• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce electric wipers

Blood_of_Tyrants

Vacuum operated wipers disappeared off passenger cars in the late forties or early fifties. Why they kept them on military vehicles into the 70's is beyond stupid.

Crazyguyla

there is a kit to retrofit electric wipers on an A2. I caught the ire of our chief when i ordered the kits for my battery's dueces. He said spend the end of the year $$$$. He just failed to say what not to spend it on.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm 40 or so miles closer to you than bigmike. I think you should send them my way..shipping would be less!!! :twisted:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Blood_of_Tyrants said:
Vacuum operated wipers disappeared off passenger cars in the late forties or early fifties. Why they kept them on military vehicles into the 70's is beyond stupid.
I suspect somewhere in his library of info, David Doyle has some kind of official Army opinion(s) regarding the vacuum wipers, bit if I had to guess, id' say they kept them so long for a couple of reasons.

A. Alternator dies, so you have to run the vehicle with the electrical system off until you can get to a place where the alternator can be replaced. it might rain/snow in the meantime.

B. EMP worries?

I think if you look at the kind of vehicles the military has fielded in the last 60 or so years, to me it appears their outlook is changing. I think.....in the past, there seemed to be more planning for all kinds of conflict, everything from low intensity police actions, to major WWII type scenarios. The older M-series vehicles, like our Deuces, reflect that worldview.

The newer vehicles seem to say that the military only expects the conflicts of the future to resemble Iraq, where a vehicle becomes disabled and it gets towed to a rear area where it can be safely fixed by technicians with laptops.

emr

clinto, I think U are right on for the thinking of the transport needs of our Army, although the world is alot smaller today than it was during WW2, They may be right? BUT I believe the smarter than normal guys also said we didnt need the worthog anymore, and that Armour was going to be a thing of the past too, and I have read in some Mil posts rercently,there are still guys who say armour is a thing of the past? go figure, although i really like the FMTV's ,I have to say the M series RULE!!! As for the wipers I have been lucky enough to get a set of the Mil omes they are putting on older deuces in stock, I love the retro air wipers and find it adds that realism to a M series, they are just fine , for a hobby truck, so I sold em,.Randy

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One big advantage with the air powered ones is that they can be operated manually.
There are heavy duty air wipers that will fit that was/are used on big rigs (=commercial trucks).

halftrack

I don't think the problem is so much that the M-series wipers are air operated but is more or less the problem being the actual wiper blades themselves. All of my truck's air operated wiper motors work just fine and I can fine tune them to the speed I want. However, the blades do a terrible job of clearing the windshield. Does anyone make a nice retro wiper blade? Does anyone else agree with this?

FreightTrain

Banned
ummm,ok,now where is the handle to manually run them if you lose all electrical power?That is the feature I love on my Air powered ones.If they don't work make them!I did for 450 miles this weekend!