• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce driver with gonads

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
C'mon folks, this is the 21st Century. All you need is a credit card with a high limit and a charged smart phone. If you're the boyscout type, a Gerber Multiplier.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
C'mon folks, this is the 21st Century. All you need is a credit card with a high limit and a charged smart phone. If you're the boyscout type, a Gerber Multiplier.
I guess you have a point. You can either have no dollars and a lot of sense, or a high credit limit and no sense. I guess I've spent too much time among those who are the former. :)

m816

I don't see the problem here at all. I've recovered several trucks the same way. all you need is a charged cell phone, some beer and ice and a sense of adventure. It does help if you are traveling through Guntruck territory. I broke down in Knoxville Tenn. and along came Bud Whitehead from the Eve of Destruction. He had his mechanic get us back on the road and followed us to his Mansion in Tenn where we drank a lot of been and made our future plans in a safe and secure location. Those are the stories of a life time. Good Luck Josh

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Basic tools and fluids eh? Beer and a bottle opener! Haha. I know of several folks who would show up at a multi day event where we were camping and arrive with nothing more than a cooler jammed full of beer and ice.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow- When I recovered my 814, I had a towed chase vehicle, enough tools to do everything but change an axle or engine, and enough fluids to replace everything twice. And it was only an 800 mile recovery.:mrgreen::jumpin::cookoo:

rickf

Depending on the bike I would guess that getting it in and out by yourself might be a chore. Well, maybe not out, YEEHAAWWWW!

Rick

When I did my 580-mile recovery, all I took was a AAA map pouch, my 209pc Craftsman set, my Craftsman tool pouch with Gorilla Tape, a roll of masking tape, 3 rolls of electrical tape, a can of silicone spray lube (used to free up the stuck accelerator pedal and re-start the engine when I ran out of fuel), and my laptop with the TMs all saved in "My Documents/Deuce Tech Info".
Aside from making the mistake if putting a little too much trust in the fuel gauge, she ran like a top and showed no sign of doing anything but running great!
When I stopped at my buddy's house on the way back and we added a 1/2-gallon of cotton cloth-strained WMO, 2 quarts of ATF (new), 2 quarts of 2-stroke oil (new), 1/2-gallon of clear lamp oil, 2 partial cans of WD40 (with no pressure), a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil, and a 1/2-gallon of gasoline (used to rinse out the oil containers and funnel), she ran even better with more low-end torque and better power climbing hills. IMMAGINE THAT! :mrgreen:
Right before I moved from Yucaipa to Banning a couple months ago, I poured 5 gallons of strained WMO in my tank and then took the deuce around the corner to the gas station to throw in a gallon of gas to thin up the WMO, a guy walked up to me and said "Isn't that truck a diesel?" I said "Yes Sir, 465LDT Multifuel.", so he says "You realize you're putting gasiline in that tank don't you? You can't put gasoline in a diesel, you'll blow that motor apart!", I replied "The gas is just to thin out the waste motor oil I poured in up the street.". The look on his face was FREAKING PRICELESS! rofl

phil2968

Basic tools and fluids eh? Beer and a bottle opener! Haha. I know of several folks who would show up at a multi day event where we were camping and arrive with nothing more than a cooler jammed full of beer and ice.
Hey, that's all I needed at the Florida rally! Mike brought the grub!
Who in Tampa sold their 109?

dmetalmiki

Well gonads are hard to come by as you get older..and I certainly feel less confident as the years progress...So saturday I set off with my M62 wrecker all fueled up with (mix) aqtf deisel and petrol wmo....pulling my 4ton army trailer for the trip to the new hangerage 200 miles away...Deu to SERIOUSE problems no pictures...(as the tow hitch broke and we had to suspend tow the trailer 150 miles.) after jury rigging the lights on the trailer to work correctly. (the emergeancy wire snatch brake worked Perfectly but the wiring lead ripped.) I was driving within definate "care limitations" 1500 rps 30 mph. Safe steady but slow and sure. JUST AS WELL!
the rest of the journey (heart in mouth and butterflies!) took 6 hours. (of worry) was SO pleased to see the new garage hove into view....(phew!)
The wrecker ran faultlessly smooth and power a plenty. definately runs great (better) on the "mix".
The return trip in the ZILL was a drama as well! as it cut out completely after 90 miles just outside a farm miles from anywhere..NO electric nothing! we thought the battery was dead and the (cummins 330 turbo fitted) shut off deu to no solenoid power. The farmer came out , discussed the problem..Took my battery to charge it, lent us another good one and gave us a tow off with his 4x4 to save power as we also thought the lack of electric deu to no charging.
I will return his kit and swap batteries on the return trip next to the new garaging. He was a definate road angel. we were very fortunate. Got home late but ok..it cut out on the driveway! turned out to be a dodgy connection on the starter motor!!...all in all an exiting weekend out!. anyway many thanks to my nephew ( he did all the driving on the return) and the farmer for his fanatsic help.
As my lad said at the time when I was (allmost) all for giving up the trip and returning home!..HA! BUT,,we are the Kiddies..we HAVE the techno, and we CAN'T be beat..so..Let's GO ON!...lol.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't take a brand new car 1300 miles across several states with no tools or fluids.

I have just as much "sense of adventure" as the next guy, been on several. Thats why I wouln't do it again. Being broke down alongside the highway is not an adventure, its a pain in the keester.

JH1

I wouldn't own a new car, much less trust it for 1300 miles. I'd rather have something from the 60's and have Redbeardthezombiehunter ride along on the recovery. Guaranteed, we'd get there ok.
Jim

I wouldn't own a new car, much less trust it for 1300 miles. I'd rather have something from the 60's and have Redbeardthezombiehunter ride along on the recovery. Guaranteed, we'd get there ok.
Jim
Thanks for the vote of confidence Jim! I'm no miracle worker, but I am a gearhead with a good immagination that assists me in my problem-solving skills.
:jumpin:

Emmett

We never really discussed his route or planned stops...I did give him about a quart of Dot 4.

An interesting note is that the cab cover (plastic) was rotting. In fact there was a large "vent" just over the drivers seat. Somehow I doubt there will be much left by now. Ha ha, probably looks like ****, the top flapping in the rain.

At about noon, I got a text stating he was 60 miles north of New Orleans keeping 55 and everything running well. Latest is he is enroute to Memphis...so far, so good.

This is about the only kind of drama I enjoy...still rootin' for him! :driver:[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks