• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Driving lights

FL_Frank

Hey all - Well, decided that it's time to be able to see a little better while driving at night, so time for a few driving lights. These are the cheap HarborFreight lights which can be had for $9.99 (either pair of driving or flood) when they go on sale. They are 12v 55w, but since they use standard H3 bulbs, I picked up some H3 100W 24v bulbs for ~$2.60 each.

Made a light bar out of angle iron as I didn't want it to flex and bolted it to existing bolts on the front bumper to keep the amount of holes in the Deuce to a minimum. Little grinding and a few holes and it fit like a champ.

For the lights, to prevent the miniature aquarium look as they are mounted upside down, I flipped the reflector and drilled another drain hole in the back of the housing so they can drain.

Turned out fairly good I think....just have to figure out where to mount the floods now and not have it look too gaudy.

-Frank

Attachments

Last edited:

Dodge man

7 x 100 Watt plus 2 standard headlights! Darn, Frank! I'd hate to meet you coming down the road! It would probably be like looking into the sun. Just don't get too close to the guy in front of you or you're likely to blister his paint! I don't know about Florida but in most states you're only allowed to have four headlights, good thing you're not in Va or they'd pull you over in a heart beat!

:razz:

FL_Frank

<added one more pix>

Plan on using 2 of them for driving, the other 3 for brights. Separate Bosch 12v relays with a resistor for the coil so I don't roast them. Will add a 3rd relay for the floods.

There are 130W H3s available at 24v as well, but they are really pricey....figured 100w is just fine as have run (3) 100W floods on my F150 for years. It really helps seeing just about anything (like Bambi), unless as you point our you are out in front of the truck, but am very careful where I turn them on. =)

Green_gator

Interesting idea on those lights. Only issue I could see with them here in Florida is how well do they stand up under water? They would have been submerged at the Florida Rally this year.

FL_Frank

Getting wet in rain would probably be ok as they are designed to drain - especially with the holes I drilled in them. Submerging them in mud would probably not be a good thing as they'd fill right up with grit, but taking the lenses off is easy and they should survive a good hosing afterward.

Everything is soldered (old habit) and the relays are up in the cab, so all that should be fine.

For ~$8 a light (with new bulb) - I wasn't looking to become a U-boat commander with them, just making it so I can see a bit better at night. =)

Josh

Napa can get 24v bulbs for just about anything, just talk to an old guy who knows his stuff.

Also as for harbor freight lights, I have 6 sets of these on my landcruiser.
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

was thinking of putting a couple sets on the deuce just wired in series.

They arnt the brightest lights in the world, but when you put 12 of them, + a pair of 175w high beams from the normal head lights, it tends to turn night into dusk.

OT - Scott you really should sell me those westcoast mirrors.

Last edited:

srodocker

that helps! if napa has them for cheaper which i doubt i'll go through them :) i need 2 bulbs for the front and 3 bulbs 2 for backup lights and 1 for the searchlight

dmetalmiki

We use voltswagon golf headlight shell backs..and (flat) glass (which fit M series straight in) and contenental 24V 90/100 watt prefucus bulbs. (easy and cheap to change ) instead of sealed beams. see PLENTY well and are adjusted low and curtiouse as the speed driven is well withen thier range. also looks original and in keeping with the classic condition.

Attachments

Last edited:

sandcobra164

I've got trucklite 7" LED's in mine and couldn't be happier. Oncoming traffic hates me though, they flash their brights and I flash mine and they quickly go back to dims.

Parker2

We use voltswagon golf headlight shell backs..and (flat) glass (which fit M series straight in) and contenental 24V 90/100 watt prefucus bulbs. (easy and cheap to change ) instead of sealed beams. see PLENTY well and are adjusted low and curtiouse as the speed driven is well withen thier range. also looks original and in keeping with the classic condition.

Wow!! Awesome truck!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks