothing like beating your head against the wall.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks